Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
.net Most Followed Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey Luis.... I have owned two Ducatis, the last one was a 998 Bostrom Replica.... don't get me wrong, it was a great bike, but honestly, I paid about $29,000.00 for it and the ZX-10 is just a better bike period. The ZX is faster, has a better riding position, handles just as well now I have the suspension dialed in and the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's on it. The Ducati had full Ohlins all around, big ass Brembos etc.... The only thing that was better on the Ducati were the brakes. EVERYTHING else, the ZX is equal or better by a large margin... Just my .2c worth.
thanks man, this is the reason i made this thread. so i can hear u guys opinions, and so far they have been very helpful :wink:

·
Registered
779 Posts
i would rather have one of the monsters as a "second" bike. modern japanese sportbikes are pretty solid. the maintenance on them are easy to do yourself. ducati's seem to require frequent expensive work,with lots of special tools. i also hear about lots of problems. they claim the maintenance requirements are less now though. i'm content knowing that my 10 can smoke the shit out of any of them!

·
Registered
360 Posts
i would go for it, that bike is amazing. if you do not like it you will get more money selling it then your zx10r, especially the 08 is comming out. go for it, ducati might have small problems but they look and sound better then any jap bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
dont do it man... ask him for a test ride so u can do a comparo.. il bet u will keep ur kawi..hey kawi are sexy too not everybody rides a zx10 specialy here in fl all u see is suzks..paint it with the same paint style as that duc..it will look bad ass too...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mind me if I'm wrong...

But wouln't a Duc 999 even used... still be valued / blue booked, and basicly "worth" twice as much as a used ZX 10?

I realise you said he's a friend, but still, isn't that still kind of a :eyecrazy: deal :dontknow:

·
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
dunno cause its hard to sell ducatis over here. sure its a bike to drool for but everyone was a jap bike. saw her today again and yeah its a good looking ride

·
Registered
209 Posts
dunno cause its hard to sell ducatis over here. sure its a bike to drool for but everyone was a jap bike. saw her today again and yeah its a good looking ride
its even harder to sell here. a 2006 zx10 is worth more than a 2006 duc999, around here, and thats if you do get a guy to by the duc from you. i thought it was different where your at.

·
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
bought my 10 brand new for 16.500 bucks here....kinda pricey but its how things run here, taxes are very high.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I like Ducatis...... But I am less enthusiastic about the 999 family when compared to the 998 or 1098. Just never really cared for the look of the 999. But that particular Ducati isn't just your average 999. It is a "Zerox Replica R" model and it should be worth pretty good money. Like double the amount of the basic 999. So for resale it could work out to be an advantage for you. But if no one will come up with the money when you get ready to sell, then you are screwed. They do not have broad market appeal like a Japanese liter bike. I don't know about you but I am not wealthy enough to have a Ducati as an only bike. They do require a lot more maintanance and more expensive maintanance, typically.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Trade, ride the duck for a while and sell it when you find some thing else you want. You should wind up with a nice profit and the experience of riding a Ducati. I have a very nice 10, I would be happy to trade...(can always get another one later)...and I have missed my Ducati since selling my 2000, 996. If the picture you posted is a 999R, I believe they retailed somewhere close to 30K. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yeah that there looks like a 999R:notworthy

if you can do an even swap do it and either keep it or trade it in on any jap bike made.

They easily go for $16,000 used and are really awesome bikes, with fullsystems they do right around 150RWHP and handle great.
but like others have said ALOT more maintenance for sure.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I bought an 08 Duc Hypermotard this summer. As for the maintenance, You have to do a 600 mile service, and then a 1, 2, 3, year service. I had the first one done and it cost alittle over $100. They changed the oil and filter, checked nuts and bolts, adjusted the chain, bled the brakes for me (had a little air in them), and installed frame sliders. I could have easily done most of it myself, but the dealer has to look the bike over and enter into the computer that it was in for service to keep the warranty up. They said the next year service would be alittle more because they have to do the standard service plus check the valves, probably closer to $300.

I know that costs more than my 10r ever did, but the Duc comes with a 3 year warranty, full roadside assistance, and a free trackday. On the downside though, the Duc eats up rear tires FAST! I thought the zx10 was bad but holy crap. I could push 3000 miles out of a rear on the 10 and never see a cord on a tire. 2200 on the Duc and I have an inch wide strip of cords showing around the middle, and the tire isn't even flatspotted. Guess it's the v-twin torque thing. I do miss the top end high horsepower scream of the 10r though.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts