Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone ever put heat wrap on a titanium race pipe (akrapovic) & if so did it affect the exhaust valves. I have heard it can burn the valve seat's but don't know if this is true

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know about burning the valves, but I do know it will make the titanium brittle over time from trapping the heat in. Believe me when I say that exhaust wrap is a fad with no top race teams using them. I've seen it done on some Ducatis but more to avoid burning your leg than anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know about burning the valves, but I do know it will make the titanium brittle over time from trapping the heat in. Believe me when I say that exhaust wrap is a fad with no top race teams using them. I've seen it done on some Ducatis but more to avoid burning your leg than anything.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The ole "brittle" argument. Commonly used against BST wheels and not true there either.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Fat chance getting any accurate information...

The term Titanium gets tossed out there with no specifications.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can’t speak to the long term effects on Titanium commonly used in motorcycle exhausts, but, it’s not a good idea for uncoated “steel” headers and I use the term steel very loosely here.

I can tell you that it can seriously drop the engine compartment temp in a cage and can significantly drop the temp around the headers. Previous poster is correct about Ducati use, but it’s also in an effort to preserve the voltage regulator, which Ducati mounted in a very tight spot between the horizontal cylinder and the header. I got ? 7k miles out of mine :surprise:

It’s not easy to put on mounted headers, and it is a magnet for oil, creating a perpetual smoke cloud around your bike / cage. I’ve used it on a few vehicles over the years and I’ve never seen the headers compromised before getting rid of the vehicle in question. Have not seen valves, seats or other components fail as a result.

YMMV

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have had my headers wrapped for about 2 seasons now with no ill effects, however I have no clue how it performs on Ti. I'm using a graves stainless headers. I've also used wrap on my old turbo integras ram horn turbo manifold with no no problem. It seemed to reduce under hood Temps quite a decent amount. I think it's probably more useful on cages, especially if they are forced induction. That said, riding next to most of my friends bikes at slow speeds mine usually runs a bit cooler. Maybe it's just coincidence, or it is because more of the heat is being kept away from the radiator. From a performance standpoint, hotter gasses flow faster than cooler gasses, so in theory if you can keep the heat in, you'll have better flow which will make more power. IIRC, member here LDH was able to see a gain on the dyno with wrapped headers. I think it was 1-3 who or somewhere around there. Not sure it's worth it as a performance mod, but hey, better than nothing and I did it to keep the heat down around the bike.

Reactions: kawasaki210

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Wrapping keeps heat of hot exhaust gas, in the pipe(s), and that is a good thing to reduce heat to area outside the engine, getting back to the engine.

As far as performance on a naturally aspired engine... It ain't helping... Thingy is.. Hotter exhaust gas, is larger volume, and that is a tad harder to get out of the pipes.
Now if it is a turbo Charged engine, the larger volume and higher speed of the gas getting pushed out, increases the turbo speed, and that increases the boost.. So that is a good thing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wrapping keeps heat of hot exhaust gas, in the pipe(s), and that is a good thing to reduce heat to area outside the engine, getting back to the engine.

As far as performance on a naturally aspired engine... It ain't helping... Thingy is.. Hotter exhaust gas, is larger volume, and that is a tad harder to get out of the pipes.
Now if it is a turbo Charged engine, the larger volume and higher speed of the gas getting pushed out, increases the turbo speed, and that increases the boost.. So that is a good thing. :thumbsup:
Hotter = less dense. As exhaust gas cools, it expands which slows the flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts