Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, guys.

So here's the situation...

It has been about a month since I last rode my bike. I went to start the bike up and everything started up perfectly fine. It sat in idle for about 5 minutes and nothing was wrong. After I got on the bike, put it into gear, and started to accelerate, the bike started hopping really bad, then shut off...

After it shut off, the FI light came on. The ABS light along with the S-KTRC and power modes all came on and started flashing as well (Mind you, my bike is the non-ABS model). At this point, I tried to restart the bike and it would try to kick over, but it just wouldn't start. Usually when you turn the bike off and turn it back on before you start it, you can hear the fuel pump engage. However, with this issue, the fuel pump doesn't even engage when I turn the key to the on position before starting it. But, the ABS light, S-KTRC and power modes are still flashing.

Next I decide to pull the codes. The codes came up as:

11: Main Throttle Sensor

12: Intake Air Pressure Sensor #1

16: Intake Air Pressure Sensor #2

31: Vehicle-Down Sensor

32: Subthrottle Sensor

Also, the Yellow Light Flashing indicates that the S-KTRC is faulting.

At this point I am confused... The reason being is because of the code for the Vehicle-Down Sensor. The bike was never laid down. So this lead me to believe the issue had to be with my ECU or my PCV.

We tested all the sensors, and nothing seemed to resolved the issue.

At this point, we unplugged the battery, unplugged the PCV and re-plugged it in, updated all of the firmware on the PCV, etc. Nothing seemed to work.

However, after we unplugged the PCV from the TPS sensor and hooked it back up to stock, the bike started up perfectly fine and had no issue.

This led me to believe it is the PCV that is the issue...

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Could it really be my PCV? Could it be my ECU? Or, could I possible need a new TPS sensor?

I am just confused on what kind of issue could cause all of these codes go off simultaneously.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. If this is the issue, I might be in the market for a PCV if anyone has one laying around.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
There was an issue out there with some PCVs. There was a thread someone started maybe a year ago where I was a contributor in, where they had a similar issues. It was titled something like pcv lights flashing or something... let me look for you.

Here you go:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/gen-4-warning-lights-;-fi-traction-control-218505.html

Read that thread. My guess your issue is similar.

If you do decide to get a PCV, why not save some money and buy a Woolich Racing box from me instead ;)
(sorry, had to do a little plug there)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was an issue out there with some PCVs. There was a thread someone started maybe a year ago where I was a contributor in, where they had a similar issues. It was titled something like pcv lights flashing or something... let me look for you.

Here you go:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/gen-4-warning-lights-;-fi-traction-control-218505.html

Read that thread. My guess your issue is similar.

If you do decide to get a PCV, why not save some money and buy a Woolich Racing box from me instead ;)
(sorry, had to do a little plug there)
Lol Appreciate the pitch. But, I already have my Dynojet QS setup, etc.

I read the thread. Good info. Only thing is that my bike is actually shutting off when slowly taking off in 1st gear and then won't start at all. With their issue, the bike is actually running like normal. Thinking it might have something to do with a sensor that will cause the bike not to run when it is faulting? I don't know. :(

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Hahaha, I know it was shameless but couldn't help ;) Also speaking from experience since I used to run every thing from Dynojet for the 4th gen before I made the jump to the Woolich setup 3 years ago. But that's not the issue here haha.

I thought maybe the thread would possibly give you an idea on some troubleshooting methodology of your own. I guess at this point I would run without the PCV for a while just to make sure the issue doesn't pop up again and it isn't an intermittent issue with the bike itself. If it runs for a week or so and no issue, then it's probably related to the PCV and should be brought up with the DJ support team.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha, I know it was shameless but couldn't help ;) Also speaking from experience since I used to run every thing from Dynojet for the 4th gen before I made the jump to the Woolich setup 3 years ago. But that's not the issue here haha.

I thought maybe the thread would possibly give you an idea on some troubleshooting methodology of your own. I guess at this point I would run without the PCV for a while just to make sure the issue doesn't pop up again and it isn't an intermittent issue with the bike itself. If it runs for a week or so and no issue, then it's probably related to the PCV and should be brought up with the DJ support team.
Hey, ya never know. Maybe there is something in there that could be the issue. I really appreciate your input. My buddy has a spare PCV that I am going to try and we'll see if that is the issue. I already contacted DJ and they weren't a big help at all. lol They said to send them my PCV, pay $25, and they will tell me if something is wrong with it. If there is something wrong, they can't fix it so therefore they will send it back to me and sell me a new PCV for $220. lol I explained how I am a long time customer of theirs and if they can do anything with warranty work and they said no.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Hey, ya never know. Maybe there is something in there that could be the issue. I really appreciate your input. My buddy has a spare PCV that I am going to try and we'll see if that is the issue. I already contacted DJ and they weren't a big help at all. lol They said to send them my PCV, pay $25, and they will tell me if something is wrong with it. If there is something wrong, they can't fix it so therefore they will send it back to me and sell me a new PCV for $220. lol I explained how I am a long time customer of theirs and if they can do anything with warranty work and they said no.
There is nothing wrong with that they are spending time to check it out for you and sell you at almost cost of a New one saving you a $100 or more just for having a PCV....that's a Great Company in my book......I have been through this as well with them with a PCIII turned out to be bad but got the same deal on a PCV for a 10yr old bike can't beat that anywhere at that price.......bottom line you need to find out first if it is the PCV I sent mine in for just a Firmware upgrade same $25 price but it had other issues so got the PCV. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is nothing wrong with that they are spending time to check it out for you and sell you at almost cost of a New one saving you a $100 or more just for having a PCV....that's a Great Company in my book......I have been through this as well with them with a PCIII turned out to be bad but got the same deal on a PCV for a 10yr old bike can't beat that anywhere at that price.......bottom line you need to find out first if it is the PCV I sent mine in for just a Firmware upgrade same $25 price but it had other issues so got the PCV. :wink:

bloo
I guess what I was referring to when I said they weren't that big of a help is that the guy sounded like he just woke up from a nap when I was on the phone with him and was very short with his answers. I had to ask question after question to get the answer I needed insted of him proactively trying to give me info.

Oh, well. I guess you're right. We tested my bike with another PCV last night and the bike ran fine with no issues. Going to send my PCV out to see if there is an issue. If not, back to the drawing board. If so, at least I'll have peace of mind. lol

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I guess what I was referring to when I said they weren't that big of a help is that the guy sounded like he just woke up from a nap when I was on the phone with him and was very short with his answers. I had to ask question after question to get the answer I needed insted of him proactively trying to give me info.

Oh, well. I guess you're right. We tested my bike with another PCV last night and the bike ran fine with no issues. Going to send my PCV out to see if there is an issue. If not, back to the drawing board. If so, at least I'll have peace of mind. lol
Why would it be "Back to the drawing board" if you said you already replaced the PCV with a Known good one and the problem seemed to go away?

See this is where your going to respect DJ for testing yours for only $25 I am sure they have a TEST RIG to test it fast and easy something you can't do easy at home....that's what seperates them from the rest not only will they test yours they will give you a personal call back on what they find....when they do find something wrong then you will have even more "Peace of Mind" you found the problem. :wink:

PS....if they say yours is good take care on connections when you get yours back. :idea:

bloo

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would it be "Back to the drawing board" if you said you already replaced the PCV with a Known good one and the problem seemed to go away?

See this is where your going to respect DJ for testing yours for only $25 I am sure they have a TEST RIG to test it fast and easy something you can't do easy at home....that's what seperates them from the rest not only will they test yours they will give you a personal call back on what they find....when they do find something wrong then you will have even more "Peace of Mind" you found the problem. :wink:

PS....if they say yours is good take care on connections when you get yours back. :idea:

bloo
Well I've only turned the bike on with the new PCV and rode it less than 10 miles and there was no issue. However, with my old PCV, there are occasions when I would turn the bike on and there is no issue as well. I'd ride it for a few miles, then when the bike slowed down to stop, or started to accelerate from a stop, that is when the issue would kick in. I guess I'll have to ride the bike with the new PCV on it a little longer to see if the problem is still there, or goes away. Either way, I plan to send my old PCV out to Dynojet and spend the $25.

If it comes back that there is nothing wrong, I don't see how it could be the connectors because the PCV has been on the bike since I bought it back in 2013 and has been fine ever since. I don't ride it that often and wouldn't think that something could become incorrectly connected just by sitting in my garage. Unless there is more to it than that. lol

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well I've only turned the bike on with the new PCV and rode it less than 10 miles and there was no issue. However, with my old PCV, there are occasions when I would turn the bike on and there is no issue as well. I'd ride it for a few miles, then when the bike slowed down to stop, or started to accelerate from a stop, that is when the issue would kick in. I guess I'll have to ride the bike with the new PCV on it a little longer to see if the problem is still there, or goes away. Either way, I plan to send my old PCV out to Dynojet and spend the $25.

If it comes back that there is nothing wrong, I don't see how it could be the connectors because the PCV has been on the bike since I bought it back in 2013 and has been fine ever since. I don't ride it that often and wouldn't think that something could become incorrectly connected just by sitting in my garage. Unless there is more to it than that. lol
Oh I thought you were confident about the swap so yeah if you can test more with the other PCV that will help along with sending your PCV in for testing.

As with connections never think just because the plugs mate all is good it's still "Matting" electronic Connection and even solder connections become corroded so even if it test good for example with DJ their Matting Connections are fine the TPS lets say from your wiring harness may have a problem or something else. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I thought you were confident about the swap so yeah if you can test more with the other PCV that will help along with sending your PCV in for testing.

As with connections never think just because the plugs mate all is good it's still "Matting" electronic Connection and even solder connections become corroded so even if it test good for example with DJ their Matting Connections are fine the TPS lets say from your wiring harness may have a problem or something else. :wink:

bloo
Makes sense. I really appreciate the input and help though. I will definitely report back to this thread once I send the PCV out to DynoJet and get it back with results.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Makes sense. I really appreciate the input and help though. I will definitely report back to this thread once I send the PCV out to DynoJet and get it back with results.
Any Update?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey, while you're waiting for the test results, spend some time and make sure all of your grounds are clean and tight. Make sure your battery is in top-flight condition as well. Fuse box clean, no corrosion or loose fuses? If you park that thing in the weather, even under a cover or in a car port, you gotta make sure anything that can corrode is taken care of.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, while you're waiting for the test results, spend some time and make sure all of your grounds are clean and tight. Make sure your battery is in top-flight condition as well. Fuse box clean, no corrosion or loose fuses? If you park that thing in the weather, even under a cover or in a car port, you gotta make sure anything that can corrode is taken care of.
Thanks! I have it parked in a garage everyday. There is currently another Power Commander on the bike right now and the bike runs fine. I will wait to hear back from Dynojet on what they say.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Any Update?
Just got off the phone with Dynojet. They have received my Power Commander. It is now in line to be tested by the beginning of next week, at the latest.
Must be the time of year or they have someone on Vacation because when I sent a PCIII in awhile back not only did they look at it day 1 when they received it DJ Tech gave me a phone call to discuss findings. :dontknow:

bloo

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Must be the time of year or they have someone on Vacation because when I sent a PCIII in awhile back not only did they look at it day 1 when they received it DJ Tech gave me a phone call to discuss findings. :dontknow:

bloo
UPDATE:

Just spoke to a guy named Kenny from DynoJet yesterday. He was actually A LOT more helpful than the other guy I spoke with before I sent it off. When I asked him about the status of my PC5, he was like "No one has called you yet?" (which no one has). He then told me that my PC5 has been done for a few days now and that someone should have called me asking to replace it at the warranty discounted price of $220. What he said they found was that the memory is lost or memory can't be retained or something like that. So, I asked him what that meant. He said he wasn't sure and that they couldn't put old firmware on the bike. I then told him that before I sent the PC5 off, I updated it with the latest firmware and it loaded up just fine on to the PC5.

At this point I became skeptical that they were just looking for a reason to sell me another PC5 and that there really wasn't anything truly wrong with mine other than maybe a loose or bad connection on my end. I currently have another PC5 on my bike and it is running just fine. I then told him how I don't understand how that would cause my bike to fault out if I haven't even touched the PC5 in months. I then asked to speak to a tech to explain it a little better to me. He said "hold on, let me go grab the unit real quick". So, he went to grab my PC5 and after he came back on the phone after almost 5 minutes, he told me that something looked weird in the diagnosis. He said he was going to have someone look at it again because he believes we can bring my PC5 back to life.

The conclusion is that he is going to call me back next Monday or Tuesday to fill me in on what is really going on and if they can somehow fix the PC5.

So...that's where I am at. :/

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE 8/22/15:

So, I just went to take my bike out for a ride with a different Power Commander on and the bike started doing the SAME THING and throwing the same codes! Now, I'm starting to think that the Power Commander isn't the issue.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to try and single out the issue? I also have a Dynojet Quick Shifter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you get your original Power Commander back from DynoJet? Is that the one that's on the bike right now?
No. I should have that back by Monday. It is another PCV that is on the bike now and it started doing the same thing. I have a Dynojet Quick Shifter hooked up to the PCV as well. We disconnected the quickshifter and the bike is running fine right now, but I have only rode it less than 20 miles since disconnection the Quickshifter. However, the Quickshifter Expansion Module or Quickshifter itself shouldn't have anything to do with why my bike is doing what it is doing, right?

Another thing to point out is that when it shuts off and starts to go crazy with all those flashing lights (see original post for details), I would turn the bike off. However, when I try to turn the bike back on (key in "on" position but not started), all the lights and everything come on again the fuel pump does not engage with the red switch on as well. The bike will try to kick over but it just won't start, almost like it is out of gas (even though there is plenty of gas in there).

Could it be an issue with my fuel pump? injectors?

I'm lost what it could be. :( I'm going to ride it around some more with the QS disconnected to see if it does anything or throw any error codes again.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts