Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All the sudden the bike won't start while in gear (ofcourse the kickstand is up and the clutch is pulled in). It used to start.. it just won't any more.. I have to put it in neutral

Anyone else having this problem?

It's not the kickstand sensor... because when the kick stand is down and I try to start the bike.. the right bottom red light flashes.. If it's up, that light doesn't flash.. I'm thinking it's a sensor on the clutch??.. hmm...

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
im not sure but mine does start up while in gear

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Do you have a PC3USB installed? If yes, that's why. It also take longer to start. The starter has to turn the crank longer with the PC3.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how's the PC3USB a problem. I've always had it and was always able to start while in gear. It's just recently that it quit working.

I gotta check out the connection like holeegan said. But, if it did get wet.. then wouldn't get dry after 2 weeks of not washing it.. hmmm.. but I'll check it out anyways

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeffzx998 said:
Check the switch on the clutch. I had to fix mine also.
I think it is the switch... I checked the connection: looks good.
How did you fix it? did you replace it with a new one? is it covered under warranty?
I'm tempted to take it appart and play with it...

·
Registered
516 Posts
SP8 said:
Do you have a PC3USB installed? It also take longer to start. The starter has to turn the crank longer with the PC3.
I noticed that about mine. An extra second of cranking. Now I feel better.

Mike

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
to see if it's the switch, unplug it (open circuit) and see if it starts with the kickstand down. If it doesn't then short the switch leads together with a piece of wire(closed circuit) and it should start. If still not, the switch is not the culprit. or, check the wiring diagram in the service manual, that should tell you if the switch is normally open or closed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
[I'm tempted to take it appart and play with it...[/QUOTE]
I don't remember what i did.It happened shortley after i got the bike. Take the switch apart. I do remember it was something simple.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I have never heard about the PC3 being aproblem for starting interesting, can it be fixed, what causes it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all you guy's help, It's Fixed

I did what gladding24 suggested (You must've meant with the kickstand up, the bike will never start if the kick stand is down and it's in gear).
It's merely a mechanical switch
So, it's normally (clutch released) open circuit. It's short circuit when the clutch is pulled.
I unplugged it.. put the stand up.. put it in gear.. no start.
Short circuited it.. put the stand up.. put it in gear.. fired up.
So.. then I took it appart. cleaned it out (it looked like it had grease inside.. not sure if it's grease or just wet.. hmm.. now I'm wondering if I should grease it - it makes sense to grease it ).. tested it with an ohm meter..then put it back and now it works.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
10inja said:
I'll have to pick some up later on from the dealer,, take it appart again and grease it.. thanks for the tip.
you could probably find some at an auto-parts, home depot, or hardware store for much cheaper.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
It's your switch.

Just grind alittle off the the male end (the part that springs in & out) and you'll be ok.I had the same problem when i first got my bike.:wink:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Forgot to mention this problem was with the CRG levers installed,

"CRIPIN" if you see this you might have do this to get the bike to start in gear.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
im glad i dont have that problem

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
i think its just cuz i always just leave it on

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
the switch i mean