Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums and didnt find a post similar to this so....

Helmet noise, do the more 'high end' helmets really make a difference in wind noise in the helmet?? I am going deaf at 100mph with my POS helmet. Before I go and spend some $$ on a new one I need to know if I am wasting my $$ trying to find a helmet that will cut some of this noise out....

What am I looking for in a helmet so I know it is a good one...padding, tight shield, good vents???....Obviously you can spend a large amount of $$ on a helmet but thats just not in the cards for me right now......

What!! I cant hear you.. speak up ..... my ears are still ringing ... I was on the highway yesterday wearing my POS helmet'......:crackup:

Never forget where your ZX-10 started...

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
what helmet are you using?

& yes a better helmet will offer a much quieter experience. i went from a HJC to a Icon & its a whole different ballgame. I've heard great things about the Shoei helmets, one of those may be my next lid. they are usually lighter in weight as well.

·
Team Green Baby!
1,518 Posts
Check out the new Shoei Qwest helmet and the Arai RXQ helmet. They were designed for the street in mind. They are on the pricey side but well worth the money. I have an Arai Corsair V and I can't even compare it to my Joe Rocket RKT101 which is basically an HJC. Night and day difference. Check out ridersdiscount, they're a sponsor on this site. Only platinum sponsor too and for a reason...shoot him a PM and he'll give you a quote that no other website or dealer can match; trust me I shopped around. GL and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ridersdiscount has an awesome deal imo on the new Qwest Shinobi mentions. its quite tempting.

& yea going from a HJC (aka joe rocket) to an Arai.... holy cow i bet thats a huge huge huge difference.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Arai here. excellent compared to other brands...FIT is crucial!!! not just for sound, but safety.
The fit of the helmet will also enhane the sound supression, but i agree with sandbox, ear plugs along with a well fitting helmet.
Its worth the extra $$$$$$$$

·
Registered
550 Posts
Typically the high end “race helmets” i.e. Arai Corsair V, Shoei X-12, Suomy Extreme, Shark RSR2, AGV GP Tech, Bell Star etc that vent/flow a lot of air are loud when compared to less focused helmets. The less race focused helmets may be quieter however they may not flow as much air, weigh more, and might not offer the high end/removable interior. Buying a helmet is similar to buying tires there’s always a trade off for one thing over another.

Take a look at www.helmetharbor.com there are video reviews of different helmets that cover a wide variety of uses. You will probably get better prices from the site sponsors (which I recommend) the unique thing about Helmet Harbor is, Todd (the owner), gives his honest opinion on the video reviews and doesn’t like or recommend every helmet to everyone.

Also take a look at www.webbikeworld.com their reviews are pretty spot-on, I purchased an OGK FF-5 based on their reviews. Incidentally, the FF-5 is my favorite helmet and I have/ride with an Arai Corsair, Suomy Extreme, and Shark RSR2.

You can also check www.sportbiketrackgear.com they do video reviews on nearly their entire catalog, while informative, they seem to like/recommend everything they review. I suggest the sites for informational purposes, I recommend supporting out site sponsors.

·
Registered
245 Posts
couple of thoughts: I own several helmets and there is no such thing as THe Quiet Helmet.
The first thing is USE EARPLUGS. Second, for instance from the whole bunch, I considet the AGV GP TECH the most silent one, provided you do´t start opening the vents. If you do that then its hell!!!!!! Same thing applies to most of the helmets I believe. There are , however,some thing that you want to look into. Chin curtain, neck roll and screen side plates are certainly "noise factors" a helmet with chin curtain, neck roll and NO screen side plates is likely to make LESS noise than one that does not have, this is physics.
my 2cts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My current helmet is basically a no name brand I picked up for 70$. I like it because I wear glasses and it has the retractable 'F16' pilot type visor inside the shield. It is really nice to not have to carry around prescription sun glasses all the time. If its sunny I just pop the tinted inner visor down.

After being off a street bike for almost 20yrs I am almost a squid again. I didnt dive right back into the high end gear on purpose. I wasnt sure I was going to keep it but now I'm back in the saddle there is no way I will stop again. My ZX might be a tad on the older side but she still puts a smile on my face when I twist the throttle and isnt that what its all about :dontknow:

This site is excellent for support, you guys and gals are awsome!!

thankyou........

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a SHOEI RF1000 and a AGV TiTech 5 continents. The AGV is much quiet than the SHOEI, at least for me and my helmet fitting.

You have to find the helmet that better fits the shape of your head, and this could be the cheaper helmet, who knows.

But usin ear plugs is good advice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have a Scorpion EXO700 and LOVE it! i upgraded from a HJC, pretty sure upgraded is an understatement! Very quiet!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quietest helmet i have used is a Shark RSR2. Quieter than my Shoei. I never need earplugs on the street. But still need them on the track. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have a corsair V and its loud as hell and doesn't fit my shape head well. I don't like it compared to my scorpian lid. My next helmet will be shoei

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
No matter what helmet I wear for the day, if I am outside on the highway I ALWAYS put earplugs in. The wind noise will cause serious hearing loss.......
Yup, hearing loss is cumulative and irreversible. Unless you want to rely on hearing aids in the future, use good quality earplugs.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
My Arai Corsair is louder than any of the Shoeis I've ever owned. HJC was a loud POS. I love my old skool Nakano rep but I will more than likely go Shoei next time.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My AGV Stealth is the quietest one I have and really comfortable.

But I picked up the Bell Star so I could get the photochromatic shield...I like not having to change shields...:eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 24 Posts