Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very slow leak in my rear tire. I was wondering, can it be patched or do I just need to replace it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
IDK, would you trust that plug at 150+ mph? or at a real aggressive lean angle? IMO it's worth the piece of mind to replace the tire.:2cents: I personally wouldn't be able to get it out of my mind, knowing it's there.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I agree completely. Once I posted this, I should have just deleted it. Its not like a car that still has 3 other tires and which you have time to react. Loose the rear tire on a bike and just hope and pray. Im going to get it replaced.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
i have had my rear tire patched 1 inch from the edge of the tire and been fine. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL!!!! its pretty damn risky. The only way I can agree with it now is if its in the center of the tire, but even still you shouldn't ride as hard. And if you fix it, inside patch ONLY!!! But in reality yes the tire should be replaced.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i patch mine from the inside.i used plugs for years just fine til i learned to patch it myself.most people won't do it.if the patch does'nt work , then it's just a slow leak -again.

·
Banned
257 Posts
slow leak?
keep putting air in it if the treads good.
moneys tight nowadays, at least down here:sad:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Use a proper 'mushroom' patch, no problems. I ran one of mine on the 12r at over 300k many times with a plug in 'er. As long as it's done properly it's not a problem.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ive used the mushroom plugs many times on commuter tires and maybe only once rode aggressively on them. recently on my 10 i used one of the more expensive push in plugs from kragen and to my surprise it worked fine. on my commute nowadays im normally at a stop light every other minute so if my plug escaped i would most likely know as i went to a stop before the tire actually went flat.

·
Registered
844 Posts
it's the tar coated small rope that most people put in car tires.they're about 6'' long and when you push it into the hole-it doubles.it seals the hole.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Robably not going to find anyone that will be willing to patch it, atleast I had no luck. I had a puncture in the center of my rear tire and it owuld go flat about ever 3 days or so. Well VAMAFIA and I took a torch and heated it up real good "being extremely careful not to ruin the tire" then worked the area with a spoon to seal up the hole. Hasn't leaked since. We only did this cause the tire only had about 100 miles on it. After we got it sealed back up I took it out on the road and heated it up real good and that's it. It doesn't seem to have interuptes the integrity of the tire but time will only tell. I'm going to put a new set on the bike next month. But this method got me through last season

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Excuse the spelling, I have fat thumbs and I'm on my phone typing this.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
When I got my tire patched the dealer didn't want to do it and tried to refuse it. I told him if I need to sign a waiver I'd do it. Wasn't a issue after but they did still say it should be change and didn't recommend riding on it for long.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i get alot of business in my shop of things like that , that a dealership/bike shop won't do.people call me at 7 p.m. need'n help because shops are closed-i'm there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts