Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help boys.....Last night I rode my bike like I normally do on the highway. Next thing I know I'm lossing power and harsh ticking loud noise appears. I pull off the highway and the noise sounds like the top of the motor. It starts fine with no piston or ring noise. Dunno what to do? My warranty was up at the end of may. Could it be a bad valve? My other question is what are some places that rebuilt this engine performance wise. If I'm looking at dropping 500-1000 on labor at a kawi dealer, then I might as well drop another 2K and get it done right. I think there was a place in NJ...but dunno

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Ivan might be close to you, I mean a few hours. Where has Ivan been? Must be on the new K5 project pretty hard.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
extremelean said:
High speed generator may have failed.......have dealer check this item first.
Yep. That's what happened to mine. Been down since ~ 6/1.

XL: Do you know if I'm getting revised/improved parts, or just getting the same but new again?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update,
Not 100% haven't torn her down yet, but I do believe it is my akra headers dislodged......keep ya boys updated

·
Registered
184 Posts
extremelean said:
High speed generator may have failed.......have dealer check this item first.
mine (generator) just took a big dump the other day ... made quit a mess too. :bs:

will kawasaki do anything about this or am I just on my own ?

BTW my warranty was up in may

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
extremelean said:
CanyonCarver....why down for 2 months???.....give me details and tell me what parts are being replaced (if you can)

Send me the last six #'s of your frame in a PM.
Bike started making a horrific noise about 3 weeks b4 my 1-year warranty expired, so I brought it in to the dealership I work with and purchased from. Svc mgr correctly diagnosed the alternator as the problem, as they had dealt with another one that had expired due to the same problem.

The Svc Mgr called Kaw and received the go-ahead to warranty the alternator and replace the parts, which were then ordered. He ordered all the updated/superseded part numbers on the '04 fiche. When everything arrived, they attempted to rebuild the bike, but found that one of the original parts (which wasn't damaged) that didn't show an updated/superseded part number did not fit with the new parts.

He called Kaw again and was told that indeed the part (a gear, I believe) had indeed been updated, but that the part number had never been changed on the fiche like the others had, but to go ahead and order a new one to match the other new parts. Order placed. Part comes in -- same old part!

Another call to Kaw. This time he was told that in order to get the new, revised part to work with the others, he would need to order the part number that was listed on the '05 microfiche, not the '04 which they had determined had not been updated properly.

And this brings us up to last Friday, when the part number listed on the '05 fiche was ordered. So basically, the long delay has been due to parts not being ordered (as it wasn't known that it was needed) and wrong parts being received after ordering. Part number confusion on Kaw's part, if everything I've been told by the Svc Mgr is correct. If the part that comes in this time doesn't get me a bike by next weekend, I may have to go another route. I've been patient, but my frustration level is rising rapidly at this point. Wasn't able to ride most of the winter due to weather/roads. Now I haven't been able to ride for 2 months, essentially all summer. And it appears to be because Kaw can't update part numbers. Please let me know if you can do anything to help, XL.

And just in case anyone didn't catch it, I have no issues with the dealership or Svc Mgr. It appears that they are just as frustrated as I am. And they are good guys.

Parts I believe are being replaced -- may not be all of them, just guessing on some, and all are from the Generator page of the fiche:

42033, 13234, 16085 (the troublemaker, I think), and all the little washers, spacers, and seals.

Oh, and PM sent, XL. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah....its seems my headers are in the correct place, sooo *uck! Anyway what kinda of noise do it make. Mine almost sounds like a bad valve. Loud ticking noise not to rapid(throttle controlled ) and also seemed to lose power??? BTW my warranty has expired in May. Prolly screwed. thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any help guys?? If it were the stator or generator would the bike start? It almost sounds like bottle cap bouncing around throttle controlled. There is no smoke and idles fine. Anyone heard of anyone burning out the lower bearings from long wheelies? I'm at a lost here. As I mentioned before my oil smells almost like a burnt plastic smell. There is no metal in the oil or coolant. I did lose power when it first happened and I just shut it down and brought out the truck and haven't ridden it since. Any input?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
fornication said:
Any help guys?? If it were the stator or generator would the bike start? It almost sounds like bottle cap bouncing around throttle controlled. There is no smoke and idles fine. Anyone heard of anyone burning out the lower bearings from long wheelies? I'm at a lost here. As I mentioned before my oil smells almost like a burnt plastic smell. There is no metal in the oil or coolant. I did lose power when it first happened and I just shut it down and brought out the truck and haven't ridden it since. Any input?
Take it to your dealer and have them take a look at it. And if you do have a problem, I suggest that you PM extremelean and ask for his advice on how to proceed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Robert....I talked with your boys at the dealer and finally figured out what was going on.....I believe the snafoo has been undone (fingers crossed).
Sometimes part #'s get mixed up at the vendor and we end up with the wrong parts in the right box.
I wish I had known about this a long time ago...we could have saved you some grief and riding time....apologies are sincere.
Of course we dont want you to jump ship, thats why I'm doing all I can.
Keep me posted on the progress of your machine, I dont want to keep calling the dealer and bugging them.
I have been a Technician/mechanic for 23 years now, 11.5 were spent in a dealership, the rest have been spent here at KMC...So my point is, I know your pain I've been smack dab in the middle of many of these snafoo's and have always tried to make them right.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
extremelean said:
Hey Robert....I talked with your boys at the dealer and finally figured out what was going on.....I believe the snafoo has been undone (fingers crossed).
Sometimes part #'s get mixed up at the vendor and we end up with the wrong parts in the right box.
I wish I had known about this a long time ago...we could have saved you some grief and riding time....apologies are sincere.
Keep me posted on the progress of your machine, I dont want to keep calling the dealer and bugging them.
I have been a Technician/mechanic for 23 years now, 11.5 were spent in a dealership, the rest have been spent here at KMC...So my point is, I know your pain I've been smack dab in the middle of many of these snafoo's and have always tried to make them right.

is this generator issue addressed on the 05's? is this something I should be watching for?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Canyon,

The does my discription sound similar to your 10? If so, your saying I'm basically screwed looking for the correct parts to fix it? I'm about to drive it through the front door of the dealer!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
fornication said:
Also, xl or canyon have you seen what the enternals look like, can you tell they are bad?

You will definately need to take it to the dealer and let them check it out, The parts being miss marked have been resolved.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
extremelean said:
XL: I apologize for not being eloquent enough to properly express how much I appreciate your involvement in getting my bike sorted out. I'll have to just say a huge THANK YOU (with some dorky icon
) for whatever you've done to help. I understand that things sometimes get mixed up and it sounds as if we're on our way toward a fix.

I talked with the Svc Mgr on Wednesday and he mentioned speaking to someone (he hadn't spoken to b4) that had the proper part in-hand and would ship to him that day. So, hopefully that was you and I'll be riding soon.

Sorry 'bout the frustration leaking through in some of my previous posts, but it's only driven by how much I enjoy riding the 10, and not being able to. I ride pretty much every weekend and am told I'm unbearable to be around when I can't ride. So after a couple months, I'm startin' to cry like a baby.

I have to confess I tried a Honda after my last Kawi, but slow & heavy sent me back to Team Green after you guys finally brought out a proper liter-bike. When I first heard about the 10, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and I haven't been disappointed at all. If I'm not riding it, I'm thinking about riding it. Thanks again for your help, XL.

Robb

P.S. And stupid of me not to think of getting in touch with you sooner. I haven't been on the bikeland.org site much lately, and it just never crossed my mind. I was also originally reluctant to gripe about it online 'cause people tend to freak and assume that every bike is going to have a problem, and I didn't want to start something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts