Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...how many helmets do you currently own/use? I have 14 and am about to buy another one that caught my eye. My brother says I'm a "helmet hoarder", I say "You can never have too many helmets". Maybe I'm just experiencing "old age dementia". Do I have any fellow helmet hoarders out there??

Thanks.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
I think TMY is at around 20...? You make me feel really good about having only four though! Lol. There like shoes to a woman. :thumbsup: There some out there Id really love to have too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I own 5 or 6, but only use 1. I wear the same helmet for 2 years then get a new one religiously.

They say a helmet should only be worn for 2 years max. And once its dropped, to get a new one

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've read several articles on how long a helmet should be worn. I've read up to 5 years (unless dropped). The "life span" estimates seem to be based upon daily use/abuse. Mine stay in air conditioning and not exposed to the elements. I never leave my helmet on the bike when I go somewhere...exposing it to heat and sunlight. I rotate them and they always feel new and barely broken in. I would think heat and humidity are a helmet's worst enemy :dontknow:.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Yeah, I've read several articles on how long a helmet should be worn. I've read up to 5 years (unless dropped). The "life span" estimates seem to be based upon daily use/abuse. Mine stay in air conditioning and not exposed to the elements. I never leave my helmet on the bike when I go somewhere...exposing it to heat and sunlight. I rotate them and they always feel new and barely broken in. I would think heat and humidity are a helmet's worst enemy :dontknow:.
Two things that I know kill a helmet.

1. leaving it on your tank. Gas fumes from the tank will shrink the expanded polystyrine that makes up a significant portion of your helmets protection.

2. putting the helmet on and taking it off. The shell is flexed a little each time the helmet is put on or taken off. As the shell is flexed, it delaminates a little. Delamination is part of the protection the helmet performes upon impact. if you "pre delam" the shell, there is less to delam upon impact.

5 years is a good number, plus new tech is always entering the market.

least that's a good excuse to use on the "significant" other to get a new X-12

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have 7 at the moment, excluding the two my daughter has and three my has, However two of mine are for the dirt bike and not street helmets.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, my will power sucks. Just ordered a Shoei X-12 that'll match my BMW S1000RR. Price of $646 was just too good to pass up.:lol:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I think TMY is at around 20...? You make me feel really good about having only four though! Lol. There like shoes to a woman. :thumbsup: There some out there Id really love to have too.
Yup, up to 28 nice ones now and have maybe another 12 upstairs as spares and for sales. Of course they're all for sale if the price is right BUT I am very attached to some of my lids. I've been hoarding......I mean collecting them for quite a few years now. I just thank god that the wife is very understanding and hadn't freaked out on me yet for it but then again, she's got almost as many coach,DB,and LV purses/handbags setting in her side of the closet so it helps keep the peace. It's just an addiction to me for some reason? I never had a real nice helmet when I was younger so I'm trying to make up for it now I guess?

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
For the two "severly diseased" in this thread (you know who you are :badteeth:) how about a pic of the entire collection assemble together?

·
11,423 Posts
For the two "severly diseased" in this thread (you know who you are :badteeth:) how about a pic of the entire collection assemble together?
I'll see what i can do and try and get one up tonight when i get home from some tattoo work. been thinking about getting a few new pics of the collection anyway.:mrgreen:

·
11,423 Posts
^^^ getting finished up on a family crest/coat of arms on the ol' fore arm. as soon as we finished up with some detail work i'll share with the group.:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts