Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new here.
This week I bought a used ZX10R. At the dealership it was very clean and not wet at all.
Yesterday I went for my second ride and unfortunately had to find oil trickling down from it when I made a break. Or so I thought. I called the dealer and he tells me it's just old chain grease that cumulated at the sprocket, and when the engine runs it heats the old chain grease up and makes it trickle down (he didn't look at the bike and just told me that over the phone). But I'm not sure if thats true and I fear he just wants to avoid to have to repair it. Although it does in fact come from around the sprocket area and does stop running when the engine cools down. Did anyone experience something like this before, or has any advice otherwise? I made a picture from the oil, the first was taken about half an hour after I parked the bike there. The second a few hours later. Thank you in advance.
Greetings, Karl

·
Registered
2004 ZX10R (Sold) 2017 MV Agusta F3 (Sold) 2013 HP4 Competition, 2021 S1000 RR M Sport
312 Posts
That looks very much like an oil leak for sure.. take off the belly pan, its a 5 minute job.. is it a gen 1 2004/5 ?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum. It does not look like chain lube to me. It stopping dripping when engine off is irrelevant really. If you can remove the sprocket cover and clean all around there best you can and see if stops. most people could tell you just by looking at splatters. The difficulty being if it is oil then it could be coming very many places as it blows around while riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for your replies. Yes it's a gen 1 from 2004. I'm really not looking forward to the upcoming discussion with the vendor.

·
Registered
2004 ZX10R (Sold) 2017 MV Agusta F3 (Sold) 2013 HP4 Competition, 2021 S1000 RR M Sport
312 Posts
Remove the belly pan mate, it's really the only way you'll get a good look underneath..

I'd Fire loads of engine degreaser on the bottom end/sprocket area and give it all a good blast with a pressure washer..then fire the bike up.. you'll see where its coming from..its too evident to be a really minor leak... take plenty pics and a video and send it to the guy..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove the belly pan mate, it's really the only way you'll get a good look underneath..

I'd Fire loads of engine degreaser on the bottom end/sprocket area and give it all a good blast with a pressure washer..then fire the bike up.. you'll see where its coming from..its too evident to be a really minor leak... take plenty pics and a video and send it to the guy..

Thank you for the advice. I'll just try showing the bike to him first and if he still insists it's not and oil leak, then I'll do what you recommended.

·
The Pace
7,139 Posts
Oil leak. You have a warranty from dealer. Get the bike back to the dealer if he's Kawa certified. May take awhile but Kawa will sort out all the crap. Do not push time repair or have an attitude. What is needed is for a complete repair so that you can ride safely without thinking about cleaning up your driveway and garage.

fyi: when chain is over lubed by newbs, simply spins oil on the rear rim. All of us know that, but not all sales people, if that's your contact. No reason to confront him, just request service for the fix.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,513 Posts
Oil leak. You have a warranty from dealer. Get the bike back to the dealer if he's Kawa certified. May take awhile but Kawa will sort out all the crap. Do not push time repair or have an attitude. What is needed is for a complete repair so that you can ride safely without thinking about cleaning up your driveway and garage.

fyi: when chain is over lubed by newbs, simply spins oil on the rear rim. All of us know that, but not all sales people, if that's your contact. No reason to confront him, just request service for the fix.
Scout, you must've missed the part where the bike "is used". No warranty on used vehicles. Kawi won't do shit for this. His best bet is hoping that the dealer makes it right for him. But that's on the dealer and totally up to the dealer. That requires a bit of confrontation. If they won't do anything, then the buyer is responsible. You know what they say....caveat emptor.

Looks like more than chain lube. I've seen the chain lube issue before and that is true. But that goes away after a short period and that doesn't really look like chain lube. Talk to the dealer and see if they can assess it properly for you and get you back on the road to enjoy your new purchase!

Reactions: Kane2000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To clear things up. It's not an official Kawasaki vendor. Therefore Kawasaki is not involved. However, in Germany, no matter that it's a used bike, a dealer must give warranty for 1 year by law. So he must fix it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,513 Posts
To clear things up. It's not an official Kawasaki vendor. Therefore Kawasaki is not involved. However, in Germany, no matter that it's a used bike, a dealer must give warranty for 1 year by law. So he must fix it.
Good to know. It's not like that over here. At least you've got a path forward for the fix on that then!

Reactions: Kane2000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know. It's not like that over here. At least you've got a path forward for the fix on that then!
Yes, luckily the laws here are very much in favor of the regular guy compared to other countries.

Unfortunately the dealership is closed for the next few days because he is on vacation. But once he's back and I've talked to him, I'll keep you posted on the outcome, just in case someone is interested.

·
Registered
182 Posts
oil, you prob bought a crashed bike, engine casing got deformed or bent, here in USA there are no protections afforded to buyers of used bikes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oil, you prob bought a crashed bike, engine casing got deformed or bent, here in USA there are no protections afforded to buyers of used bikes
Well, it definetely fell over once or had a slide at low speed, because it has some marks on the left side. But they are very minor and don't look like a serious crash and I couldn't find any other marks of a crash. If you have any idea how to find out if parts have been replaced or if he tried to hide something, I'd be glad to hear though. I didn't think much of it at first, but the bike also has a suspiciously low amount of km (16.000km in 16 years)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it definetely fell over once or had a slide at low speed, because it has some marks on the left side. But they are very minor and don't look like a serious crash and I couldn't find any other marks of a crash. If you have any idea how to find out if parts have been replaced or if he tried to hide something, I'd be glad to hear though. I didn't think much of it at first, but the bike also has a suspiciously low amount of km (16.000km in 16 years)
What I was trying to say is, that although I'm no expert, I don't think that a fallover or slide that left such minor marks would be able to deform the engine casing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I only see what my shop bought/replaced in their receipt. If they want to sneak in a replacement, they can.

Although I would not suspect it. How expensive was it? I see it highly unlikely that a shady dealer invests more than 10% of the salesprise in parts. When I asked a dealer how much he would give me for my old ZX6R, he bemoaned that he had to replace the tires. Because they had clearly seen track use. Otherwise he apparently would have left the heavily used tires on... WTF?

Also, 1K km per year is at the lower end, but not unheard of. My Gen4 barely managed 12k in about 10 years from the previous owner. Considering how borked the suspension was set up, I am surprised it got ridden at all. My ZX6R was almost an outlier with 12k km after 6 years of previous ownership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only see what my shop bought/replaced in their receipt. If they want to sneak in a replacement, they can.

Although I would not suspect it. How expensive was it? I see it highly unlikely that a shady dealer invests more than 10% of the salesprise in parts. When I asked a dealer how much he would give me for my old ZX6R, he bemoaned that he had to replace the tires. Because they had clearly seen track use. Otherwise he apparently would have left the heavily used tires on... WTF?

Also, 1K km per year is at the lower end, but not unheard of. My Gen4 barely managed 12k in about 10 years from the previous owner. Considering how borked the suspension was set up, I am surprised it got ridden at all. My ZX6R was almost an outlier with 12k km after 6 years of previous ownership.
I see the point, parts that wear off are costly.

My ZX10R was a bit pricey compared to other bikes in the area, 6290€. But it is an ok price (I think), considering low km, that I bought it from a (at least at first sight) legitimate looking dealer and not a normal person who wouldn't give me guarantee and he just made a big inspection where he replaced basically everything that wears off except the tires (because they are still good for a season)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts