Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am going to be testing out some Jeep Wranglers Sports models, both private sales and at the dealership. Does anyone on here have experience with them? I am currently leaning towards a 2010, 6 speed manual diesel, 4 door, Wrangler Sport Unlimited.

Do y'all have any advice on questions I should ask and things I should look at. If I buy one it will be my first car since I was 17 (currently 25). I am kind of rusty on things to look for.

Cheers.

Dean.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Daily drive and the occasional weekend trek out bush.
Depending on how rugged the terran you may want heavier axles, lower gears, and lockers. None of which are cheap to install after the fact so decide what you want then look for it. I'm dropping a grand in mine this weekend rebuilding the axels with used gears and a front locker. I'm leaving the rear open until I replace the rear axel with something stronger. Mine is a 94 YJ so a very different breed. I'd just get onto as many Jeep Forums as possible and learn first, then buy.

·
The Pace
6,904 Posts
If running dust and dirt, gotta change the oil. I'd even change the air filter.

No one in rural areas run any jeeps, unless the mega old ones, and they flip over too fast. Poorly made, and some can't run slab at normal speeds due to vibs. Poor hicks run 4x4 Toyotas and try to avoid pulling heavy snow (4 cly. engines will burn out). Everyone else runs regular cab 4x4 fords, Chev, or Dodge, if no family, then opt for extended with a bunch of kids. Regular cab short wheel base trucks turn like a dream. Anything bigger gotta do like a 20,000 point turn, and that gets scary on a mountain side.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figure it might be easier if I also chuck up the website it is being sold through.

http://tinyurl.com/9fn7h59

Nice blue color.

So if I Want to do heavy 4x4 driving I should change the gearing / axles and add lockers. For normal 4x4 it should be alright as long as I change the oil (diff oil?) and regularly clean out the air filter. Is that about right?

I am not going to be climbing up the side of mountains, we don't have any up here. We get flooded creek crossings, sand, and lots of mud. The jeep should be able to go through that no worries yeah? I have also read that the jeep isn't that great at highway speeds however this doesn't really bother me as I usually don't go over 55 while driving a car. That is all I have read so far. I will have to do a bit more research yet...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
idc what anyone says i dig the jks i like the 4 door. if you arent wheeling hardcore that is the best decision you can make for practicality. seems a little steep but i guess idk the conversion. my womans mom bought one as a shop vehicle. it was a 2010 electric blue one with 33k on it for $24,500 but then again its a 3.8 auto (gross). i really like that jeep you posted though.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I figure it might be easier if I also chuck up the website it is being sold through.

http://tinyurl.com/9fn7h59

Nice blue color.

So if I Want to do heavy 4x4 driving I should change the gearing / axles and add lockers. For normal 4x4 it should be alright as long as I change the oil (diff oil?) and regularly clean out the air filter. Is that about right?

I am not going to be climbing up the side of mountains, we don't have any up here. We get flooded creek crossings, sand, and lots of mud. The jeep should be able to go through that no worries yeah? I have also read that the jeep isn't that great at highway speeds however this doesn't really bother me as I usually don't go over 55 while driving a car. That is all I have read so far. I will have to do a bit more research yet...
Budget boost (spring spacers lift) and 33" tires and perform normal .maintenance. Decrease intervals depending on use. Enjoy

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
No one in rural areas run any jeeps, unless the mega old ones, and they flip over too fast. Poorly made, and some can't run slab at normal speeds due to vibs.
Sounds like you've been around some POS's. My jeep (94 YJ) was pulling 70mph smoothly on 35" tires and stupid high 3.07 gears. I'm putting in 4.10s. She should get now. No vibes, shakes, and take turns just fine. ...for 6 inches of lift and 35" tires. :mrgreen: The 4.0L is damn near bullet proof. Sorry your info is so wrong. :wink:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Can't speak on new jeeps, but my 85 CJ7 with 33's, 4.2liter, and 4.56 gears rides fine at 65mph and has pulled a couple of full size trucks out the mud

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I want a rubicon so bad, theyre so sexy to me, but ill never give up my 97 k1500, Its always been my dream truck (easily satisfied lol) hopefully after I sell the gsxr I picked up Ill be able to convert the 5.7 to a 383 and then eventually do a solid axle swap.

Mykil, How does the 4.10s handle the 35s spinning over wise. My 4.88s will peel out my 40s, but my U-joints DO NOT like it lol, Ive changed them a few times bec of it

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Mykil, How does the 4.10s handle the 35s spinning over wise. My 4.88s will peel out my 40s, but my U-joints DO NOT like it lol, Ive changed them a few times bec of it
I'm doing a gear swap now. The 4.0L has to be stood on to get going with the 3.07s it has now. I was going to put 4.56s in there but found a great deal on already built axels with front locker and 4.10's. Leaving the rear open as the D35 is a known weak link. I'll swap in a locked Ford 8.8 down the road or when the D35 breaks a shaft.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I gave the diesel a miss (they wanted 36k for it) and bought myself a 2012 petrol in Dozer yellow...

Couldn't be happier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts