Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: what can cause this, my gen4 zx10r starts nornal, then when it start displaying the temperature after some seconds it turns off by itself then is hard to start it again can do it only with throttle help and after stop twisting throttle it turns off again. I can only turn it on normally when is cold.

help please!

thanks in advance

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Welcome!

First, we're going to need just a TEENY bit more information from you. What do you mean by "turns off"? The motor quits? Or it looses electrical power? What mods are done to it? Anything recently? Garage kept or outside? How often is it ridden? Etc, etc. See where I'm going with this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the engine quits, electrical power is good., the starter was replaced recently, also I just replaced the gas pump (had not this issue before the gas pump replacement), The only mods done has been added a leo vince 3/4 exhaust and fi is turned on now. Recent engine bearings set installed (was running good after that as well). Always kept inside garage and not ridding it often due the recent fixes.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
the engine quits, electrical power is good., the starter was replaced recently, also I just replaced the gas pump (had not this issue before the gas pump replacement), The only mods done has been added a leo vince 3/4 exhaust and fi is turned on now. Recent engine bearings set installed (was running good after that as well). Always kept inside garage and not ridding it often due the recent fixes.
Well, I'll be honest as I'm still a bit confused. What bearings in the engine? Connecting rod bearings? Crankshaft bearings? Transmission bearings maybe? :dontknow: Those are the only bearings in there and they require a good amount of teardown to get to them.

But besides that, you've already answered your own question. It's most likely a fuel problem. Since the fuel pump was recently changed, that's likely the culprit. It's the most recent thing changed and if the pressure isn't correct, then the engine will die and be hard to start. What kind of fuel pump did you use? New OEM? Or used? Or aftermarket? First thing to check is the fuel pressure with the pump running to see what you're getting. And also make sure you don't have a pinched fuel line from when you put the tank back on. That can starve it for fuel also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all the rod bearing (8) and crankshaft bearing (10), that job was well done, bike was running great after that, also was not starting and replaced the starter and everything was good, except for it was loosing power at high revs so decided to replace the gas pump, I guess I will install back the old pump just to test it if it does not do the same thing that is doing right now.. then I could call for a gas pump warranty (it was used from ebay but supossedly in excellent condition) how can I test the pressure with the pump running? and the fuel line is not pinched, also I got a brand new hose for it too.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
all the rod bearing (8) and crankshaft bearing (10), that job was well done, bike was running great after that, also was not starting and replaced the starter and everything was good, except for it was loosing power at high revs so decided to replace the gas pump, I guess I will install back the old pump just to test it if it does not do the same thing that is doing right now.. then I could call for a gas pump warranty (it was used from ebay but supossedly in excellent condition) how can I test the pressure with the pump running? and the fuel line is not pinched, also I got a brand new hose for it too.

You need to hook a pressure gauge to the fuel rail to measure it or do a flow test on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, a new gas pump did not fix the issue... any other idea folks what can be causing that?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Ok, a new gas pump did not fix the issue... any other idea folks what can be causing that?
Hmmm, well that's interesting. Doing the exact same thing with the new pump as the old one? Or did the symptoms change at all? And it otherwise runs normally when started cold? As in, the idle up circuit kicks in to idle at about 2,000rpm and it doesn't misfire or anything during that time?

How is the fuel tank vent line routed? It's not crushed, kinked, or plugged when you set the tank back down, right? You could check this quickly by leaving the cap open while it's running.

If fueling is ruled out, I would be going back in and checking everything again. Check the chassis ground lug is tight along with the battery terminals as suggested. Also check the connections in and around the TBs. No air leaks, position sensors and air sensors are all connected and not leaking.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Check error codes on dash, I think procedure was scrolling to odometer and holding upper button.
Do you have normal engine power above idle revs?
If yes, then troubleshoot idle actuator and sensors in throttle body (see service manual).
Or maybe buying and replacing TB with all 4 sensors, 2 actuators and injectors attached form eBay is good idea.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Actually just re read what you said. If its getting some tempurature on the guage then its probably nothing to do with the battery. Please ignore my comment.
Now the other thing im thinking is these bikes have a cold start up cycle which on my old gen1 used to close the top butterflys in the throttle bodies.
As it gets warmer that used to switch off. So that could be an issue.
That is tempurature related so check you temp sensors are plugged in correctly.
Or if the petrol tank breather pipes are nipped which mine were it can create alot of vaccum and that can stall the bike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am attaching three pictures,
- fuel hose to gas pump
- fuel hose (not bended)
- the bottom of the tank, I realized that it has two small hose connectors in the bottom of the tank, is that for the fuel tank drain hose and the air cleaner drain hose? Maybe my bike is missing these two hoses????? can that cause the problem I am describing?

thanks in advance guys, really

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
There is 2 pipes missing there. I believe 1 is overflow pipe and one is air breather pipe. They are poorly routed as standard and its very easy to kink them. Mine was kinked when i got it and the tank would hold air pressure.
If one of them is an overflow then your overflow is leaking straight into the engine area. I would fix this asap.
But your breather pipe definately isnt blocked as its not even there lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha, yes I will buy these hoses.. do you think that is causing the issue that I am describing in the beginning?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If the vent tube is plugged you could be getting a vacuum condition in the tank. I wouldn't think it would be strong enough in that short amount of running to stop fuel flow though. You could double check it by starting it with the gas cap open.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts