Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a tire change on my 08 zx10. I reinstalled my rear wheel and tightened the 18mm nut to 80 ft/lbs according to the repair manual and noticed the wheel would not spin without a lot of effort in neutral. Could this be a sign of bad bearings?
FYI I just had the wheels powder coated. I have 15k miles on the chain and front sprocket but the rear sprocket has less than 3k

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Check the spacers. You should be good from there.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Are you sure the chain isn't too tight? or try backing off the axle nut a half or full turn and see if that helps? best of luck though and your adjuster blocks are even on both sides of the swingarm right?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure the chain isn't too tight? or try backing off the axle nut a half or full turn and see if that helps? best of luck though and your adjuster blocks are even on both sides of the swingarm right?
The chain is a little tight. I will check the adjuster blocks in the morning. Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think there are spacer issues. I tight chain will not hamper the rotation of the rear wheel (only a tight chain). Magic is right, spacers gets left off and people totally forget to add them to the re-install. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Post a video. I'll tell you whats wrong after you do. Show me your rear caliper and both sides of the axel

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Are you sure you didn't just tighten the axle bolt TOO tight? or did you grease/lube the rear axle before re-installing? that's probably not what it is but i'm trying to think of any little thing that might be causeing this other than the mentioned spacers but the powdercoating question is a good one, the bearings should have been removed before coating took place.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, since you checked all "3" spacers and 3 spacers are installed, did the person who powdercoated your wheels remove the bearings during this process?
The bearings were removed during the powdercoating process but they assured me that they had equipment that would not damage the bearings during the removal and the original bearings could be used again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I removed the wheel and noticed the collar (part#92152) was loose. I have to work tonight but I will record a video early tomorrow morning so you guys can see for yourself. I really appreciate all of the feedback because the dealer estimated it would cost $140 + parts and wasn't sure if it was the bearings or chain causing the problem

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I removed the wheel and noticed the collar (part#92152) was loose. I have to work tonight but I will record a video early tomorrow morning so you guys can see for yourself. I really appreciate all of the feedback because the dealer estimated it would cost $140 + parts and wasn't sure if it was the bearings or chain causing the problem
I've got some spare NSK Non-Contact bearings ( VV seals) that I probably won't use.

If you need new ones, I would probably let them go for a decent price.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The bearings were removed during the powdercoating process but they assured me that they had equipment that would not damage the bearings during the removal and the original bearings could be used again.
I cannot recommend anything that has not already been covered.:dontknow:

I can say that I personally do not reuse bearings. The only time that I might consider it is "if" I could remove the old bearing by pressing it out on the outer race. This is not possible in your wheels.

I'm sure they have the proper tools to remove bearings and all, but they were still pulled out by the inner race which puts pressure on the the ball bearings and seals until the outer race slides out.

Hopefully you'll find a simple solution.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like your missing the spacer behind the sprocket as I originally suspected.
Is the spacer that's missing silver or does it look like the other two spacers? My powdercoating guy left a silver tube inside of one the front rotor packages but I had no idea what it was. I figured he put everything back the way I gave it to him

1 - 20 of 20 Posts