Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but can't find anything except for the stock service manual.

I want to setup my gen3 suspension properly for me (220lbs 5'10")

I've heard that at my weight I should probably buy a stiffer spring for the rear and re valve the rear shock to get optimal performance. But I pretty much just want to setup the best I can with the stock spring/shock.

I found these but the links don't work anymore. Any help or the new links to these would be great!! Thanks

Suspension/Misc Section

08 ZX1000E Setup Suspension.pdf(Right Click, Save As)

Gary J's Suspension Seminar.pdf (Right Click, Save As)

·
Registered
971 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
absolutely need a stiffer rear spring
+1 million on changing the rear spring!

Attack could not set up the stock suspension with the stock rear spring OP...

The front end is fine for a 220lbs rider.

Right now your bike turns into a chopper every time you sit on the bike...

Changing rear spring was like adding 20HP to the motor for me... I am that much faster after changing the rear spring (Racetech)!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I think I am going to get a racetech spring and take the bike to metric devil moto in Horsham, Pa. to have them setup the suspension for me.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
thanks, I think I am going to get a racetech spring and take the bike to metric devil moto in Horsham, Pa. to have them setup the suspension for me.
:eek:ccasion1 respect for taking care of the suspension before you toss money at go fast parts...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:eek:ccasion1 respect for taking care of the suspension before you toss money at go fast parts...
lol yeah well I have to get the bike re-dynotuned this spring as well, because I gutted the cats, changing to a m4 street slayer pipe, deleted the sai pump/block off plates, and added a k&n filter so gotta get it retuned. Im hoping for high 160's whp. Bike was previously dynotuned and only mods were two brothers slip on and pcIII.

I am due for a new rear tire so I think I am going to be trying out the new michelin power 3's.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
lol yeah well I have to get the bike re-dynotuned this spring as well, because I gutted the cats, changing to a m4 street slayer pipe, deleted the sai pump/block off plates, and added a k&n filter so gotta get it retuned. Im hoping for high 160's whp. Bike was previously dynotuned and only mods were two brothers slip on and pcIII.

I am due for a new rear tire so I think I am going to be trying out the new michelin power 3's.
Good stuff... Can't go wrong with Michelin. I'm running 2ct's and they are FANTASTIC!

·
Registered
101 Posts
i weigh about 210 geared up and i went with the racetech 11.6kg/mm (strongest spring) makes the bike ride so much better. much more control of the bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i weigh about 210 geared up and i went with the racetech 11.6kg/mm (strongest spring) makes the bike ride so much better. much more control of the bike.
Did you take notice that after putting the stiffer spring in, did it raise your bike at all?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
What weight is the stock rear gen 3 spring proper for? I weigh 175 in undies. Thanks. Mike.
150lbs max!

If you unload the spring you have all the travel but the spring is to soft so it acts like a pogo stick.

When you turn the spring down you have no travel so the bike rides super rough.

The right spring supports your weight, gives you the right amount of travel and does not over work your shock.

I just can't say enough about getting the correct rear spring. For me it felt like I got a Brand New bike!

Granted I was ridding very hard on the street so the change was a major improvement. I weigh 172 lbs.

·
Registered
427 Posts
VR6: Thanks for the great reply. It explained the situation perfectly. Which spring did you go with? I am losing weight right now, and should be down to 170 by the time I get the bike out. What did you set the sag at with the new spring? Please let me know, and thanks again. Mike.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Anyone know what Hyperco spring is required for the 200-215lbs rider? They have some great deals for Hyperco springs on ebay right now and I wanna snag one.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Your height affects the suspension to some degree as well...If yer a short ass like me more of your weight is towards the back and if your a skinny and tall more goes to the front..
Your suspension guy should be able to determine what you need for your type of ride/weight/ride style/weight distribution..

Now tire pressures will need to be tweeked to..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts