Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive worked on cars and bikes and pretty much everythig tht has a motor all my life and i have never seen anything like this. im changing brakes and rotors on a 98 mystique and i cant get the rotor off to save my life . ive beat the hell out of it with a hammer, heated it, tried pb blaster nothing. anybody with any ideas

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Sounds like you've tried all the usual stuff. Looked at a service manual? Maybe there's something like a retaining screw. :dontknow: All else fails, C4 will take it right off there for sure. :lol:

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
LOL A lot of help you were!!!

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Well, think about it. Beat it, heat it, lub it, what else is there to do. Oh, oh, what a minute....Try pulling the tire off first. Doh! :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
gpz1100 could well be right, a lot of vehicles have a retaining screw.
Stand back from the job for a while and have a good look over it, use a torch and mirror to look behind the rotor and hub as well, you never know what is lurking there....manufacturers love pissing off home mechanics, it's how they get their perverted thrills.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Also if these are the front rotors, you need to check to see if the axle/half shaft retaining nut also holds the rotor in place over the wheel bearing/hub assembly. I've seen a couple of cars that were set up that way. If this is the case, you'll need a big socket which is typically something like a 36 mm and a big breaker bar. If you're fortunate to have access to a 1/2" impact gun, then it should be pretty easy to knock off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have looked everywhere for retaining screws, and i already took off the axle nut, think the same thing

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Do you have access to a service manual? Maybe online forum for that make of car? There has to be some reason it's not coming off (yeah, no kidding, right) using the usual methods.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have the ford service manual for 98 at my house, but you'll have to wait until tonite for me to access it. Hondas all use a single phillips head retaining screw, I'd bet there's something there that you're just not seeing. BTW, I hope that was a rubber mallet you were hitting it with......

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had the same problem with a friends 99 Hyundai and it turned out the rotors were pressed on. You have to take the whole assembly off and use a hydraulic press to remove them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i have came to the conclusion tht the rotor has got to be pressed to the wheel bearing, so im havin the ford garage look at it tomo

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
... Doh... I was going to ask you if the hub portion of the rotor had two small/shallow holes in it that are threaded. If it does, you usualy just have to thread a pair of M8 bolts into the holes and screw them in (a little bit at a time, alternating sides) to pop the rotor off.

g'luck, either way :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts