Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm rebuilding a 2018 ZX10RR race bike, it was crashed by the previous owner during a race last year & the bike is basically toast. I was planning to build a 1000cc race bike from scratch & this is an opportunity I just couldn't pass up as the previous owner calculated the cost of fixing the bike to sell it & it far exceeds the value of the bike in the used market so we agreed upon the price of the bike as it is.

The deal was he gets to keep whatever race parts are still usable which will be transferred to the new race bike I'm building for him (2019 ZX10RR) & whatever is left goes to me. This bike had the following.

KRT kit ECU
KRT kit harness
BST CF wheels
Superbike radiator
DB Holders subframe
Motoholders front stay
Sprint P08 airfilter
Arrow full exhaust system
DID ERV3 chain
15/39 PBR sprockets
Brembo Supersport disks
Spiegler brake lines
Galespeed VRE MC
AIM dash
Cordona QS
K-Tech 100N rear shock spring

This is what it looked like after the crash.

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Not very much to look at now but after I'm done with it it'll look like new again. The bike is in pieces right now & the forks, engine, swingarm are fine but the frame was damaged by the frame sliders when it bent too much taking a chunk off the front engine mount.

I already have some parts on hand to start building the bike up but I want to get into the engine first & do a top overhaul. I'll port the head, skim it for more compression, install a thinner head gasket & degree the stock cams. I'm working on a small budget here so let's see how far I can take this bike. Wish me luck guys because I need it.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi there. I'm rebuilding a 2018 ZX10RR race bike, it was crashed by the previous owner during a race last year & the bike is basically toast. I was planning to build a 1000cc race bike from scratch & this is an opportunity I just couldn't pass up as the previous owner calculated the cost of fixing the bike to sell it & it far exceeds the value of the bike in the used market so we agreed upon the price of the bike as it is.

The deal was he gets to keep whatever race parts are still usable which will be transferred to the new race bike I'm building for him (2019 ZX10RR) & whatever is left goes to me. This bike had the following.

KRT kit ECU
KRT kit harness
BST CF wheels
Superbike radiator
DB Holders subframe
Motoholders front stay
Sprint P08 airfilter
Arrow full exhaust system
DID ERV3 chain
15/39 PBR sprockets
Brembo Supersport disks
Spiegler brake lines
Galespeed VRE MC
AIM dash
Cordona QS
K-Tech 100N rear shock spring

This is what it looked like after the crash.

View attachment 450074

Not very much to look at now but after I'm done with it it'll look like new again. The bike is in pieces right now & the forks, engine, swingarm are fine but the frame was damaged by the frame sliders when it bent too much taking a chunk off the front engine mount.

I already have some parts on hand to start building the bike up but I want to get into the engine first & do a top overhaul. I'll port the head, skim it for more compression, install a thinner head gasket & degree the stock cams. I'm working on a small budget here so let's see how far I can take this bike. Wish me luck guys because I need it.
i would not skim the head for more compression, it has 13-1 now and valve clearances are tight.. degreeing the stock cams wont give you much either.. the way the bike looks i would make sure the crank n rods are not bent damaged case too.. cant believe forks are straight. that thing is a mess.. id start w another bike good luck..

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, just started putting it back together.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Art

Did some mods to the engine while it's out (milling, thinner head gasket, epoxy porting, cam timing, cam chain tensioner). Followed the kit manual for timing, valve clearance & PTV. Bought a new frame & installed the KRT kit inserts on the steering head, cleaned & painted the swingarm, greased up the swingarm pivot bearings & link bearings.

Waiting for KRT kit fork springs (10.25) & a K-Tech shock spring (95), found a used Arrow full exhaust system with SS headers & Ti midpipe & muffler, will weld on some bungs to the individual pipes so I can tune the cylinders individually.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
This is a pretty amazing build and I'm quite impressed. Please keep us posted with regular updates. I would love to the epoxy porting work in particular. You added material to enhance airflow somehow?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a pretty amazing build and I'm quite impressed. Please keep us posted with regular updates. I would love to the epoxy porting work in particular. You added material to enhance airflow somehow?
There's a step in the intake ports just before the valve seat throat area so I added material there to straighten out the port as much as possible to enhance top end power.

Going to use the 2019-20 KRT kit ECU with the 2.0 software & weld bungs on each tube on the Arrow Competition full exhaust, do the velocity stack mod (4 short), airbox mod to try & increase power potential. Goal is to hit or exceed 200hp rear wheel, thinking about getting KRT kit cams as someone is offering me a used set for very cheap ($250).

Back in 2016 I was a chief race technician for a local superbike team that ran ZX10R's & I managed to get 195hp & 79lb/ft from a 2016 ZX10R with Arrow Competition full exhaust, Jetprime velocity stacks, KRT kit ECU with 1.0 software & Sprint P08-F1-85 airfilter, engine was untouched.

In the future I plan to build a radical engine set-up using the newer 2019-20 ZX10R/RR finger follower head, titanium rods, aftermarket forged pistons, lightened & balanced crankshaft. Fir now I just want to get this up & running so I can put it on the dyno & start tuning.

White Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Gas Personal protective equipment Wood Machine Auto part

Fabricated a set of steering head insert locating guides to install the kit steering head inserts, now the lower triple clamp is installed along with new bearings & races. Installed the new swingarm spools & fitted the Arrow SS headers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts