Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My helmet seems to want to get sucked off my head at anything over a 100. It's a Shoei that is about ten years old. Was top of the line when I got it but it's way old now. But I like it and it looks good to me. Will a new riding jacket w/ a hump on th eback help this problem or am I just stuck with needing a new lid? Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
man, will that thing even work if put up to the test?:badteeth: go try on a scorpion, best bang for the buck, imo.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
If it feels like it's lifting off your head, do you have the chin strap tight? Is it too large a size for your head? Is the padding and interior still tight? IMO, I would NEVER trust a helmet that old. Time for a new one regardless of how it looks.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Time to get a new helmet, the technology has improved 10 fold over the years but the prices have stayed pretty reasonable. Icon has some pretty nice helmets, personally I'm gonna get a Mainframe over the winter and have some airbrush work done to personalize it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Tiem for a new one, and I would personally stay away from Scorpion. They had a huge saftey recal this year on thier lids.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
My helmet is only 10 months old and the only time it feels like it is getting sucked off is when I'm in a full tuck at 100+ on the highway.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
blackmagic said:
My helmet seems to want to get sucked off my head at anything over a 100. It's a Shoei that is about ten years old. Was top of the line when I got it but it's way old now. But I like it and it looks good to me. Will a new riding jacket w/ a hump on the back help this problem or am I just stuck with needing a new lid? Thanks, Jason
a new lid that fits properly is the answer not a jacket.

BD

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spacecoast 10R said:
My helmet is only 10 months old and the only time it feels like it is getting sucked off is when I'm in a full tuck at 100+ on the highway.
That is exactly my problem....except that mine is ten years old and yours in ten months old. What model is it? And for everyone else, do you guys ever have this problem and what model helmet do you guys have?
And now for a discusion..... Why do I need to replace my helmet? What is a helmet? Fiberglass (outer shell), Styrofoam (inner shell), Padding, a chin strap, and visor. The helmet has never been in an accident, dropped, punctured.... Styrofoam does not break down (ask any enviro-nazi), the padding is still tight, the chin strap is not frayed at all. Why does it need to be replaced? Looking forward to some technical discusion. Jason

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The fiberglass or carbon fiber or whatever the shell is comprised of does in fact weaken over time and although its intact and visably fine its what lies underneath that is important, materials do break down.

If a helmet fits properly you should be able to sit up from a 150mph tuck and the helmet should not feel as though its getting sucked off, sure it'll lift and pull your head back due to the extreme speed but should not rise up as though it wants to come off.

BD

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
if you have been wearing a helmet for 10 years than unless you replaced the internals than it cant possibly still be tight...i.e. the feeling its about to fly off ya dome!

As for technical advance with helmets...
lighter, stronger materials.
advanced designs for aerodynamics.
improvements on shields/shield mounting.
improvements in ventilation.
improvements in noise reduction under the lid.

get a new one and put old faithful up on the mantle, she deserves it.
could you post up a pic of it, id like to see what it looks like!!

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
05ZixxR said:
...get a new one and put old faithful up on the mantle, she deserves it. could you post up a pic of it, id like to see what it looks like!!

Or if you're really attached to it, get a high-end frame shop to build a wall mounted display cabinet. :+1: on the pic.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
blackmagic said:
My helmet seems to want to get sucked off my head at anything over a 100. It's a Shoei that is about ten years old. Was top of the line when I got it but it's way old now. But I like it and it looks good to me. Will a new riding jacket w/ a hump on th eback help this problem or am I just stuck with needing a new lid? Thanks, Jason
Sounds like your helmet is a bit loose on your head mang. All the pads need to fit firmly (but comfortably) against your face. I'd get a new (better fitting) helmet if I were you....

D

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
recommended to get a new helmet at a min every 5yrs. plus all your padding is i am sure shot to hell

·
Registered
13 Posts
05Zixxer said:
Got any solid info? I've searched the NHTSA site and google and didnt find anything.
x2 I just got 2 new scorpions about a month ago did research found nothing wrong with them heard nothing but good.....My only issue is wind noise which really isnt bad but for comfort and safety i have heard they are on the top of the list and the price is definately nothing to cry about!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
As seen in my avitar, I updated just because of the snell and british standards. My old helmet would not pass tech inspection. The lining on the old one was not as firm as the new one, but was pretty comfy.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Dragone said:
As seen in my avitar, I updated just because of the snell and british standards. My old helmet would not pass tech inspection. The lining on the old one was not as firm as the new one, but was pretty comfy.
baaaa ya didn't have anything to worry about in there anyway. :smile:

BD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts