Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Hell of an Upgrade!

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Palehorse 
#1 ·
EDIT: we’re calling 19 gen 6?! Lol why?

So sort of on a whim, I decided to look up pricing on the 19 zx10r. My buddy who rides a newer gen (17’ I think) r1 was hyping up having a quick shifter and I really wanted to give them a try.

Long story less long here we are, 06 10r gone and welcome the 19’ KRT zx10r.

Initial impressions:
Initially I was thrown off by how it felt. Although it felt amazing I was used to having to put effort forth to get leaned into a corner. Whereas the new bike seemingly just fell into the corner as soon as I saw where I wanted to go and it’d just get there.

The quick shifter took some adjusting. For a few miles I’d use clutch 1-2 and let off briefly on upshifts as if I were doing clutchless shifts on the 06. The downshifts were only difficult because I was used to gp shifting. Btw if anyone knows of an easy way to convert gen 5’s to gp shift let me know.

Suspension, are they digressive shocks? They feel stiff to me initially. But once I’m at speed it soaks up bumps as if it’s on the softer side.i haven’t changed the factory settings yet but will likely be changing the compression and rebound as the forks are definitely too compressed currently and the rebound is on the stiffer side. Going to be taking it to the canyons before I make any changes.

The brakes are dope and the fact that the lever is adjustable, likely won’t ever change it. Feels great, it’s been raining here and the 06 was sketchy under brakes. With this 19 there’s no doubts about anything.

I’m really anxious to get it out to the canyons this weekend to get an actual fee with some lean angle and hanging off of the bike. I’m bored and jus typing at this point as I’d much rather be out riding but Arizona decided it wants to be more like Seattle (rain). Here are some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Throttle is far from jerky and power delivery is great from what I’ve felt thus far. You may be referring to reviews from the older gen 5s.

I will be getting it flashed/tuned once I figure out which exhaust I want for it.

#10 ·
Nice! Another Arizonan!

If you want to meet up this weekend (or any other) once the rain clears let me know as I just followed you on Instagram. I'll let you have a go at either my 4th gen or 5th gen so you can feel the difference in the bikes. I lived in Tucson for 10+ years before moving back home to MN for a while and recently permanently relocated back to AZ after doing the snowbird thing for a few years. Moved just outside of Phoenix so I don't know the roads here yet and would like to find some riding buddies to show me where the good roads are!

Dm me on Instagram. We’ll be riding tortilla flat this Sunday (canyon ride by the lakes) on the east side.

We can definitely link up and ride. Will be good to have another kawi guy to defend myself from the all of the yama fanboys lol

Join the Facebook group “Sport bikes and chill” it’s a shit show but is usually great for meeting people.

#14 ·
Got through my shakedown in the canyons today. I expected it to take some adjusting but no, it felt very familiar. The seat is wider than the 06s so it took getting used to sliding across it. Was a blast though getting familiar with the bike. It may be weird to say but I find the seating position makes it easier to stay light on the clip ons while also leaning forward and off the bike around a corner.

I’m 5’11/180, at first I though the suspension was far too stiff. All experience I’ve had with stiff suspension I’ve always had the “washy” feeing up front, I expected that with this but it didn’t happen. I suspect the shocks are digressive so they feel really stiff but have a softer feel when actually being ridden. Felt way more plush once I got some speed going. Even on one of the corners where there’s a bump right where you have to weight (I do it early), I didn’t even feel it this go around.

The throttle is twitchy. On corner exits I found myself giving more throttle than intended. I was able to steady it out upon entry but there was multiple times where the amount of throttle I expected to give didn’t match what I felt. ‘Twas fun though.

#15 ·
I know that bike screams in the upper RPM range. How is it in the mid range? That's one of the things I love about my old Gen 2.

This new bike probably does everything else better and I'd probably forget all about that mid-range after riding it right? I'm Just wondering because if I ever got the cash to upgrade I'm curious if it'd be worth to upgrade to the newest and latest 10r or just simply update my current 06'.

#16 ·
It’s awful down low. Anything above like 6k or so is where it wakes up. It definitely does everything better though, everything. Also a flashed ecu and exhaust will wake it up down low more I’m sure.

If you’re considering an upgrade I think it’s worth it just having the electronics. If you upgrade to a 2019 you’ll get the qs and autoblip stock. It’s a game changer man.

I’m 5’11 and around 180 and the seating position is better for me also. If you like track riding to me the 06s seat was better because it was thinner and more rounded. On the 19 I found it more difficult to slide around in the seat with my leathers on.

Pic because it’s a dope ass pic

#22 ·
Not much other than aesthetic mods.
Ditch the fender, double bubble, better grips, rear sets (or not if I can figure out gp shift), tank grips.
Still undecided on exhaust but I really dig SC project. I’ll have the ecu flashed eventually as well. The basics really.

Hey I'm from AZ too! I upgraded from an '06 ZX6R to my '17 ZX10R and love it. I would like to get the ECU flash done but not sure where to go for that.

Hit up the guy who commented above you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.