Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew a fork seal a fortnight ago and had a small local shop replace both seals & oil....and the headstock bearings at the same time since it was convenient cos I've done 60,000 miles (C1 model, 04) on her. Since then I've noticed she's really choppy at speed, I mean really really choppy. A smooth road will have the bike getting beaten around all over the place, hit an actual bump and you're airborne.

WTF have they done to my bike and how do I fix it?

Bear in mind I just ride em, I have no idea how they work and me going back to the shop with a "She just doesn't feel right" conversation will result in me feeling like a pillock and nothing being done about it...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I blew a fork seal a fortnight ago and had a small local shop replace both seals & oil....and the headstock bearings at the same time since it was convenient cos I've done 60,000 miles (C1 model, 04) on her. Since then I've noticed she's really choppy at speed, I mean really really choppy. A smooth road will have the bike getting beaten around all over the place, hit an actual bump and you're airborne.

WTF have they done to my bike and how do I fix it?

Bear in mind I just ride em, I have no idea how they work and me going back to the shop with a "She just doesn't feel right" conversation will result in me feeling like a pillock and nothing being done about it...
What they have done is overfilled the oil, most likely. And/or used an incorrect specification of oil. More likely an overfill. That really slams the compression damping all to blazes.

May have overtightened the headstock bearings as well, put it up on stands and do the steering check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right, simple. I'll see what I can do about that.

As for oil, I need some more info before I have the conversation with the mechanic or I'll get palmed off. Anyone know how much oil is supposed to go into the front forks on an '04 ZX-10R....and what weight should have gone in?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The book says;
10 weight oil, 576ml dry/empty, 490ml if just changing it.
Oil level should be, (by book the anyway), -91mm, (+/-2mm), from top of tube, fork compressed and spring removed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is why I don't trust anyone but me to work on my bikes. I'm a car tech but if I'm feeling lazy or short of time I'll palm that off on someone else but not my bikes.. Ever. Call me paranoid maybe, but I don't care.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts