Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an industrial design student at Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I am about to start my final year this fall and would like some help coming up with ideas for my final thesis project.

I know for a fact i want to design a motorcycle. It needs to be something different though and more than just a cool design visually. It needs to solve a problem and have a reasoning why.

For example, I have seen some people come up with solutions for safety, all weather, adjustable riding positions, etc... All of that has been explored before and I want to do something new and unique.

Let me know some problems you have when riding (not motor related), thoughts, or if you have any cool ideas for a new motorcycle!

Thanks!
Sean

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Ok, here is the holy grail of bikes.

Final Drive... Chain Vs Shaft.

Chain, Very high energy transfer, very low energy consumption. No "power turning"... dirty, high maint, dangerous (people have lost a toe on a get off)

Shaft drive. Quiet, clean, smooth, safe..... "power turning" (90' twice)

so the trick is, how do you make a final drive, that is clean and quiet (contained), low maint, but high energy transfer (no power turning).

ready.....

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
^ Cool thought Rifleman.

I cant think of anything either, electric motors have been done to death, automatics are out there (although maybe a push button shifter would be cool, right next to your throttle thumb or something), there are tons of products already to fix ergo's. They are starting to do stuff with jackets and airbags, so maybe something safety related?? Maybe a shifter that doesnt hurt my toes when i wear my flip flops (sorry couldnt resist :crackup:)

Sorry for the rambling, no real good ideas here, but if i think of something ill chime in.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thoughts, keep them coming! I like the driveshaft idea, however, I need to do something more design related and less engineer related. I am not shooting down any ideas and appreciate any thoughts and feedback!

Oh, and Rifleman can you PM me instructions to buy a 1/5th throttle insert? :wink:

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
maybe a bike with "smart" suspension, that when you sit on the bike it calculates your weight and tunes the suspension perfectly to the riders weight... it's possible, in the future.

·
Registered
411 Posts
a motorbike that shines at night all fairings light up helping the viability of the rider, reduces danger while riding at night

Edit: not talking about neons, i mean literally fairings light up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts