Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Unfortunately, my friend got into an accident with his 2005 ZX-10R about a month back. It is not economically feasible to rebuild the bike, so it is going to be sold as a whole or parted out. I'm currently trying to get the engine running. From what I can see, the engine was not damaged in the accident.

So far, I've gone through and visually inspected the bike, plugged back in all unplugged wires, checked fuses, and made sure that their is gas in the tank. When the key is turned on the instrument display lights up like normal. When the run/stop switch is turned on you can hear the exhaust valve cycle and what ever else it does like normal. But, even though I have physically put the bike into neutral, the green neutral light will not light up. If you hit the start button, the "FI" light flashes like the bike is not in neutral. Even with the clutch pulled in the same thing happens.

I know that there is a gear position switch, but I haven't looked into it just yet. I figured that I would ask you guys (the experts) for any suggestions. I'd appreciate the help.

Michael

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
possible that since its not showing up on the dash in neutral something in that dept is jacked, try holding the clutch in, kick stand up, and see if she'll start.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
If you haven't already done so, you may want to disconnect the "+" terminal on the battery. Then reconnect it. The computer and other sensors may need to be re-set by doing this. :dontknow: It's worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses...

RickRoush03,
With the kick stand up and the clutch in nothing at all happens, not even a flashing "FI" light. But, if I put the kickstand back down the "FI" light starts flashing again.

Ruthless Racing,
I tryed up disconnecting the positive terminal for 5 mins, same results as before.

projekZERO,
No the engine doesn't crank, there is no sound at all.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
just for shits and giggles, try push starting it? after that, who knows, computers are a biatch. if he has a pc3, maybe disconnet it for the time being? are you SURE you have all the wires hooked up and NOTHING is frayed or damaged? Man, it could be anything, keep us posted and we'll keep throwing ideas at ya!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Jump the starter. You can do this by finding the starter relay or by jumping 12v directly to the starter solonoid. We used to do in with a pair of plier on the '53 Chevy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the responses…

RickRoush03,
Can’t push start it, the chain is off and the swing-arm is bent bad enough that the sprockets don’t line up.

swjohnsey,
Is the starter solenoid easy to get to on these things with the starter still installed?

I know that it’s really hard to troubleshoot especially with the amount of information you’re working with. I’m only trying to get the engine running so it can be removed and sold as a “running” engine. I’m very confident that there is nothing mechanical wrong with the engine, but there is a good possibility that there is still something unplugged/unhooked preventing start-up.

Do these bikes have some kind of “vehicle down sensor” that disconnects the starter incase of an impact??

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
yes, all bikes have vehicle down sensor, you need to cycle the key to reset it. it may be possible that it got damaged in the process. download the manual for the bike, it tells you that info.

·
Registered
928 Posts
yeah the tip over sensor was my guess cause it happened to me, however in ym case the bike turned over just didnt start, and the FI light flashed while it was cranking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ProjekZERO,

Waht did you have to do to get it to start? Did you have to replace the tip over sensor?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try jumping the starter. On the left side of the bike, behind the coolant hoses, is where the starter is. Try using jumper cables to see if you hook the starter directly to a battery if it'll turn over. If you're only looking to sell the engine than you don't have to see why it isn't starting with the current wiring harness, just that it WILL start when whoever buys it hooks it up to there harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts