Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 zx10, and my battery just went to crap. Please help! What is the best and easiest way to get to the battery and get it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take the seat off, but it still wont come out. Anything else I can do? What am I doing wrong?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
You have to remove the two bolts on that metal bracket that runs over the battery and it will come right out. I think the ground strap is attatched to one side so watch for that so you know to put it back.

And you also have to remove the rear bolt that holds the tank on if I remember correctly. So you can tilt the tank a little bit.
I know I had the plastic fill pieces off when I did it. (Sides under seat.)

I had to do it not long ago, not a lot of fun- gotta love a battery tender.

Original battery was still working but after 5yrs I figured it was time to get a new one anyways.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just replaced mine about two weeks ago. You have to remove the seat and the two bolts from tank mount on sub frame. Kinda hard to miss what ones to remove.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I just replaced mine about two weeks ago. You have to remove the seat and the two bolts from tank mount on sub frame. Kinda hard to miss what ones to remove.
:thumbsup:That's what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where exactly are these two bolts compared to the battery itself? Over the top of the battery? In front? Or towards the back? Any pics? I am just hoping I can figure it all out by tomorrow.

·
Registered
289 Posts
where exactly are these two bolts compared to the battery itself? Over the top of the battery? In front? Or towards the back? Any pics? I am just hoping I can figure it all out by tomorrow.
:iamwithst
Give me a minute. I'll go take apart my bike to show you...

·
Registered
289 Posts

Good thing I was nice and did that cause one of mine fell out!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Took my about 5 minutes to take it apart, take a few pix, replace my bolt, put it back together and upload the pix.

So if you can't get it now I can't ya brother.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I dont know if you have your battery yet,.....but it is very important that you follow the directions on Acid filling and charging rates!.......it will determine how long the new one lasts and how strong it will be.

edit,....this is IF you buy the battery and fill/charge yourself.........some dealers will do it for you.but I prefer to do it myself since I have all the tools and such............a low amperage charger and a Voltmeter

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought the China made one and they filled it for me. Was about half the price and has a year warranty. Eh. Thats all I need.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I bought the China made one and they filled it for me. Was about half the price and has a year warranty. Eh. Thats all I need.
They filled it but you still want to give it a nice slow charge unless they did that for you too.

Adding the electrolyte brings the battery up to about 85%, then you want to slow charge it before using it.
That helps it last for as long as possible, as does a battery tender.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, so I dont need a new battery then? I can just get mine refilled? or do I still need a new one?

·
Registered
289 Posts
ok, so I dont need a new battery then? I can just get mine refilled? or do I still need a new one?
See your getting the guy al mixed up.

Go get a new one.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Yes you still want a new battery.

The point is that even if they fill it for you, that you should slow charge the battery not just fill it, put it in and go.

It will work if you fill it, put it in and go, but it will last longer and be a happier battery if you give it a good, slow charge after filling and before using it.

A good shop does this with new bikes when they PDI it and offers to do it when you buy a battery and install it yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts