Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month we had a huge oil leak which covered the bottom of the bike and the rear tire was completely soaked in oil. My buddy tells me the tire is no good any more that you can't get the oil out of it. My mechanic says no if I clean the tire real good with soapy water that the tire does not absorb the oil. Any one had any experience with this problem. Opinions appreciated the tire is brand new just one and a half track days on it. So clean it or buy a new tire decisions decisions. :)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
If the tires been sitting a month with oil on it, scrap it. If you immediately cleaned the tire you might be ok (from my Dunlop supplier), for me it's not worth the risk. I had an oil filter blow it's oring (K+N) and soaked my rear tire in oil, it was an almost brand new Dunlop slick that I junked, it sucks but so does dying.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
so, true story, threw a chain on my r6, went through the case, soaked everything in oil, sold it, dude rebuilt it, ran it all last year on the same rear tire that was literally soaked in oil. now, he's also been riding for around 40 years and way more experience than me. i don't have the confidence to use an oil soaked tire, however, once cleaned properly, which i've been told there are a variety of ways, they are fine. however, i have no confidence to do so and i dont recommend it either. i've come to find confidence, is what makes or breaks ya on a bike.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it and a new tire will be on the way soon. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
84 Posts
The problem is that soap water won't be strong enough from the chemical point of view. The oil itself won't damage the tire rubber but it will stick to it better than sticking to the soap in the water to be washed out.

The procedure I'd recommend is washing with a rag soaked in gasoline. Gasoline will be strong enough to "grab" the oil away from the rubber. The idea is having the tire dirty with gas instead of oil. So be generous with the gas (and use gloves so you don't smell like gas for 17 days). After you're done with gas then you use soapy water. Soap is now strong enough to take the gas away from the tire and gas is not as slippery as oil anyway...

Both oil or gas will not damage the rubber. As being common liquids to be around a tire, the tire is designed to be inert to them. Matter of fact I use to clean the wax off of new tires with gas as an advice from one of the manufacturers (I think michelin, can't really find the link now).

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I would personally clean that sucker up real good and keep riding it.

Use a light bristled brush and a can of solvent, run the brush into the grooves and over the tire thoroughly, use another light bristled brush with some dawn soap and water and do the exact same thing, rinse and repeat with the soap/water again, then hit it with a power washer preferably using hot water. That should extract all the oil from the tire, assuming the tire wasn't left submerged in the oil for an extended amount of time.

Chunk it if you're worried. The above process should thoroughly clean it up for another 2k miles of use :thumbsup:

·
The Pace
6,962 Posts
Can oil cause the tire to fall apart? I get highway oil and crud all the time. When I clean wd40 get on the rear, I guess. idk, but guess I'd just geek a lap and see how it feels.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the bike was just street ridden I would consider cleaning the tire as mentioned above but since its on a track bike and will be pushed harder than on the street I will feel more comfortable with a new one. Oh and I already am getting 10 bucks for it lol.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A lot of people soak their tires in oil before riding at tracks (predominately people who race pitbikes or supermotos). By soaking in oil, it actually gives the bike more traction. (Its called tire doping, look it up if you don't believe me).

Clean it and ride.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of people soak their tires in oil before riding at tracks (predominately people who race pitbikes or supermotos). By soaking in oil, it actually gives the bike more traction. (Its called tire doping, look it up if you don't believe me).

Clean it and ride.
I have heard of that.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

Clean it and ride.
Interesting...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Interesting subject.

If I may perhaps add a chemistry phenomenon to the equation; I tried to fill up a VW jetta with a gas can once. The gas tank had a strong flap that didn't allow gas to just flow down into it. So, after trying different things I ended using a plastic coat hanger to push open the flap while pouring the gas in. After pouring 1 gallon in I pulled the hanger out and it had melted completely. Totally disintegrated. So the moral is keep in mind that these petroleum and gas products have extremely volatile chemistries. Even saying the tire is OK after oil and gas were soaking on it makes me doubt it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The hanger was probably made of polystyrene, that breaks down in contact with gas. I learned that when measuring gas with a red party cup. Couldn't even finish filling he cup! lol

Of course a hanger in a gallon of gas won't do anything, but just out of curiosity, the goo generated by a mixture with around 50/50 can be used as gelled gasoline, similar to napalm.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Gen 1 home today got some serious degreasing to do lol. I'm sure living in a hot dry climate like Arizona may have contributed to the o ring failure but like I said earlier its something Gen 1 owners may want to keep an eye on as you could destroy your motor plus go on your ass if it fails. Especially since its a three dollar part. I really like my Gen 1 glad it didn't commit sepaku. LMAO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts