Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few years I've ran dunlop q3s. I love the way they feel and I love the grip. But I've started to get into longer rides and it just flattens the hell out of the dunlops.. so is there a tire out there that feels like the q3 but lasts longer. Obviously I'm willing to lose some grip because you can't have both. I don't want the pilot road 4s because they are great in rain but no where else from what I've read.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't heard much about the q3+. If it's gonna last noticeably longer than the q3 then I'll have to try it

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bridgestone S21 Evo. The hard centers last a long time and the shoulders are grippy. Bonus is they're also cheap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can recommend the S21 also. Handles great. Grippy as hell. I`ve got 5000 miles on mine and still ok thread left at the rear. 1900 of those miles were high speed commuting through Europe. I think you`ll find some reviews here if you search.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I always run sc2 or sometimes sc1 track tyres but the life span is shocking. My dad on the other hand runs sc3 and the life span is brilliant.
Hes on 2500 miles on the rear so far and thats done 3 full trackdays aswel. Its still got life left.
All i can say is it depends on how hard you ride and if you ride in the wet alot coz they dont shift water at all.
I got caught out in the wet the otherday on sc2 and they had good grip still but if you ride in puddles of water youll need a proper all weather tyre

·
Registered
619 Posts
I also recommend the S21

I use them as a track day tires on the 10 and street tires on my zx14

Just bought 2 more sets at Rocky Mountain ATV
they where like $238 on sale with a rebate Visa gift card
for $50 a set bringing the total down to $188 a set with free shipping.

Rebate good until 08/31

And if you have RM Cash even cheaper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill check them all out. I'm gonna try to be unbiased. I've never actually looked at metzler tires before. Maybe they'll be what I want

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just be wary of pushing the Mezlers, especially the street sports version, I hear they grip until they don't and then it's ouch. For wet, dry grip and longevity, the Bridgestone S21 you can't go past. Given I got a nail through the center of my last rear S21, I decided to give the RS10 a go.'

Yet to track it but nice so far on the road.

Not sure when I get a new set if I will try a complete RS10 set from Bridgestone or go the Power RS from Michelin. Thinking more track time for my ride.

·
Registered
569 Posts
S21 is a great tire for the street and it can be ridden on the track at a moderate pace. Not as sticky as q3+ or RS10. I liken the RS10 to the Dunlop Q3 and the S21 to the Dunlop Sportmax. Also the Pirelli Rosso Corsa series seems pretty good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
does anyone here have experience with the pirrelli roso 3's? I have a couple buddies here in San Diego with Gen 5's that swear by them and im gonna be buying a set of tires in the next couple days

·
Registered
119 Posts
S21 is a great tire for the street and it can be ridden on the track at a moderate pace. Not as sticky as q3+ or RS10. I liken the RS10 to the Dunlop Q3 and the S21 to the Dunlop Sportmax. Also the Pirelli Rosso Corsa series seems pretty good.
Have you ridden the S21s? The reason I ask is because I was running advanced group times without drama on them. The only difference I really noticed was the rear trying to step out after 20-25 minutes of laps at an open track day (most track sessions are 20 minutes or less). Only thing that sucked was not being able to flog it when the session started but it never got to a point where my pace was noticeably different than the guys around me running slicks and warmers.

OP - I would not hesitate to recommend the S21 to you. But the most important thing about any tire you choose is your own confidence in it. There is a lot of brand loyalty in these kind of threads much like asking a person about oil. Buy whatever tire best suits your needs, preferably from a local brand rep and ask them what tire pressures to run and be done with it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not a track day guy (sadly, wish I was!) but I just ordered my 3rd set of S21 for the ZX-10R.

The ones I ride on are done after 7,500 miles. I could probably get an additional 1000 miles on them if I'd want to get through the whole rubber, but as someone who rides in the streets, in the rain and often in the cold, I can't really risk the lack of grip for a few more miles.

·
Registered
569 Posts
@Schooley; What tires are you comparing "the difference" to? Never ridden a s21 on the track. I have used rs10 and SP's on the road courses, but haven't used street legal tires in several seasons (no racing). S21 did come, as OEM on my R6.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you have been riding the Q3 and like it then try the Q3 Plus. I have zero experience with the Q3 plus, but do have experience with the S21 at a track day and q3 at track days.

The turn in/tip in feel and quickness is very different on the S21. You will notice this. I have no complaints about grip on the s21. I haven't had them long enough to comment on longevity.

I have RS10s on my new Suzuki and think the feel on those is very similar to the Q3. I don't know about grip and have zero experience on longevity with the RS10.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@Schooley; What tires are you comparing "the difference" to? Never ridden a s21 on the track. I have used rs10 and SP's on the road courses, but haven't used street legal tires in several seasons (no racing). S21 did come, as OEM on my R6.
I am talking about the difference between the S21 and a typical DOT/Slick I have run on the track (GPA, R10, SC, etc.).

An S21 supplied as OEM stock rubber is completely different than what you get off the rack from a tire supplier. I guess I was just trying to understand how you could ever compare an S21 to a SportMax ( I am assuming you meant the RoadSmart :dontknow: )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts