Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just purchased a brand new 2018 ZX10R from a dealer. I am joining the forum to learn about this bike and get to know you all. I have been riding for a long time and this is my 4th 1000cc bike. I have had Honda CBR1000RR before. I traded 2012 CBR1K for this one. Hope to gain knowledge from you all. Why Kawi. The price was right ;-)

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Welcome to team green....and why kawi? It's more like why not....these bikes are beasts and damn near bulletproof with few exceptions. Anyhow congrats on the new zx. Hope to see u around the forum

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. It has been raining and I am reading the manual. Too many buttons on this bike (LOL) and trying to figure out what setting it should be in for the break-in period. Honesty, I was tired of Honda as that was my third Honda. So far the bike seems very light and slim. I installed my tank bag and searching for a better headlight setup.
Thank You again for the welcome.BTW, the bike is 2018 ZX10R ABS. Silver color with green accent.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Nice, I had a white abs from 17, a krt abs from 18 and am now on an SE, also an 18. Before that I had an 05. As for the fireblade, truth be told, the ride characteristics of the cbr are second to none. They feel like they are on rails, I love the seat height and position and the feel but they tend to be a lil under powered and a bit heavy and feel like they lack that crazy raw power that only the kawi offers. I guess the cbr is too refined but still a nice machine. Def more linearity when it comes to the power it puts down. Much more mid range torque than the zx10R. Still would take a zx over a cbr any day. Was looking at an sp1 or 2 before I got my current baby... Happy I made the choice I did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You all. I appreciate the input and guidance. Twister: The CBR 2012 I had was much refined than the 2004 and 05 I had, but you are right. it was heavy. Power was just as you described. I had done only two mods on it. One was the HID retrofit projectors and the second one was the slip-on. On my truck, (Nissan Frontier), I replaced the factory bulbs with LED and those have been very good. I believe the bulbs on this Kawi are H7. I am getting old and I need more light at night. Down the road when I get more familiar with this bike, Ii will do the HID retrofit. I loved the lights on the last mod I did. Is there a wright up for taking the headlight out?

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
I posted it somewhere but it's pretty basic. Just get projectors if you do it. Our bikes reflectors don't throw the light out correctly otherwise. I tried to run without them first. It was kinda brighter but it was also very uneven and randomly up in the air. Pretty much you take the whole front of your bike off. It takes some time but while you are in there you can remove all the emissions crap and the ram air flap if you plan on flashing or buying a kit from woolich or ftecu to flash it yourself. To install the projector you need to actually bake the headlight assembly in the oven. Look on you tube for that cause the temp and all that like time really matters and even though I have done it on 3 of my bikes I still watch the video every time. Just make sure you remove all the screws and shit first and put the assembly on a block of wood or a cookie sheet upside down so you don't get grill marks in your plastic. It's well worth the outcome

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information. I am not new to bikes but this ECU flashing is something I have to study first. I understand the benefits but want to know more about what is done? Is it reprogramming of the ECO or completely wiping out the software and then re-written custom software?

BTW here is the pic of the bike. I
have not had a chance to ride it yet LOL. Weather plus workload.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts