Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2008 ZX10 that has an issue with the neutral light staying on. it either flickers or does not come on at all...I believe due to this the bike usually does not fire with the sidestand down or sometimes it will run for 10 seconds at a time before it shuts down (w/ it down). It will stay running if the stand is up. What do you think the problem is?...I'd like to hear what you guys think before i start throwing parts at it.

Also if it is a neutral light safety switch where is it?...any pics from a 2008 zx10?

I've watched the vid below and it easy enough, but no luck in locating it on my ZX10.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I meant to say the neutral light does not stay on, it may light up temporary or flicker on and off.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
zx10rs don't have neutral safety switches, they have gear position sensors. If gps is faulty, the N light will not come on, and on 08+ zx10rs gear indicator will not work correctly. On 08 zx10r gps is located right by front sprocket, it has 3 wires coming out of it, one to ecu, 2nd to the gauge cluster, and 3rd to ground. Its held by 2 screws, be careful not to strip those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for that info (BTW all gears come up no problem besides from the neutral light on the cluster/dash). Is this the part I need?

SWITCH-COMP,NEUTRAL 13151-0044 $113.21

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
the gear position sensor has copper contacts for each gear and nuetral, spring loaded contact on shift drum rotates around making a circuit with each signaling nuetral or which gear bike is in. i would remove and clean contacts with scuff pad or fine sandpaper first and recheck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the gear position sensor has copper contacts for each gear and nuetral, spring loaded contact on shift drum rotates around making a circuit with each signaling nuetral or which gear bike is in. i would remove and clean contacts with scuff pad or fine sandpaper first and recheck.
Contacts CLEANED!...looks good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts