Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue is that my 06 ZX10R won't turn on.

Back story..

Motorcycle got stolen for the second time in 6 months or so and this time the thieves attempted to hot-wire it looks like (not sure if they were successful) and they broke a few pieces.

They ripped out the bottom of my ignition switch, gouged my frame with the fork lock almost cracking it, and cracked the upper clamp during that process.

So I tried turning on the ignition when I got it back initially and no luck. Ended up taking it to a dealer and they told me the ignition switched needed to be replaced along with the upper clamp.

They were trying to charge me a ton so I just had them order me the part and I replaced it myself (since it just plugging in the bracket anyway).

I finally go the part in and hooked up then tried to turn it on and still no power to the dash or anything. I checked the cables and nothing appears to be cut, the fuses are all still good and the battery is charged.

I'm almost at the point of giving up and don't know what to do.. Any help would be appreciated before I sell it taking a massive hit in value. So any ideas or solutions on why there is no power to the digital display or anything else?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
if they attempted to hotwire it, there could be any number of wires that they cut. Just be sure to trace everything back and make sure. Another thing would be to test the continuity through the ignition system to make sure that turning the key is actually completing the circuit

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if they attempted to hotwire it, there could be any number of wires that they cut. Just be sure to trace everything back and make sure. Another thing would be to test the continuity through the ignition system to make sure that turning the key is actually completing the circuit
From the wires that I could trace and still see, nothing appears to be cut. I unplugged the bracket that you attach the ignition switch cable to and checked to see if there was a current from any of the metal prongs within and I got no current running in either direction (not sure if it would show me that it would even if it wasn't broken) but it leads me to think that there must be a break in the circuit before it gets to the ignition.

I'm thinking that perhaps when they tried to hotwire it, they fried the computer or something in it and that broke the circuit, disallowing current to the ignition bracket > ignition switch? That's just an idea of mine because I have no idea how that whole system works so I could be completely off..

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I don't ever recommend going to a dealer especially with electronics but if you have limited electronic experience than I suggest go ahead and authorize 1hr work to at least pin-point the problem....with nothing starting even the dealer should be able to at least find a major problem fairly quick which it seems you have but maybe something simple for them.

bloo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts