Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently installed win xp with service pack 2 and internet explorer 7 on my amd 64 bit desktop computer. This comp accesses the internet via a 4 port adsl router modem, and while internet access is ok 90% of the downloaded files are corrupted. Even e-mail attachments are no good. I have actually checked the e-mails via web mail and they have been ok but when I do a send & recieve in outlook, most of the time I get garbage. At wits end with this one & the technicians at the local comp store dont know whats going on. If any hints... please chime in. Cheers

·
I bleed Green!
2,612 Posts
Sounds to me like your pc is on the way out. Mine did the same thing I lost all my files in the hard drive. All were currupted not saveable sory to here that. Back up your files on a out side sorce. Good luck. Mine currupted to the mother board.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think the pc is ok. only corruption prob is via the email and download. LAN via same modem is ok. This is only a recent installation of 32 bit xp as I was running 64 bit xp but had too much trouble getting drivers. Problem started immediately after new installation. Should note it is not the service provider as all other computers (3 of) are fine through the same router

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Right out of the box. Only 2 weeks ago... thinking it must be some security setting or something. Bit loath to leave it with the comp store techs because it has all my personal stuff on it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Without knowing more about your setup, it's hard to say. But the first thing that comes to mind is are you using any virus program(s) to scan outgoing and incoming email? If so, disable it temporararily, then try sending and receiving and see if you still have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amd 3800+ 64 bit. gt6600 nvidia graphics. 2gb ram. 2x hard disk drives 200gb and 80 gb. abit guru motherboard. adsl 4port netcomm +4 router modem. 1.5mb connection. Running win xp sp2 fully updated with internet explorer 7. E-mail via pop 3 server using outlook to send and recieve. think outlook was the first version for xp made. Constantly corrupt downloads of most files via ie7 and e-mail attachments. Seems the only way I can get my emails is to download them from my hotmail account or from my other computer. Have even swiched lan cables and ports on the router

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sonnyboy11 said:
Without knowing more about your setup, it's hard to say. But the first thing that comes to mind is are you using any virus program(s) to scan outgoing and incoming email? If so, disable it temporararily, then try sending and receiving and see if you still have the same problem.
Running Avast 4.6 home. Same on all computers. This one is the only one with ie7 but since this is also a prob with outlook I didn't think it would have been explorer. Actually when I downloaded explorer 7 it was corrupted, so I think it goes back before that

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sonnyboy11 said:
Will try that. Didn't think to as it causes no probs on the others... but who knows. I am thinking it is some security issue, but not sure where to start

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I believe I would do a new fresh install and not put IE7 on it and see what happens. It may be something that was installed conflicting with Outlook or the virus scanner. Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express? If you are using Outlook Express you can download Eudora, its free and similar to Outlook, kinda like Firefox and IE are similar.

Tread

·
Registered
451 Posts
Explorer is integrated into the windows system so if your download for that is bad then that will cause a system wide problem. So first thing I would do is format and re-install.

My thoughts though is that you are getting very high levels of packet loss/crc errors on your network. Get pingplotter (www.pingplotter.com) and run that with a high ping / second count. It will tell you if you are losing any packets or getting CRC errors.

If you are getting them only on the one machine that narrows it down to a network problem on that box. It may be a case that you have a defective network card..

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when i downloaded ie7 the download file was no good. so I run it direct from the site instead of saving it. worked ok then. will try this pingplotter and see what happens

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dont think the network card faulty. probs only occured after reinstallation of windows

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would guess that any file you are downloading will be corrupting - if you run from the website it still downloads it locally and its a big chance that ie7 was buggered as well

·
Registered
746 Posts
Out of curiosity, maybe try this. Download firefox 64 bit version with another computer and install it on the faulty computer and see what happens. I'd be real quick to blame IE7. It's nice, but still buggy.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I'm with Tread and Harlequin on this. Fresh install of XP. Cured a lot (not all) of my problems. Unless there are specific sites that you have to have IE for, or if you don't like Firefox, etc, use something other than IE for a browser. Don't think it's the NIC unless you're having other surfing or sharing problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts