Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my gen1 zx10r is currently for sale and I already have a couple of blokes interested and I predict it will be sold by the end of december, I'm already looking for my next bike.
Here's a pic of my old girl.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

I cannot afford a gen 6 zx10r or a 2019+ s1000rr so I'm looking to buy a low mileage (6-7k miles) 2016-2018ish superbike. I ride only on the street only so I do commute, twisties and rarely some top speed highway runs for fun and I don't care about track performance. I'm 5'10'', average build; for reference my gen 1 with aftermarket high pegs is very comfy to me.

Keep in mind I'm planning to put a full exhaust (or at the very least a 3/4 exhaust) and a flash+custom dyno tune aswell as aftermarket pegs, steel braided lines and maybe front master cylinder. Since dealers in my area do not have these bikes available and I cannot test ride for myself I would love the receive the insight of someone who has ridden them.
I've watched every possible review and read a lot of posts on many different forums and here's what I gathered about the bikes that are in my budget and that peak my interest. Things I value the most: street-enjoyable engine, good gearbox and quickshifter, realiabilty and ease of maintainance, fit and finish.

zx10r gen 5:
-weak bottom end/mid range, amongst the highest hp figures once it gets going
-smooth engine
-outdated dash (can be fixed by dropping 1k $ on an AIM dash)
-mediocre brakes
-good forks and mediocre shock
-intrusive abs
-cassette transmisssion for easy future maintanance (I value this a lot since I had to drop and split my engine to service the tranny on my gen1)
-good paint quality, fitment of the parts and finish
-very high pegs result in a bit aggressive riding position

L7-L8 gsxr1000r:
-best low and midrange due to VVT
-clunky gearbox, blipper sometimes can feel rough
-also has cassette transmisssion
-lighter than the zx10r
-very comfortable riding position
-better dash than zx10r but still not TFT
-intrusive abs
-good forks and mediocre shock
-paintwork is not the best and some parts apparently feel cheap

2016-2018 s1000rr:
-worse midrange than gsxr but better than zx10r
-most sophisticated electronics and abs that can be disabled
-good street riding postion
-expensive parts and apparently it's not uncommon for this bike to drop a valve
-nice fit and finish

Are the infos I gathered correct or mistaken?
Also, the R1's in my area are too expensive and they are supposely the most uncomfortable for the street. Although they have a nice sounding engine and a nice dash I'd say it's a pass for me.
CBR's are also surprisingly pricey and they make the least amount of power and I hate the looks.

I'd say that the ones I'm most interested in are the zx10r and the gsxr1000r. I like the looks of the zx10r more and I'm more of a kawi guy but I think that the street friendly riding position and high torque of the gsxr would make a lot of sense for my needs.

· Registered
10 Posts
I would honestly take the comments about the mid range being down on the zx10r as a pinch of salt reviewers seem to always over exaggerate about this for some reason .
I have had 2014 Honda fireblade 2021 bmw s1000rr the bmw even had shift cam and I honestly can not say that comparing to my zx10r SE 2018 to them Bikes the mid range is plenty not much difference in my opinion .

It’s mainly just the initial up to 4k revs what isn’t as good but it’s mainly down to the gearing I just don’t get what they mean 🤷‍♀️

I got rid of my new bmw 2021 for reliability issues and I’m in love with my zx10r 2018 it’s certainly the best handling bike I’ve road and the power is still up there with the latest machines

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would honestly take the comments about the mid range being down on the zx10r as a pinch of salt reviewers seem to always over exaggerate about this for some reason .
I have had 2014 Honda fireblade 2021 bmw s1000rr the bmw even had shift cam and I honestly can not say that comparing to my zx10r SE 2018 to them Bikes the mid range is plenty not much difference in my opinion .

It’s mainly just the initial up to 4k revs what isn’t as good but it’s mainly down to the gearing I just don’t get what they mean 🤷‍♀️

I got rid of my new bmw 2021 for reliability issues and I’m in love with my zx10r 2018 it’s certainly the best handling bike I’ve road and the power is still up there with the latest machines
I'm very glad to hear you are enjoying your zx10r. Do you have any mods done to it? I've seen dyno videos that show that the zx10r gains a ton of power down low going from a stock or 3/4 exhaust to full exhaust. I'd love the get another Kawasaki.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have the usual modsand I’ve gone for an arrow titanium slip on . I am eventually going to get it remapped. The riding position suits me well I’m 5ft11 average build . The engine is silky smooth it is a great bike . The front end seems to be very planted compared to other 1000cc I have road
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a sweet ride! I'm impressed you're saying the k67 s1000rr shift cams didn't seem to make much of a difference. It means that the reviewers are over-exaggerating their complaints.

· Registered
Gen3
449 Posts
I hope you make the sale, and best of luck.

Have you compared this to the GSXR forum? A good user base support helped me make my decision.
Based on your list, I have more reasons not to get the GSXR and the S1000RR. The 'issues' on the 10R can be remedied with aftermarket parts that are already in your plans.

It matters which spec the reviews are made for, US spec or non-US spec. Both have their pros and cons especially on off-the-shelf specs. Once you remap (with or without exhaust) will be a different matter.

Mid-range power, is subjective. Comparing them to a streetbike at similar gear and rev, is not equivalent.

The S1000RR runs a big bore short stroke engine (80x49.7), so the mid-range, isn't similar to the traditional 70x55 literbikes. Even the CBR-RR SP made that transition in the 2020 model, 76x55.1 to 81x48.5. 81mm is the max bore size for MotoGP. Incidentally, S1000RR came with 80mm since inception, so...

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not subbed to the GSX-R forum but I've been lurking there a lot. Of course threads made in either the zx10r and GSX-R forums seem to lead to people suggesting their brand bike because there is some degree of bias.

I'm assuming the big bore short stroke of the bmw makes for a better midrange, right? Honestly, as inviting the bmw seems, I think I'd skip it based on reliability alone.

· Registered
Gen3
449 Posts
It's the contrary, I believe. Shorter stroke is to reduce piston travel, enabling the engine to spin at higher RPM, producing more power. The S1000RR has variable intake to improve things. The new CBR-RR SP hits 300km/h in 5th gear.

The other complain on 10R, I heard, is the ergonomics to suit Rea, with the pegs going higher and higher from Gen4 through 6. The good part is, these gens have more 'spacious' cockpit feeling than Gen 1-3. I guess you'll like them.

· Registered
Gen3
449 Posts
One more thing to consider if that matters, which one holds value better. I think that might make or break, for me.
The 10R engine, is a bit dated (to some) and the VVT on the GSXR is enticing to some, perhaps even more (or less) down the road. Just did a quick glance at gixxer.com, some have not so good experience, literally.

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see the 2017+ gsxr becoming a collectable bike in a few years easily. It has been unavaible in europe since 2020 due to euro 5 standards and dealers have no gsxr's in their showrooms. Gen 5 zx10r might live under the shadow of the gen 6 which is still in sale. To be honest I don't really care: all I know I can bring home either a gen 5 zx10r or a 2017-2018 gsxr1000r and I'm looking for the best one for my needs. So far the zx10r is looking more appealing to me.

What bad experiences did you notice on the gixxer forums if I may ask?

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for linking the thread. I remember reading it a week or two ago. I value the transmission very highly so this is a minus point for the GSX-R.

I can see that the OP of the thread is saying his experience greatly improved after a flash in another thread of his which is odd since a flash and tune can't improve the feel of a gearbox when you are gear switching manually with the clutch.

Also by browsing his posts i can see he's a very picky poster and that he probably has some kind of disorder and over-focuses on little details.

That being said it's not the first time I've read in a forum or heard in a video that the GSX-R's gearbox is iffy.

· Registered
2011 ZX10R
50 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you decide. I came back full circle to Kawasaki after a few GSXRs. My first sport bike was a 1986 Ninja 600r I got in the latter 80's.

Reactions: Czano

· Registered
10 Posts
That's a sweet ride! I'm impressed you're saying the k67 s1000rr shift cams didn't seem to make much of a difference. It means that the reviewers are over-exaggerating their complaints.
Yes I do honestly feel that they exaggerate it the exactly the same as when they say mid range is down on the 10 r Bullshit in my opinion every inline 4 i have had are similar they all like to rev to extract the power.
I mean don’t get me wrong yes they do have a stronger mid range but for the technology what has gone into them it’s hardly that much better . I mean yes if you like opening up in 6th gear at 50mph useful but I could not care less 🤣. In fact I find it so frustrating how many times you see the mentions about weak mid range on the 10r it’s just weird 🤷‍♀️ . they might be slightly worse but it sure makes up for it when you have a massive top end kick it feels much more fun to me

· Registered
10 Posts
Thank you very much for linking the thread. I remember reading it a week or two ago. I value the transmission very highly so this is a minus point for the GSX-R. I can see that the OP of the thread is saying his experience greatly improved after a flash in another thread of his which is odd since a flash and tune can't improve the feel of a gearbox when you are gear switching manually with the clutch. Also by browsing his posts i can see he's a very picky poster and that he probably has some kind of disorder and over-focuses on little details. That being said it's not the first time I've read in a forum or heard in a video that the GSX-R's gearbox is iffy.
What I can also say is that on my 10r the gearbox is like butter smooth it’s certainly the best on any bike I have tried Hondas for example very clunky i have never road A gsxr so I can’t comment about there gearboxes . the quick shifter and bliper are ace and even work well at low speeds

· Registered
10 Posts
That being said it's not the first time I've read in a forum or heard in a video that the GSX-R's gearbox is iffy.
[/QUOTE]
What I can also say is that on my 10r the gearbox is like butter smooth it’s certainly the best on any bike I have tried Hondas for example very clunky i have never road A gsxr so I can’t comment about there gearboxes .

the quick shifter and bliper are ace and even work well at low speeds

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I can also say is that on my 10r the gearbox is like butter smooth it’s certainly the best on any bike I have tried Hondas for example very clunky i have never road A gsxr so I can’t comment about there gearboxes . the quick shifter and bliper are ace and even work well at low speeds
That sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts