Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone on here can recommend where I can find someone willing to help me rebuild a 2007 KX450f.

This project has been sitting idle since last October when I sunk the bike in a water hole. I have run endless ads in CL in search of a mechanic to rebuild this motor with me... instead of for me.

I went to MMI back in 98 but it ended up being just a waste of time and money. Want to turn this negative experience into a positive one.

Figure if I'm going to spent the money on a rebuild I might as well learn something. At this point I would rather just part the bike out then drop the motor off at a rebuild shop and not learn anything.

Problem is I really don't know what these parts are worth as there isn't much stuff on eBay to compare it to.

So to end this I have two questions? 1) does anyone know anyone in the "Portland Maine" area who could help me rebuild this motor. I would of course pay them for their time.

2) if I part it out what are the big parts worth? Engine, frame, carb, wheels? I can buy a running bike the same year for $2500.

I tried to sell my bike whole "as is"for $1700 but had no luck. Best low ball offer was $1000.

No one actually came and looked at the bike. These were just text offers. I paid $2500 for the bike and got about 6 rides out of it. Didn't want to take a $1000 loss because I made a split second decision to go left instead of right. So at this point I have a lot of choices. Just need some "what would you do" advise. Thanks in advance for any advise. The ZX10 by the way is running perfect as usual. Thanks Mike

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
I'll give you $900 for it as it is.

:lol: I wish I was closer cause it sounds like a cool project. Never done one myself, but it's only a quarter of a 10R motor, so how hard can it be?

If you've got any mechanical ability (sounds like it), then just buy the factory service manual and go for it. Everything you need to know should be in there.

I'd be really worried about the major parts of the motor at this point. Depending on what you did to preserve it over the last year, you may be dealing with rusted internal parts along with bent stuff. While a fun project it may be, it may also turn into a money pit. It may be cheaper just to get a new motor.

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no 07 motors. To big a job for me to attempt myself. To many little parts. It would end up being a box of parts. I found wet mud today behind the timing cover.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
There are no 07 motors. To big a job for me to attempt myself. To many little parts. It would end up being a box of parts. I found wet mud today behind the timing cover.
That sounds like it'll cost around $3500 to rebuild....damn 4 strokes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Opened the motor up today. Everything looked beautiful. Motor had never been apart. Guy who helped me said the motor had no miles on it at all. Head, valves, piston, cylinder wall were all broke in beautifully.

Turns out when the cylinder filled with water and I kicked it.... The timing skipped a tooth from the pressure. That's why it wouldn't start and had low compression. There was however a little dirt in bottom end so I'm going to have the cases spit and everything cleaned. Gonna do a new oem piston & rings. Have the valves cleaned and reseated and maybe a port job for better low to mid range. So I'll be happy as long as I can get the work done this week.
Sent from my iPad

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Opened the motor up today. Everything looked beautiful. Motor had never been apart. Guy who helped me said the motor had no miles on it at all. Head, valves, piston, cylinder wall were all broke in beautifully.

Turns out when the cylinder filled with water and I kicked it.... The timing skipped a tooth from the pressure. That's why it wouldn't start and had low compression. There was however a little dirt in bottom end so I'm going to have the cases spit and everything cleaned. Gonna do a new oem piston & rings. Have the valves cleaned and reseated and maybe a port job for better low to mid range. So I'll be happy as long as I can get the work done this week.

Sent from my iPad

Sweet deal!

Make sure you check and double check the connecting rod too. They can bend slightly when stopped like that and it will shorten the stroke. With a shorter stroke it may be part of the reason the compression is low. I'd probably replace it with the piston to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Piston went up and down nice and smooth. Appeared to go right to the top. Everything looked new inside. I know this is a crazy thought but what if I poured like 10 quarts of new motor oil all over everything in the crank case. Just let it all flow through and over everything. Could it possibly wash all the dirt away and out the drain?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Piston went up and down nice and smooth. Appeared to go right to the top. Everything looked new inside. I know this is a crazy thought but what if I poured like 10 quarts of new motor oil all over everything in the crank case. Just let it all flow through and over everything. Could it possibly wash all the dirt away and out the drain?

Yeah, the rod could be bent slightly and still be smooth. But the stroke could be reduced by several hundredths off and inch and you wouldn't be able to see it visually. Just something to check whenever a motor hydrolocks.

Pouring oil in the case won't really do much. I'd use compressed air to blow out the crank passages or pump the oil through them. But from your description it's probably not that crucial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts