Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to you all.

I will soon be looking to buy a ZX-10R and have a few questions:

1. bearing in mind that I have an extensive riding history, and that I currently ride a 7R......which do you think would be a better buy - a Gen 2 or a Gen 3?

2. what are the things to look for on a late Gen 2? Beyond the usual wear and tear.

3. what are the things to look for on an early Gen 3? Again, beyond the usual wear and tear.

Purely on reading hereabouts it appears that the Gen 3 is a step forward, is lighter (a boon compared to the 200+ Kg 7R), has a bit more power and may fit my ageing limbs a bit better too. I cannot stretch to a Gen 4 or newer machine and the ones I have been looking at vary from 21,000 miles to 30-odd thousand showing + have extensive dealer service histories.

The 10R will mainly get used on UK twisty/bumpy back roads with the odd 80 mile round trip commute (mix of A roads and Motorways) thrown in for good measure.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
D7orE8?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Welcome to the family in advance. To be honest what your intended use just buy what you fall for a G3 does have the edge on a G2 but i think you will know when you see it, only thing i recommend to you is it has to be Green :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your prompt reply, michael4012.
Greener ones are quicker, understood. Quite like the yellow D7 but there are may more green E8s

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Honestly though there is a lot too take in, you may find a G2 with better and more mods than a G3 and vise versa, stock for stock just on the spec sheet its a G3 all the way. Where are you in the country?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,366 Posts
I went from a '00 ZX-7R to a Gen 2 ZX-10R and the difference was night and day amazing! I moved onto a Gen 3 after that and honestly thought the Gen 2 was the better bike. Not in terms of outright performance, but more in terms of being comfortable riding on it and I just gelled with it more than the G3. The G2 had some issues and after a few tweaks, just had the edge up on the G3. The G2 needs a front brake caliper upgrade to the ZX-14/ZX-6R Nissins to make it worthy, but that's a cheap and easy fix. It was more unique with the undertail exhaust that I loved with the Akra carbon pipes out the back. Other than that, they seem to be known for the cracked valve retainers as the biggest problem. That's the worst of it. The G3 has it's place in history. Side-by-side if given the choice between the 2 of them, I'd sway towards the G2 knowing what I do about them. That really doesn't matter for me since I have a G5 now. ;):ROFLMAO: Both of them are great bikes and if you find what you like at the price you want, it won't matter which one you go with as long as you choose the green one. :alien::p:LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
71 Posts
@D7orE8 I've owned both a gen2 and currently a gen4. First, a gen4 with 30k miles is no big deal. At worst, you would have to do a valve check/adjustment. Most likely, you will have to do that with a gen2 or 3 as well. It's recommended to check the valves at around 15k miles. I have ridden a gen3 a couple times.

Of the three, the gen4 is by far the best. Most power, best handling. All three have shitty brakes out of the box. A brembo 19 rcs, nissin monoblocks from a zx6r, stainless lines and vesrah brakes pads will take care of this. So right off the bat, figure an additional $600 on brakes, $1000 for the valves (or basically free if you can do it yourself). You will almost certainly need fork seals on any of these bikes at this point. I would try a seal mate - it may get you a couple thousand more miles on the current seals. Again, less than $100 in parts and tools if you can do it yourself. Around $400 at a shop. Chances are, you will also need tires, so figure around $500 for the best - Pirelli Supercorsa, or around $350 for Dunlop Q3s, which are also pretty good. Also, an oil chance with motul 300v - about $80.

It's important to factor in what it's going to take to make the bike safe and reliable. For Gen2-4:
Brakes - $600 (parts)
Valves - $50 parts, $1000 labor
Fork seals - $100 parts and driver, $300 labor
Tires - $300-$550
Oil - $100

As far as gen2 compared to gen4. Gen2 felt more like sitting on the bike, gen4 sitting in the bike. Gen4 better shocks by a lot. Gen2 felt a little lighter, even though it weighs about the same. Gen4 easier turn in, gen2 a little more stable through the turn. Both had terrible brakes out of the box. Both could stand -1/+1 on the gearing, but the power of the gen4 overcomes the too tall gearing a little better. Gen2 is a wheelie machine, gen4 is less so, even with electronics turned off. Power-wise, a tuned/flashed gen4 with a link pipe and slip on is a beast. Gen2 may have a little better midrange stock.

Gen3 was ok, maybe I would like it more with more time on it. A good, solid bike, but just didn't impress me like the gen2 or 4. I would take another gen2 over a gen3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly though there is a lot too take in, you may find a G2 with better and more mods than a G3 and vise versa, stock for stock just on the spec sheet its a G3 all the way. Where are you in the country?
Thanks for your thoughts. I must admit that I prefer the looks of the Gen2.
South East.....Box hill is a nice jog away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went from a '00 ZX-7R to a Gen 2 ZX-10R and the difference was night and day amazing! I moved onto a Gen 3 after that and honestly thought the Gen 2 was the better bike. Not in terms of outright performance, but more in terms of being comfortable riding on it and I just gelled with it more than the G3. The G2 had some issues and after a few tweaks, just had the edge up on the G3. The G2 needs a front brake caliper upgrade to the ZX-14/ZX-6R Nissins to make it worthy, but that's a cheap and easy fix. It was more unique with the undertail exhaust that I loved with the Akra carbon pipes out the back. Other than that, they seem to be known for the cracked valve retainers as the biggest problem. That's the worst of it. The G3 has it's place in history. Side-by-side if given the choice between the 2 of them, I'd sway towards the G2 knowing what I do about them. That really doesn't matter for me since I have a G5 now. ;):ROFLMAO: Both of them are great bikes and if you find what you like at the price you want, it won't matter which one you go with as long as you choose the green one. :alien::p:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Thanks - of the 4/5 D6/7s I am looking at 1 has had the collets changed. I have heard that the front brakes aren’t that good.....2 strikes against the Gen 2, I think. I am a little concerned that, with age and increased mileage the collets could become an expensive time-bomb? I think I may consider post-25,000 mile service machines as (surely) the Kawasaki technicians must inspect the valve train at the ‘big’ valve clearance service, surely?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@D7orE8 I've owned both a gen2 and currently a gen4. First, a gen4 with 30k miles is no big deal. At worst, you would have to do a valve check/adjustment. Most likely, you will have to do that with a gen2 or 3 as well. It's recommended to check the valves at around 15k miles. I have ridden a gen3 a couple times.

Of the three, the gen4 is by far the best. Most power, best handling. All three have shitty brakes out of the box. A brembo 19 rcs, nissin monoblocks from a zx6r, stainless lines and vesrah brakes pads will take care of this. So right off the bat, figure an additional $600 on brakes, $1000 for the valves (or basically free if you can do it yourself). You will almost certainly need fork seals on any of these bikes at this point. I would try a seal mate - it may get you a couple thousand more miles on the current seals. Again, less than $100 in parts and tools if you can do it yourself. Around $400 at a shop. Chances are, you will also need tires, so figure around $500 for the best - Pirelli Supercorsa, or around $350 for Dunlop Q3s, which are also pretty good. Also, an oil chance with motul 300v - about $80.

It's important to factor in what it's going to take to make the bike safe and reliable. For Gen2-4:
Brakes - $600 (parts)
Valves - $50 parts, $1000 labor
Fork seals - $100 parts and driver, $300 labor
Tires - $300-$550
Oil - $100

As far as gen2 compared to gen4. Gen2 felt more like sitting on the bike, gen4 sitting in the bike. Gen4 better shocks by a lot. Gen2 felt a little lighter, even though it weighs about the same. Gen4 easier turn in, gen2 a little more stable through the turn. Both had terrible brakes out of the box. Both could stand -1/+1 on the gearing, but the power of the gen4 overcomes the too tall gearing a little better. Gen2 is a wheelie machine, gen4 is less so, even with electronics turned off. Power-wise, a tuned/flashed gen4 with a link pipe and slip on is a beast. Gen2 may have a little better midrange stock.

Gen3 was ok, maybe I would like it more with more time on it. A good, solid bike, but just didn't impress me like the gen2 or 4. I would take another gen2 over a gen3.
.....Very interesting and you raise a lot of good points relating to living with them, so: thanks.
I tend to do of most of my own work so am not phased by many jobs....having looked after a 7R for the last nearly 10 years other than layout and (relative) lack of room on newer machines I can’t see there being much that differs.
I note that you mention sitting on versus in the different machines......this is a large consideration, and one I hadn’t thought about until you mentioned it - the 7R I fell I am ‘on’ it and not ‘in‘ it, therefore I may take to the Gen2 better? Thanks for taking the time to reply!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all those that replied.

One more thing - I have heard that the collett issue was rectified on the D7 model.....is this true???
If that is the case then I may just resort to tossing a coin....no.....maybe not.....the D7 looks better than the E8 yes?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

One more thing - I have heard that the collett issue was rectified on the D7 model.....is this true???
If that is the case then I may just resort to tossing a coin....no.....maybe not.....the D7 looks better than the E8 yes?
LOL decisions decisions just go looking at emm mate, whether its a G2 or 3 wont matter when you see the one, what ever you buy you'll throw some money at it anyhow, its bikers nature, but until you start sitting on em your not going to know if your on it or in it, some have after market sets, clip ons maybe even risers, some have modded brakes others have uprated suspension, the list goes on those pipes on G2 used to piss me off and look sooo so like well just crap really that's why folks convert the G3 system ono the them. It really is all six of one half dozen of the other. I like Box hill but i haven't been for a few years since i was in Walton On Thames. I live in Bristol now but get out your way often.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a little research and (a lot of) help from all here.....I am definitely leaning towards the G3 and having had a reasonable offer for the 7R I think the proper hunting will begin at the end of the month.....watch this space.
Thanks to all again.
D7orE8

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

No it wasn’t- it was corrected on the E8....or so I gather.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
353 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! If I was you id wait and save a bit more and get at least a Gen4. Its all around better and its (IMO) a modern bike, unlike gen3 and older.

For my first 10R I did that exactly, was looking for a gen3 and ended up finding a gen4 in my price range ! good luck !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to the forum ! If I was you id wait and save a bit more and get at least a Gen4. Its all around better and its (IMO) a modern bike, unlike gen3 and older.

For my first 10R I did that exactly, was looking for a gen3 and ended up finding a gen4 in my price range ! good luck !
Sound advice - money and time are against me getting a G4 though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sound advice - money and time are against me getting a G4 though.
A gen4 is 6-10 years old at this point. The majority of what I said about a g2 or g3 will apply to a g4 as well. You still have shitty brakes, will probably need a timing check, tires, chain, and a bunch of other small things that all add up. So I would say get the g2, throw in the $1000 or so you need to make it road worthy, and enjoy a great bike.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
353 Posts
A gen4 is 6-10 years old at this point. The majority of what I said about a g2 or g3 will apply to a g4 as well. You still have shitty brakes, will probably need a timing check, tires, chain, and a bunch of other small things that all add up. So I would say get the g2, throw in the $1000 or so you need to make it road worthy, and enjoy a great bike.
Gen4 brakes are very good, nothing shitty about them. Yes, gen5 are better, but its a "very good" to "very very good" upgrade.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gen4 brakes are very good, nothing shitty about them. Yes, gen5 are better, but its a "very good" to "very very good" upgrade.
Compared to my current setup, even a brand new v4r and m1000rr aren't all that great. Adding the final components in the next week - 330mm rotors off a gen5.

So my brake setup will 19rcs mc, braided lines. Zx6r nissin monoblocks, vesrah srjl17 pads, and 330mm rotors.

I also have a ducati 1299, and the brakes on that are good, but not as good as my setup. I don't think the M50 calipers are anything special, nissin monoblocks are equal, of not better. Just don't have that brembo bling factor.

Trust me, compared to my bike, a 1299, or gen5, the stock brakes on a gen4 are terrible. No better than a gen2 stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts