Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The positive so far is your not paying workshop prices for time it's taken so far. There's no fault code so I personally would disregard camshaft sensors etc, but haho you never know. Did the previous owner have these problems is that why he had spare throttle bodies etc? I'm back on the ECU idea my self.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The positive so far is your not paying workshop prices for time it's taken so far. There's no fault code so I personally would disregard camshaft sensors etc, but haho you never know. Did the previous owner have these problems is that why he had spare throttle bodies etc? I'm back on the ECU idea my self.
Yea the bike had these problems when I bought it but I got it really cheap and assumed it was fuel pump or injector problems bc of the rusty tank, all the parts that I’ve replaced have been ordered btw. They did not come with the bike

·
Registered
792 Posts
So your engine stuumbles then stalls above 8Krpm. With a light load, you can manage up to 10Krpm. Correct?

There are no codes indicating a sensor problem. And the CPU hasn't been reflashed, per the previous owner.

Despite swapping throttle bodies (It's unlikely used donor parts would have the EXACT SAME issue), fuel pump, spark plugs, battery/charging system checked, symptoms remain unchanged. (BTW what did the old plugs look like?)
Checking/cleaning injecttors even seeing them work around 8K makes no difference. And I take it (you have seen) the secondary butterflies are staying open.

So back to the basics: You appear to have fuel. Compression probably won't change over that short RPM range. Spark is the only thing you can't verify without the proper instrumentation.

I see everything through the eyes of an electronics tech, so I'm biased. But I can tell you that a resistance measurement doesn't always tell the whole story. The coils appear to be the only parts you haven't actually replaced. Dealers/repair shops used to have a device to actually measure the spark distance a coil could arc, I don't know how common that is nowadays. Saw that also at a salvage yard.. A good electronics repair place might also have a "ring tester", used for checking transformer inductance.

Hope that helps, otherwise you might try a used set from a reputable wrecker.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I believe it does but it would have been changed with the throttle body assm. They shipped ready to bolt on. I also just checked voltage on the battery under revs. It holds 14.5-14.8 volts consistently. I’m starting to wonder if it’s not the ecm. I’m going to attempt to check power the cam sensor and crank position sensor over the weekend. I just wish someone else had seen this problem before lol. It would make my life a lot easier
Also, I had a fan cut through an improperly routed cam position sensor wire. If that was it, it would definitely throw a code.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So your engine stuumbles then stalls above 8Krpm. With a light load, you can manage up to 10Krpm. Correct?

There are no codes indicating a sensor problem. And the CPU hasn't been reflashed, per the previous owner.

Despite swapping throttle bodies (It's unlikely used donor parts would have the EXACT SAME issue), fuel pump, spark plugs, battery/charging system checked, symptoms remain unchanged. (BTW what did the old plugs look like?)
Checking/cleaning injecttors even seeing them work around 8K makes no difference. And I take it (you have seen) the secondary butterflies are staying open.

So back to the basics: You appear to have fuel. Compression probably won't change over that short RPM range. Spark is the only thing you can't verify without the proper instrumentation.

I see everything through the eyes of an electronics tech, so I'm biased. But I can tell you that a resistance measurement doesn't always tell the whole story. The coils appear to be the only parts you haven't actually replaced. Dealers/repair shops used to have a device to actually measure the spark distance a coil could arc, I don't know how common that is nowadays. Saw that also at a salvage yard.. A good electronics repair place might also have a "ring tester", used for checking transformer inductance.

Hope that helps, otherwise you might try a used set from a reputable wrecker.
Yes, all correct. Spark plugs looked reasonably healthy, blackish brown, not burnt up bad or carbon build up. All were visibly the same. Yes butterflies are functioning, I thought at one point that could be the problem so I did the delete mod with no change, so I reinstalled.

Friday I lifted the tank to recheck all the connections up top on the secondaries and just disconnected and reconnected all the plugs. At the same time I removed the muffler, and disconnected the servo motor both from the muffler and from the harness. Took it down the road and it ran smooth all the way to redline twice, so I figured hey, some kind of magic, it’s fixed. Parked it and then came back to it yesterday morning to ride and low and behold, problem is still there. It’s the weirdest thing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If the exhaust servo is still disconnected then maybe it's a broken down wire or bad connection to the coil sticks.
Would the servo effect the coils?
When it ran perfect for that one ride it was disconnected and the fi light was on as it should be, when I rode it the next morning and it had the previous symptoms I tried with it reconnected and disconnected and it didn’t change anything.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would try and find someone willing to temporarily swap ECU's with you to see if the ECU if the problem. A local motorcycle page might help ya out there unless someone on here is willing to ship you their ECU for a security deposit, and you could just pay the shipping. One more thing to knock off if everything else fails.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I would try and find someone willing to temporarily swap ECU's with you to see if the ECU if the problem. A local motorcycle page might help ya out there unless someone on here is willing to ship you their ECU for a security deposit, and you could just pay the shipping. One more thing to knock off if everything else fails.
I put the word out looking for one. I just pulled the fuel pump again and opened it up, the filter looked really bad so I used carb cleaner to spray it all out nice and clean and reinstalled. Took it for a ride and it ran like a raped ape.. for abt 10 minutes and now although it better then it was it’s still not right. I think a new fuel pump is next

·
Registered
670 Posts
I put the word out looking for one. I just pulled the fuel pump again and opened it up, the filter looked really bad so I used carb cleaner to spray it all out nice and clean and reinstalled. Took it for a ride and it ran like a raped ape.. for abt 10 minutes and now although it better then it was it’s still not right. I think a new fuel pump is next
Hmm perhaps you're onto something then. Rust-free replacement tank? Because didn't you say the filter looked good the other day?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hmm perhaps you're onto something then. Rust-free replacement tank? Because didn't you say the filter looked good the other day?
From what I could see it was but I didn’t want to separate the fuel pump body, I decided to go for it today and the top half of the filter was clogged as mentioned. So, I just pulled it again, separated the body, blew out the pump to the best of my ability as well as the filter.. again.. and same thing happened. Ran great for abt 5-10 minutes then the symptoms came back.
So I’m thinking, pump gets weak the longer it runs? Possible?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts