Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help bleeding blakes with the Mityvac

i had tried bleeding my brakes earlier with just a rag and a wrench but pumping the break lever was a pain and it was messy.

so I bought the Mityvac yesterday at cycle gear along with some other stuff to do my own maintenance on my bike. Well the mityvac is pretty simple, i read through the directions and followed the steps.

just hook the joint to the bleeder valve on the caliper closest to the master cylinder reservoir, then to the first section of tubing, then the second section of tubing, then to the mityvac reservoir and then to the mityvac pump. filled the master cylinder reservoir with fresh dot4 fluid. then opened the bleeder valve on the caliper and pump about 10-15 times on the mityvac pump. instantly you can see the fluid flowing through the tubes with a significant amount of air. probably 3-5 medium bubbles per second. well whenever the brakes are bled there should be only very tiny bubbles coming out steadily, and those are bubbles that come from around the joint that hooks to the bleeder valve, but no matter how much i bled them there were constantly big bubbles coming through, but i figured that it must be due to the seal around the joint being weak so i just closed it off and did the same thing to my front left caliper, and getting the same result.

well my brakes don't feel more firm than they did before, which is when i bled them by hand with a wrench and rag. what am i doing wrong!!??

breeding brakes??

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've read that, but that guy didn't use a mityvac, so you must have just ignored my entire post... i'm asking for help on HOW TO USE THE MITYVAC.

·
Registered
423 Posts
have you tried bleeding the master cylinder ? if not try that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean that to be rude.

If you are getting large bubbles consistently, you might want to go back and check if all connection are torqued properly. Also that plastic tubing on the mighty-vac gets hard after several bleeds and might need to cut a little off and try again.
You might be opening the bleed valves too much also. You just need to crack them loose just enough to get the fluid to run. Hope this info helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the tubing is brand new. bought it yesterday, so i don't think thats the problem.

i think i need to open the valve less though, it is flowing pretty heavily, probably not restricting the flow enough.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you tried bleeding the master cylinder ? if not try that.
i'm not sure how to do that, actually. i'll have to look at the parts manual.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
i'm not sure how to do that, actually. i'll have to look at the parts manual.

Bleed the left caliper next the right and the Master Cylinder. MC is where your brake lever is at, there's a bleeding bolt just like the caliper just a rubber cover :dontknow:.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
its the 05. so bleeding from the calipers should be sufficient?

if so then i still have no idea why my brake lever isn't as firm.

·
Registered
423 Posts
after bleeding the calipers, pump the handle and hold it then loosen the banjo bolt on the master cylinder just enough to let the air out. you may have to do it a couple times. bleeding to MC is the same princaple as bleeding the calipers. o and you may want to use a rag under the MC so brake fluid doesnt get everywhere

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
after bleeding the calipers, pump the handle and hold it then loosen the banjo bolt on the master cylinder just enough to let the air out. you may have to do it a couple times. bleeding to MC is the same princaple as bleeding the calipers. o and you may want to use a rag under the MC so brake fluid doesnt get everywhere
haha. another person who just completely ignored the whole point in this thread.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
423 Posts
i was trying to expalin how to bleed the MC, i would be willing to bet you have air in there. you can bleed the calipers until you are blue in the face. but if there is air in the MC you handle will still feel "mushy". have you tried to bleed the MC?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
i was trying to expalin how to bleed the MC, i would be willing to bet you have air in there. you can bleed the calipers until you are blue in the face. but if there is air in the MC you handle will still feel "mushy". have you tried to bleed the MC?
:+1:

04-05 don't have bleeder bolt on the MC. Just open your resevoir cap and keep pumping your brake lever. Check if you still have bubbles coming out to the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so if i just open the reservoir and pump the handle that should push the air back out?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i hope you're right my kawi friend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts