Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding all day today, filled up twice, had a good time. On the way home stop to fill her up again, and the gas cap won't open. What the hell happened, it feels like the key is going to break off in the cap. HELP. I'm freaking out:BangHead: I had a good time today, and plan on riding out in the morning tomorrow. Someone please help. I'm pushing down and everything.:angryfire This has had to happen to someone else before. Please Help. How do I open this thing without breaking my damn key. HHHHEEELLLLPPP me please. :sad:

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
wd40 and light tapping on the cover,repeat and repeat until it opens.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, now all of a sudden I can't find any WD40, so I tried the cooking oil. FAF do I put it on the key or actually in the cap where the key goes?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
wd40 and light tapping on the cover,repeat and repeat until it opens.
:iamwithst

FLOOD that keyhole with WD-40. Work your key back and forth gently. Eventually it will open. Then you ought to take the cap off the tank and invert it so you can flush it out really well. This has happened to a lot of people.

Since it happened to me, I flush out and lube my lock about once a month to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GOT IT.......Damn I love this forum. Thanks Guys FAF, Super K, Casey if you are ever in the Southeast GA area, I owe you a drink.

:eek:ccasion1 Thanks Again :eek:ccasion1

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Leavin the bike open to rain and moisture really does a number on the lock mechanism. Try a little white lithium grease on the latches and lube the key and insert in keyhole x4. After you lube the keyhole and latches, work the key open and shut a few times, remove excess grease and you should be good for a while.

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
Just as a note, WD-40 is not really that great for your lock. It will loosen it up to get your lock working, but you should use an actual lubricant afterwards. Most locksmiths use graphite powder, but light machine oil will work.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
GOT IT.......Damn I love this forum. Thanks Guys FAF, Super K, Casey if you are ever in the Southeast GA area, I owe you a drink.

:eek:ccasion1 Thanks Again :eek:ccasion1
No problem.
I'm just north of Asheville. Bring the party to me.:lol:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guiness, served at 52 degrees F.
I got you, damn, and I was just up in Jersey.

Leavin the bike open to rain and moisture really does a number on the lock mechanism. Try a little white lithium grease on the latches and lube the key and insert in keyhole x4. After you lube the keyhole and latches, work the key open and shut a few times, remove excess grease and you should be good for a while.

Thanks...I keep the bike garaged, but I have got caught in the rain a couple of times. I mean you guys just don't know....I was freaking out. :lol:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Just as a note, WD-40 is not really that great for your lock. It will loosen it up to get your lock working, but you should use an actual lubricant afterwards. Most locksmiths use graphite powder, but light machine oil will work.
Oh lord.

WD-40 is a light machine oil.

I agree with wookie in theory...... but I am still fighting back the urge to argue with him. Guess I better go look at another thread......:lol: :lol:

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Oh lord.

WD-40 is a light machine oil.

I agree with wookie in theory...... but I am still fighting back the urge to argue with him. Guess I better go look at another thread......:lol: :lol:
:bitchslap :boxing: :pain10: :flag:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I got stuck at the gas station with the same problem last year, I eventually got it to work with a little Starbucks Iced Coffee , I then spent the next 10 minutes cursing the bike as it wouldnt start, WTF ?? frustration !! , then I relised my kick stand was down.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I got stuck at the gas station with the same problem last year, I eventually got it to work with a little Starbucks Iced Coffee , I then spent the next 10 minutes cursing the bike as it wouldnt start, WTF ?? frustration !! , then I relised my kick stand was down.
:+1: I had to ask the gas station attendant for WD-40, spent 10 minutes workin that biatch before it opened.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i have always heard to never use wd-40 or oil in locks as it will gum them up. heard only to use graphite powder, or other dry lubricants made for locks. thankfully, i havenever had the problem so far.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

:crackup:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Good thread to read...never heard of this problem...maybe I'll take care of mine before I get stuck at a station.

I think I have some graphite powder laying around somewhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts