Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
once i adopt my new project i am looking to start off by wrapping my turbo headers, gas tank bottom and air box in thermal tape or heat tape, what ever you call it. where can i find some good shiit and whats your opinion on this?

*i tried searching the forum but couldnt find anything before my A.D.D. kicked in:badteeth:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, rep sent. it'd make wrapping a little easier if they had 3'' tape.
that stuff is pretty pricey but im sure its cheap then ceramic coating

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yeah its pricey, but it works. Kept my lower plastics from melting. They began to melt shortly after riding the bike after I put the new exhaust on. I've ridden probably 2.5k miles since then with no problems at all. I'm sure you can find some wider tape. I would consider calling a car performance shop. I talked to a few that actually had different widths of header wrap. It seems like 3" wrap was available.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Go to your local performance car shop and ask for "muffler tape"...car guys use it all the time and I just used it on the bike..its super effective..you can secure it with a few simple clamps at the ends...

·
Registered
819 Posts
DO NOT WRAP YOUR TURBO HEADER, YOU WILL DESTROY IT.

If you want to do anything to it, take it to get ceramic coated.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Reflective "tape" is good for surfaces that are getting blasted, but be carefull with installing wrap on titanium. It ( the ti) tends to go brittle and crack.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh ok. no wraping the headers, gotcha. ill just take care of the tank.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,018 Posts
I like the look of the wrap, gives it kind that "raw" look, very cool. I here its very effective too. How bout some pics when youre done?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the look of the wrap, gives it kind that "raw" look, very cool. I here its very effective too. How bout some pics when youre done?
oh trust me, ill post a thread once the turbo and tune is complete. i cant see it finished until late june. i have a lil vacation to attend w the wife early june, so that will postpone things.

but as stated above i will not be wrapping my headers w the tape because it apparently will destroy them. which makes me ask, why do people risk wrapping headers then?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
holy balls! $30 for a 12''x27'' sheet! i'll wait until i experience some serious heat problems. i just bought a used 05 zx105 gas tank heat shield off of ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts