Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I could use a little help.

Recently started to have problems with my starter motor.

When I press the starter button. I hear the starter motor spin, but it does not engage the engine in order to spin the crankshaft.

Could someone help me diagnose what I may need? Is ii just a starter motor or do I have to fiddle with the starter motor clutch engagement system?

Please feel free to chime in and leave your comments.

I could really use the help.

Yours truly,

F 18 driver

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Since your avatar details don't list your bike year and it's not listed in the post, the responses are going to be more generic. And I'll have to assume that you're referencing a bike model and not your F-18 that you drive. That would also depend on whether it's an F-18A/B, F-18C/D, F-18E/F, or the G variant. :wink: :lol:

Are you positive the starter motor is actually spinning and not cranking the motor over? Or are you just hearing the rapid clicking when the button is pressed? The starter motor itself is connected to the flywheel by the starter clutch. If the starter spins just fine but the crank doesn't turn, the clutch is suspect. If the rapid clicking occurs, then that's something different and not related to the starter at all.

More details and we can help with your fiddling. :ayyy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

SkyDork… F-18E …I'm the only one that screams in the cockpit (it's been a few years…Alpha Mike Foxtrot)

What do you fly? ATP?

I'll straighten my avatar out…

Gen2 2006 model…

The starter is not clicking and the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the crankshaft intermittently

While I have your attention. Can I pick your brain a little bit?

To date I have replaced

New fuel pump and filter and back flushed fuel pump system and inspected fuel regulator

Purchased used throttle body via eBay 13,000 original miles (secondary throttle valve actuator is quiet and appears to operate normally)

plugs (CR9EIX)

Purchased a fuel injector rebuild kit (micro filters and O-rings), but have not installed as of this date

New dilemma:

Today I noticed a slight miss at idle

I Have not synchronized the throttle bodies as of yet… A friend needs to replace my vacuum synchronizer

At the same time, I replace throttle bodies. I also replace the plugs and I had a B**** of the time.

I'm such an ass that I used some plugs for my Hayabusa (CR9EIX read on this form that they were okay to use) that were brand-new… But because of this, miss now I'll have to: replace the plugs again with what the OEM calls for. Further, I am considering replacing the coils.

What your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Yours truly,

F-18 driver

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Hello,

SkyDork… F-18E …I'm the only one that screams in the cockpit (it's been a few years…Alpha Mike Foxtrot)

What do you fly? ATP?
Cool! I'm currently not flying right now. I wish I had my ATP, but I'm just Commercial, SEL, SES, MEL, Instrument. I do get a lot of time in simulators and have several thousand hours in those. Most recently in a C-2A COD and a USMC CH-53E Super Stallion. The -53E is much better than a COD, but still not as good as a Rhino! :lol:

Gen2 2006 model…

The starter is not clicking and the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the crankshaft intermittently
The starter issue is related to the starter clutch. It's time to tear into that and fix it.

To date I have replaced

New fuel pump and filter and back flushed fuel pump system and inspected fuel regulator

Purchased used throttle body via eBay 13,000 original miles (secondary throttle valve actuator is quiet and appears to operate normally)

plugs (CR9EIX)

Purchased a fuel injector rebuild kit (micro filters and O-rings), but have not installed as of this date

New dilemma:

Today I noticed a slight miss at idle

I Have not synchronized the throttle bodies as of yet… A friend needs to replace my vacuum synchronizer

At the same time, I replace throttle bodies. I also replace the plugs and I had a B**** of the time.

I'm such an ass that I used some plugs for my Hayabusa (CR9EIX read on this form that they were okay to use) that were brand-new… But because of this, miss now I'll have to: replace the plugs again with what the OEM calls for. Further, I am considering replacing the coils.

What your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Yours truly,

F-18 driver
Yes, those plugs will work, but the original ones are a better plug. If I remember right, they have a slightly longer center which puts it deeper into the chamber. Based on this and your other thread, I'm not sure the coils are the issue. Replacement them if you want, but there's no signs they need to be.

A used TB with unknown issues is obviously something else to look at. The first thing is they should be synced. The next thing would be the injectors. Who knows what the state of those are. Pull 'em and bench flow/test them or get new injectors. That eliminates that as a possible problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts