Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I’m a newbie to the 10r and am loving it so far.

I’ve had 1000’s before so am not a novice when it comes to tuning etc. But I’ve just got my 04 that has a mss headers to akra can,pc3 and that’s about it. Now I’ve got it booked in at mss to have a custom set up and am wondering.

1- is a TRE worth fitting as I’ve read so many conflicting reports about this

2- is it with the hassle of removing the secondary butterlflies?

Again for the same reason.

Many thanks

P.s. loving the site so far

·
Registered
335 Posts
stock gen 1 head pipes did not have those balance tubes connecting 1-2 and 3-4. lots of opinions on tre fitment, cheap mod i like on stk engines. plenty of opinions on removing sec flies, gen 1 i pull them.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I put a TRE on my 1st Gen and didn't like it, so I removed it. But it's just personal preference. Not a hassle to remove the butterflies, just a little involved. There are some threads about it here on the site

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Tre, if your going to get the bike dynoed, if you ride your bike mainly road and through spring and autumn i would leave the secondaries in, removing just gives a little uptop, but the biggest down side is cold starting, the secondaries are essential for auto choke. Those headers are custom pipe made locally by a fabricator for MSS, if its performance you want yes there better than stock headers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I got it booed in a bsd for a custom set up on Friday.

I pulled the filter to clean it in prep for Friday and noticed the pair system has been blocked already and the secondary’s have already been removed.

michael4012 Would you know who as I’d like to find out about them? Was it mhp?

Thanks.

P.s. I’m loving this bike already and only had 2 decent rides so far. It’s mega.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I got it booed in a bsd for a custom set up on Friday.

I pulled the filter to clean it in prep for Friday and noticed the pair system has been blocked already and the secondary’s have already been removed.

michael4012 Would you know who as I’d like to find out about them? Was it mhp?

Thanks.

P.s. I’m loving this bike already and only had 2 decent rides so far. It’s mega.
BSD is one of the good ones just now, good choice. Your question, are you asking who the local manufacturer for MMS is?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Since you're using a PC3 and not a PC5, you'll want the TRE installed. Or find a place that uses a flash software and you wont need the PC3 or TRE.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah mike. I assumed they were just arrow/akra headers etc that mss used. No one seems to have an answer

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Yeah mike. I assumed they were just arrow/akra headers etc that mss used. No one seems to have an answer
They are most definetely not arrow or Akro, they have been manufactured close to arrow speks but the materiel is different i had a set of those headers here for a while, there dimensions on the balance pipes are different sizes from Arrow (almost pointless) & the steel they use is a lower quality. I have asked a few people who it they use and to be honest it could be anybody its not hard to manufacture systems its the design thats hard but here they are almost copying a known design thats works well. I don't know why you need to know, there is a much better system used on that bike from the day (if your not restricted by stock rules) if its modifications then anybody can. Let us know what your hoping for, BSD have a good system man close to them as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I’m just hoping it’s gonna be mapped and set as best it can be. It’s way to powerful for what I use it for anyway (fast road only riding,with my bro on his 12 z1000

Regarding the headers I don’t care what brand they are,just want to know they are a good set,I’ve had people offering silly swaps for them so assume they must be good. Plus the fact if they infact were used by mss Kawasaki then hopefully they should be of good quality.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
There a good enough quality to out last the bike at its age most likely. what end can is on it, is stamped arrow mss? the superbike engines of that era here had the head modified by there builder to take the oval akri of the fireblade at the time, it gave the most usable power opposed to what you have there was sold mss for stock rules.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Michael what is the best system for this bike please? I had mine dyno’d and it made no real difference than just the end can alone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts