Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I have washed it. It's a Shoei RF1100 and the entire liner comes out for cleaning. More than once with non dye and non perfumed laundry detergent I have hand washed in a large bucket thoroughly washing, rinsing and air drying the damn thing. Only 2 years old, nearly. What product do you guys recommend that has worked for you in removing odors? I don't wanna spray febreeze in it. I'll buy new liners for it and that is what I may end up doing. This summers heat wave may have ruined my awesome helmet I'm afraid. It reeks!:lol:

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
According to Shoei's web site, all new helmet interior is $75 plus shipping for the RF1100. I may just do this and also purchase new cheek pad for my old RF1000.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed thee steps/rules that Shoei recommends and always have EXCEPT I screwed up and dried the liners in direct sunlight. Says that can cause odor bacteria to develop. Though, my helmet simply smells of sweat funk but I'll give it one more cleaning/wash before caving and buying new liners and cheek pads. I need new shield for my rf1100 and rf1000 and the rf1000 needs new cheek pads to tighten the fit up. Some thicker ones(39mm opposed to 35mm).
Here's Shoei's cleaning and maintenace guidelines.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Maintenance.aspx

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Try loosely balling up some sheets of newspaper and stuffing the inside of the helmet overnight with it. That should take some of the stank out of the helmet. You said no Fabreeze, but a misting of it in there won't hurt anything as long as you let it dry. Don't saturate it.

Nothing will be as good as a new liner though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As far as making it smell good im at a loss due to your failed attempts, only advice i can offer is once you do get a new liner, wear a head sock from there on out...ive had my GP Tech for 2 years and use it every day and the inside still looks new. And ive sweated like a whore in church in it

·
Registered
249 Posts
could try storing them with a little container of baking soda inside to suck out the moisture and odors if you get new liners....idea is to eliminate the odors..not cover them up.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
good advice on the newspaper,etc. i like to use johnsons baby shampoo, nice clean fresh smell. but a new liner is nice too, after it gets broken in again.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Try adding a small amout od Orange Pinesol to your soapy water.
Cleans and deodorizes.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Can't help you with the current issue, but maybe wear a dew rag in the future? Even when racing and sweating a ton, my helmets never pick up a smell.

Maybe also try oxy clean or whatever that is called?

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Had my helmet for 4yrs an it doesn't stink or smell bad at all. :dontknow: But then again I'm not a heavy sweater either.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm gonna combine some of the suggestions and give it one more cleaning try. Liner still LOOKS new but I am a heavy sweater and after this summer's heat waves, man it stinks. Doesn't help I wear a NON mesh jacket that is heavy but the protection it gives I just can't ride with anything less protective. I have been thinking about a perforated leather armored jacket but my tourmaster cortex armored 3/4 is really one nice jacket with CE armor and lots of pockets. I know the jacket triples my sweating but no rash is worth it to me

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
try using some original gain, shit smells amazing! then put it in the dryer, it wont let the pads get that sweaty bums nutsack smell in em...idk abt u but i love when my stuff smells like a cool mountain breeze!!! I MUST KNOW WHERE THIS MOUNTAIN IS WITH THIS HEAVENLY BREEZE!!!

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
I have been thinking about a perforated leather armored jacket but my tourmaster cortex armored 3/4 is really one nice jacket with CE armor and lots of pockets.
Shop around and try some on. We wear the perforated leather here and it is quite hot here most of the year :mrgreen: You will not be disappointed with protection it offers although it may be slightly heavier. They breather better than you might think (if you are moving). I still maintain that being parked at a red light, in the summer, would suck just as bad naked. [but I am not going to do the research]

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
I put a "Bounce" air freshener sheet in my helmet when I put it away after riding, then put your bag over your helmet, when you are not using it, you will be amazing how it works when you go to get it for a ride.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts