Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we rescued this 16 month old German Shorthair but now he is digging my yard up, I just spend $3500 on landscaping and he is digging it all up. Short of slapping him...anyone have any ideas to help? I have another dog and she doesn't dig but I need to break him of this bad habit before I go postal.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Sounds like he needs to burn off energy. Talk him for long walks and give him plenty of exercise.
Yep, he is a working type dog and needs stuff to do and to be exercised a lot.

Long skateboard and a long rope, or a bicycle or blades. Just watch the heat.

Other than that, when you catch him, telll him no and give him a toy to play with or something that he can do so you can praise him.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Got a picture? One of my rescues is probably mostly German Shorthair Pointer, as close as we can tell.

Actually, he's been digging a little but he digs a spot under the bushes for shade. Even though he can be inside whenever he wants.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Take pepper, and smush it up and spread it in the holes he frequently digs in or near. When he goes to dig again, it will get in his nose and he will learn. No this is not animal cruelty, and yes this is a technique. Burning off energy is not going to do anything about digging holes.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Take pepper, and smush it up and spread it in the holes he frequently digs in or near. When he goes to dig again, it will get in his nose and he will learn. No this is not animal cruelty, and yes this is a technique. Burning off energy is not going to do anything about digging holes.
:+1:I used cayenne pepper it worked great

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Exercise and a routine go a long way to making a good dog in general.

I've heard of the pepper thing but never tried it. Sounds okay.

So basically exercise with a side of pepper in the dig spots I guess.

·
Registered
555 Posts
dogs like to dig holes and lay in them, find a spot where you wouldn't mind having a hole, show the dog his doggy only hole , you must visualize the dog enjoying his digging in his spot.. next make the dog sit next to you while you fill the hole he dug in the wrong spot , bitch at him for digging the hole in the wrong spot and making a mess of the nice landscaped lawn, make him feel bad for digging a hole, you know "i feed ,i keep you in a nice house ,you have a nice yard, and this is what i get , blah,blah,blah". try not to laugh , dogs know. then when your done filling holes, show that dog some love...this works, you might have to repeat a couple times.. dog aways try to please, just show them what to do or not to do...enjoy your time together....

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
this works great, also put his own shit in the hole, if he has half a brain he will avoid it

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We think it is separation anxiety, if someone is out there with him then he is fine but if you leave him for more then 5 minutes with just another dog...that's when he digs. He was hand picked by a guy and then after about 8-10 months he was dumped at a shelter, then the shelter put him into foster care for a couple months and now we have him. So in 16 months, 4 homes.....this will be his last home though. We are going to work with him, activity isn't an issue, he has a 3 yo Vizsla to play with and she seems to have ADHD....lol

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
We think it is separation anxiety, if someone is out there with him then he is fine but if you leave him for more then 5 minutes with just another dog...that's when he digs. He was hand picked by a guy and then after about 8-10 months he was dumped at a shelter, then the shelter put him into foster care for a couple months and now we have him. So in 16 months, 4 homes.....this will be his last home though. We are going to work with him, activity isn't an issue, he has a 3 yo Vizsla to play with and she seems to have ADHD....lol
Really think it's just because it's a working dog....If you don't give them work they will find their own work. Some working dogs out grow it but since your dog never had a chance to be a real pup in a real home with no training then it's doing what it want's right now.

Playing with other Dogs is NOT work.....they WANT a JOB like the rest of America right now. lol...

As to the members that say they just hit their dogs....well :rolleyes:

Here is something I learned from my German Shepherd Master Trainer.....If you hit a dog after the fact, meaning a minute or so later they will not Know what they are being punished for and it's not effective at that point. Their attention span for bad acts is within SECONDS....MEANING you have to catch them in the ACT and Then scold or punish so they can relate what they just did was wrong.

I would suggest doing what ZXMaimi said with walks, toys and never tried the pepper but never heard it didn't work either. :wink:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Oh....and I forgot...if you go the route with toys as opposed to digging HOLES you have to give LOTS of praise like shouting up and down it's his Birthday.....praise praise praise praise for good NO NO NO for BAD. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
779 Posts
Its instinctual and there's not really anything you can do that is guaranteed to stop the digging.

A dogs paws are his tools, in the wild they are constantly using them for digging, hunting ect...

But in your back yard, where the dog has everything provided for him, he gets bored and his instincts take over usually in the form of digging. (he doesnt know why hes digging... there's no treasure down there and hes not trying to tear things up on purpose.)

Soo, punishing him, isn't going to do any good, unless you can catch him in the act. And even then, It takes a dog 30 repetitions to learn to do something, but 90 repetitions to learn NOT to do something.

Some things that I did with my pup are:

Pick up the dog poop and put it in the holes, then bury it. The dog wont dig in that spot again once he gets a paw full of S**T, guaranteed.

LOTS of exercise and playing. Remember, A TIRED PUP IS A GOOD PUP.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY.... Establish a training regimen for the dog. Training (when made fun) will give the dog something to look forward to and something to think about during the day, which occupy him rather than digging up your flowers. And he will learn a general sense of whats right and wrong.

If you get anything out of my post, this is it>> Go to WWW.LEERBURG.COM. Do some reading in the Q/A section, and I highly recommend getting some of his DVDs, they work wonders.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got a picture? One of my rescues is probably mostly German Shorthair Pointer, as close as we can tell.

Actually, he's been digging a little but he digs a spot under the bushes for shade. Even though he can be inside whenever he wants.
HE LOOKS SNEAKY !!!!!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts