Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Help!!! 04 10r cranks but not starting

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mykids 
#1 ·
let me start with saying and i know it sucks this bike has sat for about a year and a half while i was deployed. i got back and found the battery stone dead and will not accept a charge. so i got a new one. now the bike cranks instantly but will not fire up. this has been garaged inside for that whole time also. where it was stored gets pretty warm since im in florida but still it was inside and we of course dont get that cold for it to freeze..

so far what ive done:

drain the tank and refill, no go. check all fuses. no go. pulled gas tank the line going to the motor from the fuel pump had gas in it and gas was coming out from the fuel pump. now the other line to the tank was dry as far as i could tell. and the main fuel line while it had gas it didnt pour out of it but my hand and the other stuff got a bit wet in there.

i know spark plugs are a pain in the neck on this thing so i didnt want to touch those yet unless i had to. the bike was bought from someone with only (yes im serious) 16 miles on it. they went down hard on their r1 and the wife took the bikes away since he was in the hospitol for a long time. the bike had been started once a week and just up and down the street since he had it and then i got it from him at a hell of a deal i could not pass on and it did fire right up and run fine when i got it.

only mods are a full titanium muzzy system, pc3, and other misc that would not affect the starting of the bike at least.

since it sat for that long with no power could the pc3 be to blame maybe lost its programing or something? the dealer checked it all before i left and said plugs and all were good and they did a oil change and additive to the tank and ran it back to the house (only a mile or so from the shop).

im sooooooooo short on cash right now and i really cant afford to turn it over to the dealer for a whole lot of $$ to diagnose so im so hoping someone here can help me out.

let me know if there are questions i can answer if that makes it easier. and thank you in advance!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Does it have spark??? Try spraying starter fluid into the air intake and crank it. If you have spark, it will run for a couple seconds.
2. If it has spark, then you have no fuel going into the engine. Is the fuel pump working?
3. Are the fuel line clean? Fuel will turn into a varnish like substance when left in lines for a long time.

#4 ·
I had the same problem found out it was the junction box with the fuel pump relay in it.The way you find out if it's getting power to the fuel pump use a test light to check the white wire with the red stripe going to the fuel pump connector from the junction box.hope this helps.Some times when a bike sits without power the relay will stick.

#5 · (Edited)
not sure about the spark plugs themselves was hoping that was a last resort since its suck a pain in the neck ill try the starter fluid though and see

i pulled the main fuel line off the fuel pump and there was abit of gas in there but not a whole lot just enough to went my fingers. i left the line off and put a rag over the outlet on the fuel pump and tried starting it.. nothing came out onto the rag at all. does this mean the pump is bad??

i also checked all plugs and the above mentioned relay all seem fine the relay is working right.

i disconnected the pc3 same thing cranks but no start

i have not tried putting started fluid in there yet since it was getting to dark and i just was tired for the night.

all connectors are good and tight though. fual pump has power and ground to it.

but if nothing comes out of the tank when you first try to start it with a near full tank would that assume the pump is bad??

thanks to everyone for the help..

#7 ·
not that i can hear hard to say i do hear everything to me that sounded normal during start though...

i just went a sprayed some gas down the intake tube with a little air hose and a spray bottle and she cranked right over and started. but as said stalled in a few seconds.

fuel pump does have power right at the pump itself.. am i right in guessing bad fuel pump??

funny thing is the bike always at times ran really rough i wonder if the pump had issues all along

#8 · (Edited)
and arghhhh i just noticed a nice scratch right at the front very bottom corner of my tank.. i have no idea how it got there i was so freaking careful.. its right where the tank seem is at the bottom by the frame.. almost like the paint was really thin on the very edge and didnt maybe get covered all the way around.. and i just used a glaze and was on the tank not sure if i burned through just by hand.. i really didnt rub very hard... that sucks

#9 ·
The Pump could still be fine just not getting power to it from the juction box.the yellow wire with the red stripe coming from the pump to the connector turns into a white wire with a red stripe after the connector check it with a volt meter.My 10 did the same thing power going into the junction box but not coming back out to the fuel pump.I did the test the service manual said disconnect the juction box from the wiring harness run a wire from the + on the battery to number 7 then run a wire from the -on the battery then take an omem meter and check 12 and 14 should omem if relay is good(yeah right i did that it omemed out right saying it was good,so i didn't think that was the problem but it was.i replaced the junction box and the bike fired right up.But spray some ether in there to see if it starts if not it could be your vehicle down sensor or some call it your tip sensor.hope this helps.

#10 · (Edited)
poured a bit of gas in the intake tube and she fires right up (used a spray bottle and a piece of very small runner hose to go through the vents and down a bit to not get gas all over the place.. .. i can feel the relay clicking going to the fuel pump.. but of course stalls in seconds

where exactly is the junction box? i can see the plug on the side with the white/red and it has power i tested it with a meter...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.