Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a tune up a few weeks back installing a PCIII and speedo healer while in there. After doing the tune up and putting everything back together I noticed the FI light on and my speedo staying at 0. I went back in and inspected my work, but saw nothing unplugged or plugged into the wrong place. I've been back in there 6 times and still cant find what I did wrong. Yesterday I completely took out the PCIII which I didnt even put a Dyno Jet map in yet, unplugged the SH and tried again, but same thing FI light stays on and no speed reading. I do have an acumen PNP gear indicator which worked fine before the tune up and now is not working either. Any 1 with any ideas or suggestions of what I can check next.

I dont know if the online repair manual have a wiring diagram for me to check wiring but I will check tonite. Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thnx:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
ne 1 else have any suggestions??
when you just turn the ignition on(not started) does the LED on the SH light?...or did you check your settings on the speedohealer or remove it all together because if the wrong dip switch is in the on position that will make your Speedo Useless as well.

bloo

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
At first the SH did light up but no speedo, so I then unplugged the SH and reconnected the factory wires but still no speedo :dontknow:
Well the fact you seen power on the SpeedoHealer you can now use that as a troubleshooting tool. If you have your Speedohealer manual there is a way to put it in TEST mode and send a Fake signal(actually it's a real signal) simulating a high speed to the cluster and constant to prove your Cluster is working fine if it receives a signal. If you don't have time to learn that I would take off and re-connect(after checking pins and condition) the connector from the back of the instrument cluster and check the connector down below by the engine as well and make sure everything has contact. If that doesn't work do the test and depending on results you may have a bad speed sensor but I doubt it at this point.

If you have a multimeter checking the pin-outs from speed sensor all the way to the cluster as that would be the other thing to do as well after a visual.

bloo

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aite.........i will take the time to read the instructions for the SH and try that test....I also have a multimeter and will use the repair manual and see if it gives voltage readings at the pins so I can check them.......

thx bloo

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
aite.........i will take the time to read the instructions for the SH and try that test....I also have a multimeter and will use the repair manual and see if it gives voltage readings at the pins so I can check them.......

thx bloo

No problem, the only voltage reading though you can check is the power for the speed sensor but most likely since you seen a light on the speedohealer that's ok. What you want to check is the other lines for CONTINUITY UP TO THE CLUSTER.

BLOO

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
ok..and am i checking cont from the ecu?? Or from some other starting point??
Ok I just realized that how in the hell could the ECU know if your Speed Sensor is bad if the cluster controls power unlike the 2nd Gen 10rs. I had to look at the FULL Schematic and the only thing I came up with so far it really ONLY knows if that connector down low(the white 3 prong connector) is disconnected meaning NO continuity on the BLUE/YELLOW STRIPE WIRE-BL/Y. That signal hits one other 16 pin connector and then strait to the ECU....my guess and it's only a guess (kawi does not release the internal happenings of the ECU) is it's sees an OPEN on that line and reports a Speed Sensor fault. I don't see anyway it cares about the other lines as to many other circuits uses the other lines.

You can prove that by doing a code retrieval and should come up with Code 24. I can disconnect my speed sensor by just hitting a switch with my special setup to prove that as well.

So with the Multimeter go to the connector down low by the engine and you should get continuity between the bl/y wire all the way to Pin 16 of the ECU page 3-18 of the OEM manual...also a short to ground will cause a fault so make sure it's not shorted to ground as well.

I do need to see what main wiring harness is in between the first connector and second connector but other than that a great place to start as well.:wink:

bloo

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool thx for the thorough explanation I will check it out after wrk 2day...now I noticed that my SH is not wrking when reconnected. Check guage harness and found some corrosion and cleaned it up...the 3 pin connector I had the SH hooked up 2 was black tho..left side faring between mid/lower fairing , but will do the check u said and see what I get...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.