Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine just seized the engine on his 06 zx10, I am pretty sure it would be more cost effective to just get another engine complete. Any idea what the going range is for a used one.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I picked up a used 05 for 800 bucks, they range from as low as 600 if your lucky all the way up to 1500 or so...

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Buddy of mine just seized the engine on his 06 zx10, I am pretty sure it would be more cost effective to just get another engine complete. Any idea what the going range is for a used one.
i wanna know how he locked up the engine!

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Low oil or NO OIL be my guess...and I would just go for a new motor..

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
hahah or maybe he tried to clear the engine of metal shavings by using a garden hose and running the engine to completely remove the shavings then added oil...i know this has happened before....can any one find the post...i had no luck

·
Registered
658 Posts
or just put some super glue so not even a little oil would let out from the engine

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How it happened...

i wanna know how he locked up the engine!
I dont want this to feel like I am putting his business out there, I want to help him and am trying to do some foot work for him. He is a member here on the site as well as my best friend. I got sick to my stomach when he told me this. Granted its a bike sure, there are worse things that could go wrong in your life but..... shit that really fucking hurts. My bike is my pride and joy its an extension of my personality. So I know he is depressed about this whole thing. he is soooo meticulous with how he takes care of his stuff and I cant even imagine how pissed he is.

He was changing the oil, drained it, put a new filter, loaded fresh oil, started bike opened garage door to air out exhaust went inside, (its fucking cold in chicago) let it run, came back out, bike was off, tried to start it ....nothing, made some nasty noises, .... looked down, fresh oil was in pan under bike. either forgot to put back the drain plug or had it on loose and came out.
Simple, honest, painful, costly, mistake. Could have happened to anyone one of us. In fact it probably has in one way shape or form to most of us. If I had the loot I would buy a new engine for him myself as a gift. He has saved my ass so many times and has been there for me like a brother over the years, he even helped me get my first bike. Friends dont get better than this guy. I just wish there was more that I could do than just sit in frustration with him.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do the 04 or 05 or 07 engines fit or even work? connectors, computers etc?? as an alternative if the price was right?

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
04/05 are different in mounting points, but 07 will work not sure about the 08's and up. Sorry this happened, but hopefully next time he will not leave it running unattended right after changing the oil.

Tread

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
you'd be surprised how many people make this mistake, at the track! Gl with a new engine. Take the opp to learn more about the engine

·
Registered
658 Posts
I dont want this to feel like I am putting his business out there, I want to help him and am trying to do some foot work for him. He is a member here on the site as well as my best friend. I got sick to my stomach when he told me this. Granted its a bike sure, there are worse things that could go wrong in your life but..... shit that really fucking hurts. My bike is my pride and joy its an extension of my personality. So I know he is depressed about this whole thing. he is soooo meticulous with how he takes care of his stuff and I cant even imagine how pissed he is.

He was changing the oil, drained it, put a new filter, loaded fresh oil, started bike opened garage door to air out exhaust went inside, (its fucking cold in chicago) let it run, came back out, bike was off, tried to start it ....nothing, made some nasty noises, .... looked down, fresh oil was in pan under bike. either forgot to put back the drain plug or had it on loose and came out.
Simple, honest, painful, costly, mistake. Could have happened to anyone one of us. In fact it probably has in one way shape or form to most of us. If I had the loot I would buy a new engine for him myself as a gift. He has saved my ass so many times and has been there for me like a brother over the years, he even helped me get my first bike. Friends dont get better than this guy. I just wish there was more that I could do than just sit in frustration with him.
ouch, youre right it could easily happen to anybody, Ill look for a motor for you

·
Registered
353 Posts
damn that sucks!! I lube my chain on the stand, and walk away, but never again after that horror story..... ouch!!!!!:headshake

PS I ALWAYS check for oil under the bike after changing it, BEFORE I hit the starter, then I look again.... cuz I used to smoke pot, alot of pot, and these things happen:badteeth:

·
Registered
187 Posts
This summer my buddy changed the oil on his 08 R6. The next day we cruise up to the local twisties about 25 minutes away. About a mile after we increased to a brisk pace something was pouring out of the back of his bike. Turns out it was oil, at first I thought it was coolant. We pulled over and apparently he didn't get the drain plug quite tight enough so it backed out during our ride. My buddy picked him and his bike up, so he didn't have to get it towed.. He got a new plug and replaced the lost oil and fortunately it runs fine. I think he got luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know it's water under the bridge now...

but for future reference and to those of you who have experienced or seen others experience the drain plug backing out due to whatever circumstance, or a momentary brain fart. (it happens to all of us sooner or later)
All i can say is PMCS baby!! (Preventative Maintenance Checks and services)Check your $#!+ before during and after a ride. It may sound corny to some of you.
If you're military or just a damn good mechanic, or anal about your stuff, you know what i'm talking about.

It may sound like overkill, but for the short amount of time that I raced. I learned a few things. I always keep my bike wired. Drain plug, oil filter, oil filler cap, front and rear wheel axle nuts. Yes! On my street bike.
Call me crazy and overly cautious, but that's me.

There is really no way to combat just plain forgetting to put the drain plug back in after draining and before refilling, but a few moments of a check, check and re-check attitude may save you from a migraine later on down the road...or before. I feel for him and I understand about a persons bike being their pride and joy and extension of ones personality. I remember when I crashed my bike at the track and couldn't ride for a good part of the summer. Every time I saw a bike go by or someone called me to go riding, I was devestated. there is no worse feeling...that I know of as far as recreation goes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update, shes back!

Your Not going to believe this but, He goes back in the garage the next day buys some more royal purple bike oil, attempts to start it a few times with fresh oil in it and the drain plug on and the bike starts up again.
Starts off a bit loud and quickly quiets down. Will run it a few more time and re-drain some oils to check for metal particles. said it sounds a bit like a honda that needs a valve adjustment, but it runs, no smoke, no funny odors. will cautiously ride it when the weather breaks to see if any permanent damage occurred, thank you for the updates and support to all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts