Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
helmet intercom - Vertix Raptor-i reviewed

i just ordered the vertix raptor-i intercom system. i know its not very popular in the US, i literally cant find anything on the interwebs from users in the US, aside from WBW's review. i was looking at the sena smh5 otherwise. i want it mostly for listening to music. will let you guys know how it works, hopefully soon.

WBW review

*mods feel free to move this to the general forum*

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i ordered this bad boy on the 16th, friday night. I received it this morning, Tuesday the 20th. from Singapore.

out of the box
dual speakers with velcro backs and wired mic

main unit which attaches via velcro to a 3M sticky on the helmet

and its main functions.

pairing with my galaxy nexus smartphone was quick and easy.
setting up the components in my helmet was easy as well.

i just went out on a quick ride and tested out my main reason for purchasing, music. And i was not disappointed, the volume on this thing gets LOUD. i havent tested this unit with a phone call yet, but something tells me i wont be let down. Oh and did i mention this thing has FM radio?!

·
Registered
290 Posts
We bought 3 raptors at the dealer show in Indianapolis this year. Here is my review on the raptor.
Pros
-easy to use and not nearly as cluttered and other chatter boxes
-very easy to link up to 3 raptors
-has a 3/4 mile range
-easy to link blue tooth to blue tooth phone. As long as you have music on your phone you can listen to music through the speakers in stereo(pandora, I heart, mp3). Answer your phone calls and it's unbelievable how well you can hear them and how well they can hear you, thanks to the awesome noise cancelling mic.
-you can also make phone calls through the raptor
-very easy to install and very unobtrusive when installed on/in your lid
-only 4 buttons on this device where others would have up to 6 or more(more on this in the cons section)
-you can add a wireless thumb remote and operate the raptor with it
-2 way radios can be linked to get greater distance(up to a mile and a half or greater depending on radio)
-they have plans on adding radar detection to the raptor and voice navigation
I think that is all the pros, sure something has been left out
Cons
-the 4 buttons are also a hinder it. Double tap this button, hold this for 5 secs. etc etc. It can and does get confusing
-the speakers don't mount all that secure in the helmet and it is difficult to find that "sweet spot" to hear them clearly. The speakers had to be moved around after I put the helmet on.
-speaker input that connects to the raptor became loose and then quit working after 1 month
-my buddies no longer charges, it's dead.
-we had these for a total of 5 months, my died 1st and then his went. The other is still going strong. He was looking at being a dealer for these but, it's kinda hard to sell these when the track record is this bad.
All in all I have to say it's an incredible chatter box while it worked and I actually miss it and can't wait to get back. We had to ship them back and they paid for it. They are standing behind it and didn't ask any questions. Hell Greg White was at the booth checking them out(not sure if bought 1 or not). It was the best chatter box I saw at the dealer show and I bet I looked at least 30.
-

·
Registered
360 Posts
We bought 3 raptors at the dealer show in Indianapolis this year. Here is my review on the raptor.
Pros
-easy to use and not nearly as cluttered and other chatter boxes
-very easy to link up to 3 raptors
-has a 3/4 mile range
-easy to link blue tooth to blue tooth phone. As long as you have music on your phone you can listen to music through the speakers in stereo(pandora, I heart, mp3). Answer your phone calls and it's unbelievable how well you can hear them and how well they can hear you, thanks to the awesome noise cancelling mic.
-you can also make phone calls through the raptor
-very easy to install and very unobtrusive when installed on/in your lid
-only 4 buttons on this device where others would have up to 6 or more(more on this in the cons section)
-you can add a wireless thumb remote and operate the raptor with it
-2 way radios can be linked to get greater distance(up to a mile and a half or greater depending on radio)
-they have plans on adding radar detection to the raptor and voice navigation
I think that is all the pros, sure something has been left out
Cons
-the 4 buttons are also a hinder it. Double tap this button, hold this for 5 secs. etc etc. It can and does get confusing
-the speakers don't mount all that secure in the helmet and it is difficult to find that "sweet spot" to hear them clearly. The speakers had to be moved around after I put the helmet on.
-speaker input that connects to the raptor became loose and then quit working after 1 month
-my buddies no longer charges, it's dead.
-we had these for a total of 5 months, my died 1st and then his went. The other is still going strong. He was looking at being a dealer for these but, it's kinda hard to sell these when the track record is this bad.
All in all I have to say it's an incredible chatter box while it worked and I actually miss it and can't wait to get back. We had to ship them back and they paid for it. They are standing behind it and didn't ask any questions. Hell Greg White was at the booth checking them out(not sure if bought 1 or not). It was the best chatter box I saw at the dealer show and I bet I looked at least 30.
-
I have a scala G4, I think I could write the exact same review on it as you did above.. with the exception of neither unit has broke! both are about 1.5 years old and running strong.. mine survived a crash and got pretty scuffed up in the slide but it still works!

UPDATE! -look at sena smh10!
I upgraded to the G9, it has more features but there crap! the voice recognition basically doesn't work 1 in 5 times it gets what you want, most people say turn it off and just use the the buttons, On that note there are 6 of them, ranging from tap to hold on everyone one. Nothing user friendly about this guy! it works once you figure it out but If I had to do it over I would buy the SENA a few of my buddies have them and the single button simplifies things so much, it would be my choice if I had to do it over again. its' a lot loader too! good with ear plugs

·
Registered
951 Posts
Scale g9 here. Pretty good system

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Scala G9 is the best intercom system hands down. you can have multiple riders in 1 conversation without having to make "calls" to them. its like a big party line. works awesome. however for listening to music... i use the logitec HBS700. its a bluetooth headset. earbuds sre tiny as fck and feel great. loud. can talk on phone (while stopped or its windy) change songs with ease, mute or volume with ease. 50 bucks. too bad you already spent hundreds or i would have thrown a your welcome in there!

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Chatterbox X1 slim here. Love it. But I haven't had any experience with any other systems.

This one works good for me for what I need it to do; communicate with other riders and listen to music and get GPS updates.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My speakers suck on the g9 have been replaced under warranty and just went out again. Thinking about just replacing the speakers with a better pair.
Watch "HVRoN. Replacing your original Scala Rider Q2 spe…" on YouTube
HVRoN. Replacing your original Scala Rider Q2 spe…: http://youtu.be/JqZn_oCHVS4
Any one tried this?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vertix raptor is broke. the female plug on the unit got pushed inside of the unit. i pulled it out and glued it in place but i get no sound now. :angryfire:

·
Registered
330 Posts
vertix raptor is broke. the female plug on the unit got pushed inside of the unit. i pulled it out and glued it in place but i get no sound now. :angryfire:
That sucks. Did you contact them?

I have an Interphone F4. The original wired mic broke and I contacted them. They said to send back the mic. I did and they sent me a whole new unit with spare mics.
I replaced my mic and put the new unit in my wife's helmet.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I contacted Vertix and sent them a picture of the unit along with a shipping fee and they are sending me a new unit! way to keep your customers happy vertix!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got the sena smh10 works like a champ
+1 for SENA, it is awesome. Guys at work have SMH10 and SMH20. Some friends have them too. No complaints from any of them.
We SOMETIMES experience dropped connections from SMH10 to SMH20 with 2 SMH10s connected and 2 SMH20s for a total of 4way conversation.

Otherwise my SMH10s have never disconnected.
They go out of range of course, but automatically reconnect when back in range which is very nice.

·
Registered
kawasaki KX450F
1 Posts
The Sena SMH10D-10 Headset is the best choice. The range it offers might not be the most impressive, but it compensates for that with the audio quality. The noise cancellation on this thing is just the best. You get everything the other guy is saying from the other end, even in riding at high speed with all the wind and cry of traffic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the sena 10s (technically, I still have it, but it cannot start a new intercomm). For a ~250 msrp two years ago, the quality was abysmal.

The Sena group intercom stopped working within the first week.

After a month, I could not close connections without restarting the device.

I tried fixing it, but it was getting worse by the month. Its now about two years old, and it has troubles charging. I cannot add new devices or start an intercom with a known device.

My friends with cheap china knockoffs have their device still running.

I won't buy another sena.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts