Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 04’ zx10r with 15,500k miles. Slip on, and don’t know yet it has a filter. Seems stock. Test rode fine, etc. This was in a small town, and the bike needed gas ⛽ I went and filled it up and noticed a lot of weird sputtering at low rpm in 1st @18mph it will start sputtering then go away, and when cruising at 45mph in 2nd or even 1st, the motor will sound dif and obviously start acting like it can’t breathe then if I crack it open it sputters then bam ? opens up and stays pulling hard. Q1: Could it be the crappy gas ⛽ from the small town ? Q:2 Is it because it’s sat for a while? The guy said it’s been 6-8months since he’s ridding it? The battery was dead and we had to charge it prior to test ride. There was absolutely no sputtering when I test rode it with the gas ⛽ light on. I’ve been reading and reading ? on here, and I’ve seen the kickstand switch, TPS, plugs, filter, exhaust servo (I cut the wires).. what about a nice bottle of Seafoam? It just seems like it’s the gas. It DID NOT DO THIS ON THE TEST RIDE. HELP PLEASE, I DONT WANT TO TAKE IT IN TO DEALER

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
There could be some residue in the gas tank. Somebody else with more experience than me could probably help you more with that, but I would buy some gumout/seafoam stuff and also fill it up with brand new gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There could be some residue in the gas tank. Somebody else with more experience than me could probably help you more with that, but I would buy some gumout/seafoam stuff and also fill it up with brand new gas.
That's what I'm thinking, and thanks for the fast reply!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome by the way ! And keep us updated if the trouble keeps coming back.
Is there a Power Commander or was the bike flashed ? If it's the case, it could also be a fucked up fuel map.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome by the way ! And keep us updated if the troube keeps coming back. Is there a Power Commander or was the bike flashed ? If it's the case, it could also be a fucked up fuel map.
No PC3. This is what leads me to the tank of gas, it was in Payne, Ohio at a little towns gas station, and I used there 91... which I'm sure nobody uses in that town lol. Getting some Sea-foam tonight after work... also I know this doesn't pertain, but I did a fresh Mobile 1 4T 10w-40 oil and filter. Oil that came out was so milky, the guy said it's been over a year since last change. Which led him to saying it's sat for a very long time...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issue fixed !!! 4hrs of Hell ? changing the spark plugs !!! Like a brand new bike now !!!!! It does have a K&N filter, I wish it had a BMC, being I’ve heard bad things about the K&N. I did clean it/vacuum it off and inside the ram air holes. ??? I hate to say it but I fell as if the bike pulls harder than my 08’ R1 with full titanium Akra. Pulls wheel up at 73 in 1st, if I’m not leaning forward enough. Scared the shit out of me lol. The bike is definitely light af. Feels like a 600cc with 1000cc power. Going to be getting a PC5 or 3 whichever is best for it, I haven’t even looked. It’s my bday tomorrow and it’s going to be 70F here in Indiana. Can’t wait to crack that throttle ?? ??️???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts