Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, thanks for clicking on the post. Anyways wanted to reach out to my fellow zx10r experts and get their opinion on a couple questions. So I finally got out to a 1/4 mile track 3 weeks ago (first time ever :headshake). I did alright but my buddy was pulling 10.7s at 137 all day on his 08 zx10r(bazzaz ECU, full, SWB, and no strap). Went out today and he was running 137-140 and running 10.7s and one 10.65 but his best 60 foot was 1.984 but mostly running 2.0ish. Me on the other hand ran low 11's all day except one run 10.99!! My MPH is around 130-133 but my 60 foot is 1.905-1.99. I am on a 05 10R SWB,no strap, PCIII, BMC air filter, slip on, -1+2. Two questions that I have to know
1. It seems my MPH is a little slow...is that an accurate statement:dontknow:?
2. 60 foot times, what is a good 60 foot time for a 05 zx10r on a SWB and no strap?

Thanks again for looking and really appreciate the help

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
The MPH would be low for my neck of the woods. However, we are at different tracks with different air so its not a fair comparison. Compare your times to others with stock motor no spray bikes at your track, especially the experienced guys. Run against them... my best runs are always against bikes that smoke me! That's fine by me, I rather lose with a great time than win with a mediocre time.

The key is practice practice practice.

ps - Whats your weight, that plays a purrty big role in this whole thing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man thanks for the help. I am 200 pounds and my buddy is 160. It was a good day for racing mid 60's not a cloud in the sky and the sun was out (the temp jumped about 25 degrees from 10 am to 3 pm). There was a 5 mph wind pushing us. I thought it was a little slow considering my gearing. It really aggravates me because my buddy is 7 mph faster with stock gearing.

Anyways what about the other question. What is a good 60 on a swb, no strap, or lowered. It seems like everyone at my track has all the goodies so I cant really compare to them. Just curious because I would like to have some sort of bench mark.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Anyways what about the other question. What is a good 60 on a swb, no strap, or lowered. It seems like everyone at my track has all the goodies so I cant really compare to them. Just curious because I would like to have some sort of bench mark.
I really can't answer that since pretty much everybody I know runs it at least lowered. Sorry bud.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
mph does seem low but its probly due to your elevation and air but a good time swb with no strap is a 10.5 or better in the 1/4. i highly suggest you gettin a strap they help out a ton and cost only a few bucks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise. The track is in bryon IL and I dont think its much higher than sealevel and my buddy is doing 140! IDK, I guess get the bike on a dyno and see the numbers. I am kinda old school, I really dont want to strap it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
dont bother putting your bike on a dyno it wont give you any answers. mine only did 155 on a dyno but goes 5.80's in the 1/8th with my big ass on it.

seat time is better than anything

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thank you everyone for the info.

Side note, anyone use a data logger? I was looking into the dynojet LCD but seems like you need to purchase a bunch of other add ons for it to work correctly.

·
Registered
795 Posts
for speed, make sure you are tucked as far as u can. when i run i am almost looking at the ground just to stay behind it and picked up 1-2 mph, also do you use your clutch when u shift or just click it? that plays a big part. on my 09, swb, no strap, just a jardine slip on, and pc3 with no map and down 1 tooth up front i did a 10.1 at 140 with a 1.89 60ft. i weigh 200 suited at least. i have a strap for sale if you looking for one, 20 shipped, its what i paid before i wrecked my bike from another member on the board. let me know if your interisted, i would say 1.8s is a good 60 for swb and no strap, esp if your geared.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for speed, make sure you are tucked as far as u can. when i run i am almost looking at the ground just to stay behind it and picked up 1-2 mph, also do you use your clutch when u shift or just click it? that plays a big part. on my 09, swb, no strap, just a jardine slip on, and pc3 with no map and down 1 tooth up front i did a 10.1 at 140 with a 1.89 60ft. i weigh 200 suited at least. i have a strap for sale if you looking for one, 20 shipped, its what i paid before i wrecked my bike from another member on the board. let me know if your interisted, i would say 1.8s is a good 60 for swb and no strap, esp if your geared.

That was what I was looking for thanks for the info. I will pass on the strap but another buddy,who is a member, might want it. I will let him know.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I don't get what old school has to do with not strapping it, most the "old school" guys I know will use all the little tips and trick they can.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, I am not too worried about wheelies. I cover the rear brake. it is more of a challenge my buddy doesn't think I can get 1.8s in the 60 foot.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Haha, I am not too worried about wheelies. I cover the rear brake. it is more of a challenge my buddy doesn't think I can get 1.8s in the 60 foot.
Did your buddy say with strap or no strap? :dontknow: You do realize you can put on and take off a strap within minutes? :dontknow: No one is saying to keep it there permanently but at least prep the bike up for some basic mods you should do when drag racing......you can take the strap off though when you go to your track day. :lol:

bloo

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
+1 would you take a stretch and lowered bike to a track day, No. Because its not set up for it. Should to take a stock height no strap bike to the dragstrip, I would say no for the same reason.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did your buddy say with strap or no strap? :dontknow: You do realize you can put on and take off a strap within minutes? :dontknow: No one is saying to keep it there permanently but at least prep the bike up for some basic mods you should do when drag racing......you can take the strap off though when you go to your track day. :lol:

bloo

my buddy thinks it is impossible to get into the1.8s without a strap and I think you can. This was my second time at a track ever and I did 1.9005 and my first day I did 1.950.

I know you can take the strap off and it is the easiest way to cut seconds off your time but hey it is a challenge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts