Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this akrapovic bolt on can and I would like to know if anyone can think of a way to adapt it to istall on my 2008 zx10r.

I got it at a estate sale, and have no clue what it was meant for, the three digits stamped on the cone are US7. if anyone could identify what brand model and year of bike its for that would be very helpful.

Lastly will I have a issue with back pressure and or remapping problems if I install a can from another bike onto my bike? seems like it should be a pretty easy adaptation all I need is a flange that bolts up and a pipe that will connect to the stock pipe. to make the connection.

I am new to the zx10 world, but have been riding a long time, I have never seen anyone do what I am asking so will be a learning experience if nothing else.

Thanks for your help on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
This is just my thoughts, I havent done it though.

Get a midpipe fabricated that will align the muffler to the headers and poisition it properly on the side of the bike. Make ths pipe about 1/8" longer than it should be, maybe even less than that. Get a bracket that aligns to the bolt holes on the end of the muffler. Flare the midpipe so that the bracket cant slide any off the midpipe. Bolt the bracket/midpipe to the muffler. Install it on the headers and mount the hanger to the passenger peg.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would just take it to a muffler shop where they can find a flange for that can, weld it to a link pipe and there you go...probably wouldn't cost that much either

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
after careful consideration, i believe this to be ur best option:badteeth:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,028 Posts

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the ideas, dont think duct tape hasnt crossed my mind, but seriously I think taking it to a muffler shop to have it welded is a good option. I do not know where I would find the flange is the real issue though.

I am new to this site and appreciate all the feedback, thanks for the insights and suggestions, always been a yamaha R1 kinda guy but bought the zx10 and am glad I did. It's a whole different animal. keep em coming someone has the solution to this problem. I bought the can for 100.00 and it has not even blued yet so I think its relatively new. In the end I am not out much money worst case scenario i resell it for what I payed.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I got another option. Chop the pipe down so its not 5ft long. But when you cut it down, measure it so you take the side where you bolt to off. Then you can rerivet the can so you have the exit with spring hooks on the end so its a slip on and not a bolt on. Then have a midpipe made and put the spring hooks on that. and then bam!! Heres a pic of my Akra on my Gen 1

·
Registered
268 Posts
Make a flange. Take a piece of flat steel and cut it into a circle big enough to cover all three bolt holes, Then cut a hole in the center of it the size of your exhaust pipe and get a muff shop to bend a piece of pipe to the rite shape and weld it to the flange you made, All done.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome idea, but where would I get the end with spring hooks? As for making it a slip on bro that's pure genious

·
Registered
268 Posts
It wouldn't slip on the muff shop would have to weld it to your link pipe. It would be like a ZX-12r they bolt on an that is what that can looks like it came off of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts