Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I heard this segment on NPR today about this lobby group that goes from state to state to endorse that we drop the helmet law. Now, I feel that wearing a helmet is beyond a doubt will help save my life, while if I don't wear one it would be the leading cause of my death. Where do you all stand? Am I alone here? I know for a fact that my insurance is lower because of Michigan's helmet law. So I know for a fact that they will push my rates up if they would take away the law... Let's talk about this..

Chad

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
SC doesn't require a helmet for a 21 yr old licensed rider but does require eye protection. My rates are pretty good at 500 a year for FC. I personally will always wear one though. My 5 days in ICU fixed me of that.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
riding without a helemt is just plain stupid. I won't ride unless I have a full face helmet on. even if I cruise choppers. I got a helmet I can take a pic of when I layed it down in the canyon one time. no big deal but if I didnt have that helmet on I probbaly would look like :bd:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
While I think helmets laws are good and I would ALWAYS wear one I think it should be the persons choice to kill themselves if they want to although for Insurance reasons it would be better to have helmet laws in most cases I imagine.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Never rode with a helmet when I first started on bikes, but now it's like second nature like wearing your seat belt...yes we are brave when young but that doesn't mean it was the smart thing to do. :headshake:

·
Registered
595 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:
While I think helmets laws are good and I would ALWAYS wear one I think it should be the persons choice to kill themselves if they want to although for Insurance reasons it would be better to have helmet laws in most cases I imagine.
:+1:

I think the law should be appealed personally, except if you are under a certain age say 18 or 21. However there is no way in the world I would ride without one.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:

:+2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Put a disclaimer in the insurance policy and let natural selection take its course...

Tired of protecting idiots from themselves so they can make/raise idiot babies... The world is already infested with them...

·
Registered
657 Posts
i'm all for the no helmet law, although i would never even consider wearing a helmet. however, i believe any injuries or death occuring to the rider not wearing a helmet or his motorcycle shouldn't be covered by any insurance company. if you want the "thrill" and "freedom" of riding without a helmet you should also be ready to accept any and all liability because of it, not make other more responsible riders take the hit for your rebeliousness.

·
Banned
319 Posts
Here in Iowa there is no helmet law, wouldnt catch me not wearing mine ..i live right on the iowa/nebraska border last march went for a ride in Nebraska(helmet law there) and ended up in a ditch...helmet was scratched all to hell but my head was fine....:wink:

·
Currently Clueless
1,516 Posts
Larry Grogan said:
:+1:

I think the law should be appealed personally, except if you are under a certain age say 18 or 21. However there is no way in the world I would ride without one.
:+1::iamwithst

I've hit my head hard enough with a helmet on that it hurt, won't catch me without one.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sorry, I'm over the idea that people are entitled to do stupid things because we live in a free country.

I think wearing a helmet should be the law everywhere. In this day and age we clearly know it's unsafe to ride without one and it only burdens the system when a helmetless rider has an accident. :helmet:

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
Freedom of choice here.

I wear my helmet about 99% of the time. Occasionally in my sub-division where there isn't much traffic and the speed limit is 20 I'll cruise around with out it. It is a good idea to wear it as much as possible, iif not all the time.

Chris

·
Registered
675 Posts
F..... the helmet law. I'd like a choice. My choice would be to wear a helmet though. I do miss the old days of not being required to wear one on the streets.....What year was that that they changed it in Cali? 1987? 1988?

·
Registered
675 Posts
circusnuts said:
Sorry, I'm over the idea that people are entitled to do stupid things because we live in a free country.

I think wearing a helmet should be the law everywhere. In this day and age we clearly know it's unsafe to ride without one and it only burdens the system when a helmetless rider has an accident. :helmet:

How does a helmetless rider with insurance fit into your thought process there smart guy? Doesn't his insurance now carry the burden of their rider? Which system you talking about? :iamwithst

·
Man About Town
1,076 Posts
I feel naked without one. Though nowadays I feel naked without gear period.
I figure if you don't cover it they'll wind up bagging it.:dontknow:

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
circusnuts said:

:thumbsup: :+1:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Give me a choice!!

Natural Selection was mentioned earlier and it fits perfect IMO. What's next? All vehicles governed to 65 or 75? The roads are an inherently dangerous place and we all accept those risks. You can only diminish those risks so far before you start infringing on everyone's rights.

You ride without a helmet, you get what's coming to ya.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In SA as far as I can remember it's been with a helmit law.

I used to ride without one in the early 80's on a 50cc, but one grows wiser with age.

I've never understand how the US still have states without it.

Yes I know it's free will and all that, but sometimes it's the laws job to protect some against themselves.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
DarkAngel said:
How does a helmetless rider with insurance fit into your thought process there smart guy? Doesn't his insurance now carry the burden of their rider? Which system you talking about? :iamwithst
Resources. This "freedom" takes resources - air lift/chopper, ambulance and emergency room time just to name a few. And the stats show most of the helmetless riders don't have insurance let alone a motorcycle license.

Nope, I'd rather leave all of those services open for people who are not accidents waiting to happen, but true victims of circumstance.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts