Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I'm at the track, bike starts. Put it in first, no fuckin gear. instrument cluster shows that it is in first, let go of the clutch, no gear engaged. Go to second, still no gear engaged... WTF is going on guys??? My bike has 13k miles on it. nothing been touched mechanically. Was out at laguna last weekend and bike went home in perfect condition. HELP!!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
Well, that's a new one. Very interesting...

So, the gear indication comes off of the shift drum. If the indication on the dash is working properly, then the shift drum is turning. If it's not going fully into gear, then there's a shift fork problem most likely.

Is there any resistance when moving the shift lever? Into any of the gears? If you have a rear stand available, put it up on the rear stand and try going through all of the gears with the clutch engaged as if you were riding the bike. If you can upshift past 1st gear in this scenario, then the output shaft is rotating and the PNF is disengaging.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok found out... my counter shaft nut walked off the bike.... how the fuck does something like this happen.. Damn it...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
White people problems

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
Ok found out... my counter shaft nut walked off the bike.... how the fuck does something like this happen.. Damn it...
Well, that's an easy fix compared to a tranny problem. Still, that shouldn't happen. Did you fold the washer over the nut correctly to lock it into place and prevent that from happening? Did you apply loctite to the threads like from the factory?

When the bike accelerates, the natural tendency is to tighten the nut on the countershaft as it rotates. But under deceleration, the tendency is to loosen the nut. That's why the safety washer is there and needs to be folded completely over one of the flats on the nut to lock it down.

Be thankful this happened in the pits and not out on the track! If you lose your chain out there you'll be lucky to just screw up your motor and not total the bike and get badly hurt!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
As in the front sprocket nut???

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what I'm seeing.. it was torqued to spec when the sprocket was changed.. the thing was folded over.. damn I am just pissed off right now. Way to to ruin a day.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I retract my smart ass comment "figured it didn't do any harm" that sucks man

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
Here is what I'm seeing.. it was torqued to spec when the sprocket was changed.. the thing was folded over.. damn I am just pissed off right now. Way to to ruin a day.
Yeah, is the sprocket cover removed from the bike all the time? The purpose of that and the more open "race" sprocket covers is to retain that nut should it start to loosen. It will back off until it touches the cover and stop. The tab on the retaining washer would have to fracture and break off for the nut to come off like that.

You're going to have to inspect the splines on the countershaft and the sprocket to be sure they aren't mangled if you intend to reuse the sprocket. They could be all buggered.

Again, just be glad it didn't happen out on the track.

·
The Pace
7,044 Posts
I retract my smart ass comment "figured it didn't do any harm" that sucks man
lol, my first thought was very intuitive. In yet another sense, 'middle class' problem!

Abo, I remind you, in my smart ass way, that the g4 hates being tooled with! lol!

and you were right here yet FAILED to see the pup! geez! You like, low energy? :smile:

Juice: rain here, so can't ride. Then the wife has be taking her to the dentist. White tribe prob!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time for a bath
and did it mess anything up?
No it doesn't look like it messed up anything.
Yeah, is the sprocket cover removed from the bike all the time? The purpose of that and the more open "race" sprocket covers is to retain that nut should it start to loosen. It will back off until it touches the cover and stop. The tab on the retaining washer would have to fracture and break off for the nut to come off like that.

You're going to have to inspect the splines on the countershaft and the sprocket to be sure they aren't mangled if you intend to reuse the sprocket. They could be all buggered.

Again, just be glad it didn't happen out on the track.
Yeah the sprocket cover is removed to allow for gp shift. I'm an idiot for taking it off. Fuck. I did put blue locktite. Sprocket looks good. I would guess it came off at the end of my day at Laguna. Arrrrrgh man I am just disappointed so disappointed...

·
The Pace
7,044 Posts
No it doesn't look like it messed up anything.

Yeah the sprocket cover is removed to allow for gp shift. I'm an idiot for taking it off. Fuck. I did put blue locktite. Sprocket looks good. I would guess it came off at the end of my day at Laguna. Arrrrrgh man I am just disappointed so disappointed...
omg, take a nap. When ya wake up a newer problem will surface and all will be better! lol

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Going home... three kawi dealerships around and none of them open. God doesn't wish for me to ride Today.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
There's no hardware stores in the area that carry metric hardware??? You could loctite on a standard nut so you can ride the bike and not miss your trackday! :idea:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Would the gear changer on the Gen3 help you out with your set up? I put this one in mine for GP shift and was able to leave the cover on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's no hardware stores in the area that carry metric hardware??? You could loctite on a standard nut so you can ride the bike and not miss your trackday!
The nearest is up in Chico , about an hour away. I'm taking this as a sign from God telling me not to ride today. It's all good. Z2 folks gave me a credit so I can use it on the next one.

Mama always said if you tow your Kawasaki with a Prius your countershaft nut will fall off.
Thanks for the laugh man... mama said do with what you got iF you broke lIke me aND dont need another payment.. It's ultra light trailer.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Would the gear changer on the Gen3 help you out with your set up? I put this one in mine for GP shift and was able to leave the cover on.
Yep. I ordered one a few days ago because i saw how dirty that area was getting. LOL guess I needed it

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.