Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: 05 ZX6RR
Issue: Factory Pro shift star kit install

I installed the above part and cannot get the bike to shift out of neutral when shifting up. So the star is only moving to 1st and Neutral. I have not put any oil in the bike as I was making sure everything was working ok before I closed it all up. Any ideas as to why it wont shift into the higher gears?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
are you running the bike ?? cause it will not go into any other gear other than 1st when not running put oil in it and start it up and run it on the stand ?? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you running the bike ?? cause it will not go into any other gear other than 1st when not running put oil in it and start it up and run it on the stand ?? :dontknow:
I have no oil in it now and the case cover is not on... Im pretty sure I installed everything right just was concerned that it was not shifting.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the bike in first hear and it wouldnt roll, then I pulled in the clutch and it wouldnt dis-engage and allow the wheel to roll.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the bike in first hear and it wouldnt roll, then I pulled in the clutch and it wouldnt dis-engage and allow the wheel to roll.
with all the experiance here??? anyone have any ideas?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Kawi has a positive neutral lock out in their transmissions... basically you cant shift from N to 2nd only to 1st..... if you have the bike on a rear stand spin the rear tire and shift down into 1st and then keep spinning the tire fast and you should be able to go into 2nd.... if you cant then maybe something is wrong but on kawi's you cannot shift from N to 2nd

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do the clutch plates have to go back in, in a specific way or side. I know they have to go fiber/ disk/ fiber/ disk etc... but there is a notch on 3 of the corners of the fibers, does that have to be in a specific location for each fiber?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when I put the bike in gear with the engine running it was really jittery and when I rolled on the throtle the bike wasnt accellerating like it should. just reving up. Then when I pulled in the clutch lever nothing happened. Something is not fitting right, but I thought I had it all assembled correctly. I am taking apart now back to square one. any thoughts on re-assembly.

Could these symptoms be cause by installing the torque limiter springs being installed wrong?

The big thing I am worried about is the shift forks being bent. To get the clutch hub nut off I put the bike in gear, but a block in between the rear wheel and swing arm, and attempted to break the nut free. All that happened was the suspension started compressing I then stopped. Not sure if I messed anything up in the process. I ended up useing an impact with the bike in Neutral

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
the plates dont have th line up or anything.... what could be happening is the pressure plate is not in the right spot.... When you put everything together if you touch the fibers in the pack with everything installed... they should not be able to move so if theres any gap that could do it, everything should be tight.....

if anything take pics!!!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the plates dont have th line up or anything.... what could be happening is the pressure plate is not in the right spot.... When you put everything together if you touch the fibers in the pack with everything installed... they should not be able to move so if theres any gap that could do it, everything should be tight.....

if anything take pics!!!!
ok so everything is good and tight in there forsure... but another question is, do they have a correct side they need to be installed in? like a front and a back to the clutch fibers? I have heard something about a sharp side? both sides look the same to me.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
on the metal plates if you run your finger across the edge you can feel a sharp side and a softer side. usually just stack them all in the same way/order..... as for the fibers I usually just put them in with the numbers on the edges facing outwards... maybe just double check the position of the clutch pressure plate

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on the metal plates if you run your finger across the edge you can feel a sharp side and a softer side. usually just stack them all in the same way/order..... as for the fibers I usually just put them in with the numbers on the edges facing outwards... maybe just double check the position of the clutch pressure plate
Yes, I can visually see that there is a softer side and have lined them all up so the soft side is facing inboard. The pressure plate will only fit one way so that is right.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, I can visually see that there is a softer side and have lined them all up so the soft side is facing inboard. The pressure plate will only fit one way so that is right.
Did you check this how to in Kawi forum?

http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/87288-factory-pro-shift-kit-05-06-zx6r.html

Although it's not for ZX-6RR but the process should be the same.

If all fails, then get in touch with Marc or Raul @ Factory Pro.

http://www.factorypro.com/

G/L!:ayyy:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes that is the process that I used. I am taking it all apart to do it all again. The clutch just seams to be causing alot of friction. I cant even disengage the clutch pulling in the lever?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts