Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Help! My motorcycle won't start, just fires and then dies

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  russell 
#1 ·
So I've been having some issues with my battery. It's a new battery but if I don't charge it nightly then my bike won't start. Well I had to push start it a few times lately and now the past couple days it won't start at all. Even after charging for 24 hours and push starting it. It will come on, the motor will be firing, and then it'll die. I've tried playing with the idle adjustment, thinking it might just be too low, but that didn't help at all.

What could this be? I'm about to take it apart and check the spark plugs, but even that is a huge pain in the ass, a 2 hour ordeal. What else should I check for?

This is pretty much an emergency for me, since this is my daily, and I have no car, so anything at all helps. Thanks :headshake

#3 ·
that's what i'm doing first. problem is i don't know anyone who rides sport bikes, i did, but not anymore, so i'm having to either swap the battery or just waste money on a new one.

#5 ·
New battery, fully charged. Now my bike is turning over even faster, but still not firing up
spark plugs, injectors, timing? I don't know where to start

it was running fine this past thursday

#6 · (Edited)
How many miles are on it? It is possible that you might need a tune up. Make sure that your battery holds it charge. If it does not then you need to check your voltage regulator and your alternator to make sure you are getting the correct voltage to the battery. I had a similar problem with the battery not holding a charge and had to replace the voltage regulator. After checking that move to checking your fuel delivery system like the fuel pump, then check your electrical hook ups at the starter and spark plugs, after that look at your spark plugs. Your timing should be fine unless you lunged the bike and your fuel injectors should be ok unless you ended up getting dirt in them or are just old. I hope this helps. Keep us up to date.

#8 · (Edited)
Get a voltmeter check the batteries voltage before and after running. This will be a start for you to rule out a bad stator.

If the volts go up by at least 2 while running your stator should be fine. Like said by another member check your main ground wire that attaches to the frame under the seat for looseness or corrosion. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
damn i wasn't sure if i should start another thread, because i've dug a little more into the motor. at least one spark plug has no spark.

#11 ·
now my fuel pump isn't priming. could it have been dying? i hope that's all it is, but i can't afford one right now. just spent 500 fixing the bmw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.