Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work involves me standing outside at all hours no matter the weather and even at the best of times I suffer from cold feet. I am therefore interested in these;

http://www.gerbing.com/coreheat.net/Products/Heated Sock Liners.html

Sadly they don't seem to distribute them over here, and I can find nothing else that looks anywhere near half decent. I trust Gerbings as I have a pair of their heated bike gloves and they are fantastic!!

Anyway just wondering if perhaps anyone would be so kind as so send me over a pair, obviously I will pay for them but should anyone insist on buying them for me out of sympathy then that's fine by me lol.

If anyone can suggest another product then please do.

Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I wear wool socks and fleece lined boots but feet still get cold, and with wind be -5 in London today and I'm stood out in it!

·
Registered
457 Posts
You need to talk us Canucks, where -5 all day is warm for at least two months of the year. There are camping specialty shops that you can buy such things, including Mountain Equipment Co-op (http://www.mec.ca/) and work supply chain Mark's Work Wearhouse (http://www2.marks.com/). There are a number of others.

I didn't check shipping policies, but I can't imagine they'd be hesitant in shipping overseas. However, I'd look for online suppliers of the products first (e.g. Wigwam, who have been around forever and are built in Ontario, IIRC).

Oh, and Mark's can fit really big guys.

Finally, you really should take a good 2/3 to 3/4 of that $200 and invest in better shoes/boots, since that's a good part of the warmth equation. Can you find/buy/wear Sorels (e.g. http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.asp?categoryID=-99&terms=sorel&href=/ctwnew/markprod.nsf/ProductListByID/DEE58F7134ABB9FE802576EC00138540?OpenDocument)?

Your best bet for research/info would be oilfield workers/companies and utility workers/companies here. ATCO electric and Trinidad drilling are two whom you could email and ask for advice from their OH & S folks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some good ideas there thanks. As for Sorel boots, sadly no I could never get away with wearing them.

Currently I'm using North Face Chiklats which are fleece lined, but to be honest I'm pushing it with these too as they don't look like footwear I should be wearing and can't be polished.

But I will look further into your other suggestions thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's me behind David Cameron...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have you thought of contacting your armed forces folks? I know the UK does cold weather training in Canada, so they need to have footwear and such to endure it. You appear to be special police force (SWAT, Tactical team, or whatever the equivalent is).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You appear to be special police force (SWAT, Tactical team, or whatever the equivalent is).
Nothing that fancy, I'm in a special operations unit yes but nothing like SWAT, I'm in the Diplomatic Protection Group. If any of you are ever in London and see a red police car, that's us.

As for armed forces boots, I'm too sceptical to believe our boys would get issued with any real decent kit. As a firearms officer we do get issued with boots, but they are neither warm or comfortable and mine remain boxed as new.

I know my main problem must be rubbish circulation, plus the fact that the majority of the time out in the cold I'm standing pretty much still, so I need something pretty kick-ass to keep my tootsies warm!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I meant that you should contact your armed forces folks to get info on what footwear they use for cold weather, which would include socks.

Are the palace guards from the same team you serve on? They don't move a whole lot for good periods of time and could be a good source of information.

I've owned a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots for about 20 years, had them resoled once and used to wear them quite a bit. Great boots/warm/good support and fit. They are quite pricey in this part of the world (I paid about $250 CAD on sale all those years ago), but they are very light, flexible, comfortable, use Goretex, have lots of padded support, and come in black (http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7136-vasque/7136-vasque-mens-sundowner-gtx-black). You could cut off the Goretex tag and they can polish up nicely, although not a gloss finish.

You can also try (http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/motor_trooper/20242) and the 27422 fireman boots, which both can be polished and you'd only need a good wool sock to likely keep you warm. If you don't already, you should also consider keeping your legs and core warm, which will help keep the feet warm. They're also pricey (more than $250 USD before shipping) and they look like they'd be a lot of work to break in.

Shoe repair places can help a bunch with stretching/breaking in. I had my hockey skates custom stretched and I couldn't believe how amazing the fit was afterwards.

The last I'll offer on this one - doesn't your organization care about occupational health and safety? If so, I'd wonder why there isn't someone dedicated to finding you footwear that keeps you comfortable. Are budgets that thin?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
My work involves me standing outside at all hours no matter the weather and even at the best of times I suffer from cold feet. I am therefore interested in these;

http://www.gerbing.com/coreheat.net/Products/Heated Sock Liners.html

Sadly they don't seem to distribute them over here, and I can find nothing else that looks anywhere near half decent. I trust Gerbings as I have a pair of their heated bike gloves and they are fantastic!!

Anyway just wondering if perhaps anyone would be so kind as so send me over a pair, obviously I will pay for them but should anyone insist on buying them for me out of sympathy then that's fine by me lol.

If anyone can suggest another product then please do.

Cheers
I have sent Care Packages to Military Members in WAR for Free at least $30 worth.....so I guess my answer is NO LOL I do not insist on sending you anything "out of sympathy" :headshake:mrgreen:

bloo

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I meant that you should contact your armed forces folks to get info on what footwear they use for cold weather, which would include socks.

Are the palace guards from the same team you serve on? They don't move a whole lot for good periods of time and could be a good source of information.

I've owned a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots for about 20 years, had them resoled once and used to wear them quite a bit. Great boots/warm/good support and fit. They are quite pricey in this part of the world (I paid about $250 CAD on sale all those years ago), but they are very light, flexible, comfortable, use Goretex, have lots of padded support, and come in black (http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7136-vasque/7136-vasque-mens-sundowner-gtx-black). You could cut off the Goretex tag and they can polish up nicely, although not a gloss finish.

You can also try (http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/motor_trooper/20242) and the 27422 fireman boots, which both can be polished and you'd only need a good wool sock to likely keep you warm. If you don't already, you should also consider keeping your legs and core warm, which will help keep the feet warm. They're also pricey (more than $250 USD before shipping) and they look like they'd be a lot of work to break in.

Shoe repair places can help a bunch with stretching/breaking in. I had my hockey skates custom stretched and I couldn't believe how amazing the fit was afterwards.

The last I'll offer on this one - doesn't your organization care about occupational health and safety? If so, I'd wonder why there isn't someone dedicated to finding you footwear that keeps you comfortable. Are budgets that thin?
If by palace guards you mean the armed police at Buckingham Palce, then yes we are basically the same, though a different unit. They are SO14 Royalty Protection, we are SO6 Diplomatic Protection, essentialy exactly the same job though, and asking any of them would be the same as asking anyone on my team.

Basically it all boils down to the fact that I definately get colder feet than most, it really isn't a major problem everyone suffers or anything.

As for budgets, they are all thin and constantly being cut. We get issued some good uniform namely a coat, fleece and over trousers, but everyone spends their own money on decent gloves, boots, headovers, thermals, etc.

Had a look at those boots you suggested, not really to my liking and would look out of place, for instance most people wear Magnums and nobody has them polished up.

Cheers anyway though, appreciate all the options and advice.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Foot/toe warmers look good, but doig 12 hour shifts I could be using 2 pairs a day and would munch through them in no time, ending up rather costly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts